New Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat 98 owner

smokey1005

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey My name is king I'm from Gainesville ga, just got me a Yamaha YZF 600 R Thundercat 98 this weekend for a good price nice little project to work on Im super excited and want to do some mod... But I'm new to motorcycling and don't know anything about fixing them. So need some help and some guidance... Here's a List of things I know it needs done
1.) new fairing
2.) carb news to be clean
3.) new battery
4.) and probably a full maintenance ( has been siting for a while)
5.) and speedometer not staying in place

Will post some pics in the morning if it stops raining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the carbs on two Thundercats following very good instructions with pictures on the Thundercat forum. One had "suicide throttle", which accelerated as you closed the throttle due to a vacuum leak caused by misaligning the airbox clamps on the rubber hosing, and the other had blocked jets.

Just take your time and follow the instructions; it is not difficult.

View attachment 65668

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smokey1005

Reaction score
Visit site
dd10830f1e6c17c2cf3882037231090f.jpg
60f8aa0e7c7434a0d5d308073a167e1b.jpg
b640d44fa03e5b968dbfb5bc83dbc0bd.jpg
a69b1b6b9c397b0665a907bcf189b062.jpg

smokey1005

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the carbs on two Thundercats following very good instructions with pictures on the Thundercat forum. One had "suicide throttle", which accelerated as you closed the throttle due to a vacuum leak caused by misaligning the airbox clamps on the rubber hosing, and the other had blocked jets.

Just take your time and follow the instructions; it is not difficult.

View attachment 65668

What thundercat forum did you use?

smokey1005

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy I got it from already toke the carb out and did half and mixed up the parts [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31][emoji31][emoji31] but going shopping this weekend for tools and cleaning stuff to start on this project this weekend
8c7e61330b76b744df8cb53e23a6e995.jpg
8785044370723a76fee89b9fb1dfd319.jpg

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck and enjoy. It will be greatly satisfying when you have the machine running!
All the hassle will be worth it.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi King, welcome to our forum. As the number of longer term members move to different bikes the knowledge that comes through also expands. The number of folk now buying FZ6ers also changes our membership but that also brings in people with lots of experience.
I am sorry but I only have one thing I can advise at the moment, and that is.....
.....make sure you keep that carpet clean or your missus will have kittens and you'll never hear the end of it!!!

in all seriousness, we will all be keen to hear how your project progresses
best of luck with it
cheers

smokey1005

Reaction score
Visit site
So found out the carb I had wasn't the carb for the bike and that my carb for my bike was still in there lol so next project this weekend is takin that bad boy out and cleaning it

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum King!
We have many great members here with lot's of experience.
Don't know if you've done any of the MSF course but it is very important and we want to see you have the greatest experience with your riding. Pay attention to getting your course done and good gear on once you get your bike back on the road. :)

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
What I meant is that the bike is not too big
My female cousin had one and she is 5'4. Absolutely loved her bike. Toured Spain on it too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can I use this to clean the carb and just burst off any extra left over ?

You can use it for cleaning however its IMPERATIVE to remove ALL THE JETS, IDLE and MAIN. Those are what usually clog up. Its rare I even pull the slides, etc as the bowls / jets clog up with varnish, especially if left with OLD, untreated fuel. Blowing the orifices is good too. I use brake cleaner around rubber parts.

Varnished up, METAL PARTS/JETS, I use carb cleaner as its much more aggressive. A moot point if your using a dip...

If you CANNOT see thru EACH JET, it ISN'T CLEAN...

And, often over looked. Inspect the fuel tank, flush as necessary until it's spotless.

Also remove the on/off FUEL valve, clean, check, etc. It usually runs off (opens, allows flow) of vacuum

Last edited:

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a thundercat before this motorcycle. Was a good motorcycle. You should join the forum mentioned earlier, lots of 600r knowledge on there. I still check it out every once in a while. My carbs looked different than the ones you posted a few posts back, and I never seperated them like that, I kept all 4 together. I got to where I could get those things out in about 10 minutes.

Youre going to want to do a carb sync once you get everything back together, and make sure to check the float levels. One thing to check when you get the carbs apart are the orings on the fuel shotuff valve in the bowl. One of those cracks or gets ****ty and you'll get a nice flow of fuel out the overflow. Another thing, I replaced the fuel hose from the tank to the pump with one that was about 2 feet long so i could sit the tank to the side and still have fuel for carb syncs and stuff. Also helps with the float check. You dont measure like a regular carb, you let the carbs fill up, attach a tube and theres a mark on the side of the float bowl. The fuel should be 7mm below it. (thats from memory, check the forum or service manual to be sure).

Last edited: