newbi considering purchase

skm348

Reaction score
Visit site
Newbie here.Thinking about buying one. Been looking at the FZ1 and FJR but they are more. Read a nice review of bike but it said you always are shifting to stay in powerband. I realize torque is lower on a 600cc but what is real world driving like? How is power off the bottom? Is it comfortable on an interstate cruise? I can spend more for the others but for $5800 I found a brand new leftover '07. Will I have 90% of the bang-per-buck? Pls give me all real world pros and cons. I really like the bike but have also found some mint 06 FJR 1300s in $8500 range. Previous rides were an 02 V-star 1100 and 05 Roadstar 1700.
Thanks

n.e.mich

Reaction score
Visit site
Traded my FZ6 in on a FZ1.......The power difference is unbelievable.

The FZ6 was pretty good but the FZ1 just does everything better...smoother shifting, better ride, fully adjustable suspension, etc...etc.
The 600 was just too buzzy for me and I did find myself shifting a lot. It was fun for sure and a great bike but 2 up riding wasn't as smooth and comfortable as the FZ1 (my wife loves to ride).
The one negative I have is the mileage difference. My FZ6 was great!
If you are in the market for a 600, you can't go wrong with the FZ6!
I can't comment on the FJR too much, I have sat on a few but never ridden one. Will probably be my next bike though.

Last edited:

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a thread that talks about pros and cons:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/16980-buy-fz6.html

Also, if you are not currently a rider, or are new to riding, please read this:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html

Yes, the FZ6 is a wonderful bike, which is why we have so many members on the forum who own it. Read the second link I posted, make an informed decision on the size of the bike you want to get, then get a test ride on a few bikes in that class and then make your decision. The FZ6 is not a bike for everyone in the same way an FZ1 or an FJR is not. Try out many bikes and see which one fits.

Good luck :thumbup:
Manas.

skm348

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. I realize the FZ1 anf FJR are different bikes and I definately need to take that into consideration. A few test rides will certainly help. How is the FZ6 around town and on the hwy? Is throttle response ok at low rpm or does it really have to be above 7k for good results? I'll read your link SAP
Joe

n.e.mich

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. I realize the FZ1 anf FJR are different bikes and I definately need to take that into consideration. A few test rides will certainly help. How is the FZ6 around town and on the hwy? Is throttle response ok at low rpm or does it really have to be above 7k for good results? I'll read your link SAP
Joe

I never really felt like I had to live in the powerband to ride it, has plenty of power. There is a huge difference once above 7000 rpm though!
Around town it was great, 600-700 miles with my wife on the back.....not so much. It can be done but it started to feel like a moped by the time we got home.
I see your coming from a VStar and a RoadStar. Just wondering if the FZ6 will feel "big" enough for you.

Last edited:

skm348

Reaction score
Visit site
Manas -Great first link, I think I'm just about convinced. BTW,

-what are frame slidders?
-I'm 5'10", does the stk windshield protect ok?
-Are their any side bag capabilities, or racks for local trips to the store?
-I' sure it's typical Yamaha reliability, right?
Sorry for all the questions!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
around town i don't really go above 7k. for the first month or so that i owned the bike i never really went past 7/8k and it did just fine. my previous ride was an '83 honda gl650. coming to the fz6 from that i never felt like i had power issues. and i don't have to do a ton of shifting. i'm sure there are better bikes. but this one does everything i need it to do. it does have some buzz. but i got a set of grip puppies and i don't hardly notice it anymore.

i have recently had fun with the +8K range. honestly, if you stay in that range you won't get out of 3rd gear on just about any road in the u.s. two weeks ago i was on a back road and decided to see what all the +8k fuss was about. took off, shifted to second at about 12k and then shifted to 3rd at about 10-12k and was going close to 80mph. since the speed limit was 55 i slowed back down and shifted up for a smoother ride. so i don't worry a whole lot about the +8k range. there is plenty of power in the 6k range, you can use a few more gears and it's a smoother ride in that range. since i got the bike for commuting to work this is perfect for me. i wasn't looking for a bike to race around on. and since it's just me there is more than enough power. but if i was doing a lot of 2up i would seriously consider an fz1.

hope that helps some.

skm348

Reaction score
Visit site
NE, I was actually tired of the bulk of the cruisers and want something a little more nimble. BTW, do the grip puppies reduce vibration?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
NE, I was actually tired of the bulk of the cruisers and want something a little more nimble. BTW, do the grip puppies reduce vibration?

i would say that they help absorb some of the vibration. before, my right hand would go numb with about an hour+ of riding. after putting on the puppies i haven't had that happen yet. i still feel some vibration... but not a lot. just enough to let me know i'm on a motorcycle.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site

Frame sliders are kinda like pegs that you mount on either side of your bike to protect it at slower speeds, like parking lot falls and under 30 mph crashes, where you are more worried about the bike getting scratched up than you. They do not offer much protection at higher speeds though, but at those speeds you are more worried about yourself anyways. Check out my album, I think I have a couple of pictures of the sliders on my bike.

The stock windscreen is adequate. I replaced it with a Puig double bubble sport screen after about a year and that is a world of difference. It costs about 70-75 bucks depending on where you get it from.

A lot of forum members have installed Givi, Cortech (hard and soft) bags. The bike is a sport tourer after all. You can also get magnetic tank bags for trips to the store.

Reliability...no issues at all.

-Manas.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site

I am 5'10" and the windscreen is perfect for me. The wind coming over the screen hits me just below the chinbar on my helmet. This keeps it off of my chest, which can get tiring, and from directly hitting my helmet which is very noisy and causes a lot of buffeting.

I use Cortech sport saddle and tail bags. These are great for a light trip to the store. I have brought home 2 gallons of milk and some other small items with no problems. I love mine and think they were well worth the money.

As for the reliability, I only have 1900 miles on it. All 1900 have been a blast and completely worry free. Good luck on making your decision.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Joe, get the FJR. I own both and for me the FJR is a better multi purpose bike if you want to do 2 up or long rides. Plus with the side bags and a rack it is much easier to haul whatever. The FJR will give good milage like the 6 and runs on reg. gas. plus you will love the power(145 ponies!)

I bought my 6 for day rides, I live in the mountains with lots of twisty roads and that is where the FZ is fun (the FJR is no slouch either) but yes you do shift a lot more and it is buzzy compaired the the Feejer. 250 miles on the FZ 6 and I am done where as on the FJR you will be ready to double that before dark.

85ish for a 06 seems like a good price, you can always sell the FJR if you don't like it. Oh ya and I LOVE the ABS brakes on the FJR!

Good luck on your purchase feel free to pm me with any FJR questions.
The FJR forum has a ton of info if you care to poke around over there.

n.e.mich

Reaction score
Visit site

I don't blame you, had a cruisers myself once. The FZ6 is DEFINITELY more nimble! The grip puppies do help with the buzz, I wouldn't say it's totally eliminated but a lot more comfortable. I also prefer a little thicker grip than stock so it works out perfect for me.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome: Enjoy and Ride Safe!

If you are new to riding the street, which I would guess you are given some of the information in your posts, I would suggest staying away from the litre bikes.

If you just have to have a litre bike, then I would suggest picking up a 250 used, ride it, wreck it, learn on it for at least a year then get the litre bike.

If you want your first purchase to be something more long-term, then I would suggest a used FZ6, CAUTION: This can be a great first bike if you respect it, if you don't it will be hazardous to your health. The FZ6 is my first and currently only street bike, I've logged about 20,000 miles on it in the last three years and it's capabilites still exceed my skill level.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Enjoy and Ride Safe!

If you are new to riding the street, which I would guess you are given some of the information in your posts, I would suggest staying away from the litre bikes.

If you just have to have a litre bike, then I would suggest picking up a 250 used, ride it, wreck it, learn on it for at least a year then get the litre bike.

If you want your first purchase to be something more long-term, then I would suggest a used FZ6, CAUTION: This can be a great first bike if you respect it, if you don't it will be hazardous to your health. The FZ6 is my first and currently only street bike, I've logged about 20,000 miles on it in the last three years and it's capabilites still exceed my skill level.
These are fun bike's ain't they......:rockon: :D

skm348

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for great replies. Now, re a used bike. I've found an 07 used w/11k miles. I know these are bullet proof but do these engines go a long way? Is it possible for this bike to be abused and still run good on a test ride? I'm no mechanic but if I can get a good price and bike seems solid I may go for it. I've found some '08 close-outs for $5400 and $5800. Given that, I think a used 07 should be worth proportionately less.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for great replies. Now, re a used bike. I've found an 07 used w/11k miles. I know these are bullet proof but do these engines go a long way? Is it possible for this bike to be abused and still run good on a test ride? I'm no mechanic but if I can get a good price and bike seems solid I may go for it. I've found some '08 close-outs for $5400 and $5800. Given that, I think a used 07 should be worth proportionately less.

'07s are great bikes. The price on the new '08 sounds like a good deal, but beware of dealer add on; prep, shipping, document handling, etc. That can add $2,500 and make a good deal a not so good deal.

What's the price of the used '07? if it is bone stock and the tires are in good shape it sounds like the better deal as '07s and '08s are mechanically the same.

skm348

Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, I've confirmed 08 prices I gave you are good, less tax sales tax of course. The -07 is stk but I don't know about the tires. Sounds like as long as you keep oil in them they'll last forever, right! Any mechanical things I should inquire about other than if maintenance has been done etc? Tks