Newbie guilt complex?

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, having my FZ for just over a month now and squeezing in 4 good rides in the twisties for around 400 miles, I seem to be suffering from "punishing my FZ6 when I ride" syndrome. I go through the pre flight checklist... fresh oil and filter-check, chain cleaned, lubed and adjusted-check, brakes good-check, etc. The I proceed to go out and drive the poor thing like a bat out of heck. Wicking on the gas hard to the corners, hard braking, wick it on again..repeat. Don't get me wrong, I'm having one heck of a time, grinning from ear to ear. But can these bikes really take this kind of abuse? :spank: And I haven't even hit 10,000 rpm yet!
Please someone tell me it's o.k. before I become even more traumatized.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I always assumed sportbikes are meant to be ridden a tad under the red :) That reasoning is the main reason why I've used 5th gear only once in my life and that's when I was going 130mph :D I try to keep the steam up as much as I can ... + I enjoy the 2bros music :BLAA:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, that's all I needed to hear. :thumbup:
I was pretty sure that I haven't ridden it half as "well" as alot of people on the forum have...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride Mosquito Ridge Rd. where I leave it in second gear and vary between 7k and red line for close to 10 miles. Learn to use the gears and you won't need to do hard braking to run a quick pace. Smooth throttle inputs are the key.
The less you use the brakes the less you will upset the suspension and then you can carry more corner speed and control.
The FZ6 loves it.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it goes away after a while. i feel guilty about not taking as much care of her as i should.

the old girls been through the wars. lowsided her at speed twice, mini crashed her once, and she sits thru the winter with battery still in and an owner who puts off putting in fuel stabilzer for the first month or two. still havent changed the oil since season ended so its stewing.

God damn she's a veteran of the wars with dings, scratches, scrapes, busted bits, the works.

*salutes bike*

oh and yeah rev her she likes it. in fact you can hear in the engine note she is grumbling and muttering about being in low revs. rev her up and she sings!

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride it like you stole it! I have been revving the crap out of, treating gearbox and clutch with little respect, on my fizzer for nearly 40000km's now! And the bike shows no sign of distress!

But you do need to make sure you change the oil, keep everything adjusted, tight, and in good working order....nothing will last if you use it, and don't maintain it!!!

The motor in the FZ6 is a slightly "de-tuned" R6 motor, which is probably over-engineered for reliabilty, as well as being an engine layout that Yamaha have been improving upon for a long time now, and have managed to make it pretty bullet proof along the way...have you ever heard of many R6's motors expiring, on road, or track??? I ain't!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, having my FZ for just over a month now and squeezing in 4 good rides in the twisties for around 400 miles, I seem to be suffering from "punishing my FZ6 when I ride" syndrome. I go through the pre flight checklist... fresh oil and filter-check, chain cleaned, lubed and adjusted-check, brakes good-check, etc. The I proceed to go out and drive the poor thing like a bat out of heck. Wicking on the gas hard to the corners, hard braking, wick it on again..repeat. Don't get me wrong, I'm having one heck of a time, grinning from ear to ear. But can these bikes really take this kind of abuse? :spank: And I haven't even hit 10,000 rpm yet!
It's okay to thrash your FZ6 around sometimes, but you also have to remember to be gentle sometimes.

A gentle ride, stop and smell the roses,......

Nah, she was made for speed and twisties. ENJOY..........

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep the oil changed, the chain lubed and within spec, fuel in the tank, at least 1 tire on the ground (most of the time), and the FZ will carry you to hell and back. :thumbup:

k1c

Reaction score
Visit site

Revs are your friend!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are such enablers!:thumbup:
I'm really trying to put my racing days behind me, which is why I only wear street safety riding gear and not my leathers with the knee pucks.
About the only good thing about this economy being so bad and being self employed is that on slow week days, instead of sitting around the shop, my wife kicks me out to go for a ride when the weekday road traffic is almost non existant.
Cheers everyone. :D

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I think folks need to start worrying when they don't rev it and don't put miles on it. Now that's abuse.

"For sale: 2005 FZ6, 1857 miles: I never had much time to ride it but it sat in my garage and never saw rain; gently ridden and never rev'ed."

Articles like that make me cringe :eek:.

A friend has an '89 Honda VTR with 5K miles on it.

4126258526_f17500ac7f.jpg

He wanted me to ride it late Fall because it didn't get more than 100 miles last year. I rode it about 50 miles that day and rev'ed it (not redline either). I think that was the most fun it's had for most of its life. You could swear it was smiling :D.

Dennis

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are such enablers!:thumbup:
I'm really trying to put my racing days behind me, which is why I only wear street safety riding gear and not my leathers with the knee pucks.
About the only good thing about this economy being so bad and being self employed is that on slow week days, instead of sitting around the shop, my wife kicks me out to go for a ride when the weekday road traffic is almost non existant.
Cheers everyone. :D

if i were you i would hide behind a bush and see what my wife was getting up to in the meantime!!

sounds suspicious her asking you to get more saddle time......most wives complain and nag.... (from what ive heard from others on here anyway :p)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think folks need to start worrying when they don't rev it and don't put miles on it. Now that's abuse.

"For sale: 2005 FZ6, 1857 miles: I never had much time to ride it but it sat in my garage and never saw rain; gently ridden and never rev'ed."

Articles like that make me cringe :eek:.

A friend has an '89 Honda VTR with 5K miles on it.

4126258526_f17500ac7f.jpg

He wanted me to ride it late Fall because it didn't get more than 100 miles last year. I rode it about 50 miles that day and rev'ed it (not redline either). I think that was the most fun it's had for most of its life. You could swear it was smiling :D.

Dennis

we need people like that to give us great deals on lightly used motorcycles years down the road.

they are an integral part of our economy :)

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't shift till i hit the rev limiter!!! try to kill it I dare you......you can't do it........beleive me i've tried... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :BLAA:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't shift till i hit the rev limiter!!! try to kill it I dare you......you can't do it........beleive me i've tried... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :BLAA:

Yep, pretty much indestructable is the FZ6 donk...gets better with age, as long as it is treated with love...good oil, regular srvices, etc...and even that is childs play to keep up with the FZ6 service intervals.

:rockon: