Newbie leather VS Textile??

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
Big thanks for all those who have posted. After taking my first short rides on my FZ I am going to go with leather or the Kevlar.

So with that in mind what are some good leather brands and jackets that have the liners and such so I can gear them up for semi cold and hot weather.

Thanks

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Abrasion resistance is incredibly important, but it's not the only factor.

It is my understanding (and it makes sense) that in a crash it is better to slide than to roll. Sure, a slide endangers your skin, but a roll endangers your body as a whole - most notably your bones.

I'm told that generally speaking textile is more likely to slide, while leather is more likely to cause you to roll.

(Just thought I'd chime in to muddy the waters further :thumbup:)

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
That kevlar website has really opened my eyes. I am truly regretful spending $988 on my Dainese leather jacket, as that Air mesh jacket seems exactly what I truly need (i spent so much on my jacket I dont want to get stuck in rain and ruin it, so I have to bring a rain jacket with me)

Savin the pennies, a suit of that stuff is next on the list!

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That kevlar website has really opened my eyes. I am truly regretful spending $988 on my Dainese leather jacket, as that Air mesh jacket seems exactly what I truly need (i spent so much on my jacket I dont want to get stuck in rain and ruin it, so I have to bring a rain jacket with me)

Savin the pennies, a suit of that stuff is next on the list!

It does look like some amazing body armor.
With the upgrades the air mesh kevlar is about $800, and if you've really taken good care of that Dainese jacket it might have some resale value.

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
leather looks more bada55. chicks dig leather. well, i wouldnt know myself ....but if movies/tv are right then yes

sometimes dressing well is about layering your clothes.
you can always get a good piece of body armor and throw a thin layer of designer leather over top.

great motorcycle gear is designed to be skin tight, so that would probably work.

H3LR4ZR

Insomniac
Reaction score
brhelwig.com
Living in Western ND...i can speak to your climate situation.

Go with leather and wear a base layer. I personally swear by Under Armour which you can get at a Scheels or Cabelas, but I'm sure there is other equivalent stuff that works.

For brands of gear I like Alpinestars. I don't think there are many brands that match the quality/ bang for buck that they offer.

I got a TZ-1 jacket from motorcycle superstore on sale for $219 to replace my off-brand textile I rode around with last year, I love it so far.

Have taken it on a few hour long trips which has me riding in 90 degree weather in the afternoon and low 40s past midnight. Has worked out great for me.

LittleRed

Reaction score
Visit site
After taking my first short rides on my FZ I am going to go with leather or the Kevlar.

Kevlar. Hands down. Worth the pennies by far. It will last you forever and, if you get the right combination of stuff, can be used in any type of weather and temperature. Not to mention it is superior to leather in just about every way and offers better body armor, a lifetime warranty, and a custom fit.

FZ6_Tengu

Reaction score
Visit site
Something you might notce on jacjets and pants now-a-days is the "denier" rating. If I remember right leather has a denier rating of about 600 but it has been a little while since I look. Codura on the other hand has something like a 1000 denier rating and is a synthetic fiber as well.

I rode in Colorado through October with a Scorpion Hat Trick jacjet which had the thermal and rain liner and only occasionally had to wear an extra jacket under it. Then I moved to Texas and gave to work to stay out of traffic or I roast in my mesh Joe Rocket jacket. I've thought about a perforated leather jacket since I like the look and the higer collar that is sometimes hard to find on the textile jackets. Im still looking for my perfect fit though.

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
You can't assign a denier rating to leather.

By definition:
Denier is a unit of measure for the linear mass density of fibers. It is defined as the mass in grams per 9,000 meters.

In other words, the term only refers to specific fiber density. Since leather isn't a fiber...

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
I use both depending on the 1) the weather and 2) the type of riding I am doing.

I mostly wear my Icon Motorhead leather jacket whether I am on one of my sport bikes or my cruiser. But, sometimes it is just stifling hot here in Texas (we had 100+ degrees days quite often this past summer) and I will wear one of my mesh/textile jackets for comfort.

I have no allusions that my textile will hold up as well as leather, but it is a calculated risk that I take.

Here is a pic of my Icon jacket after a spill going somewhere between 35-45mph across the concrete. I don't quite know how fast I was going because all I remember is leaving work for lunch and waking up in the hospital! Point is, after cleaning it there was hardly a mark on it.

jacket.jpg