New windscreen?

dfroese3

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone replaced their windscreen with the higher (12.5 cm added) Givi touring windshield? As I am over 6 feet tall and do a lot of highway riding, I wonder if spending the $150 to replace this would make a big difference to the amount of wind-buffeting i currently experience? Any thoughts on this?

nikkifezz

Reaction score
Visit site
yes, anything other than stock windshield will help reduce a lot of wind in your face. i am 5'-6". i just replaced my stock with puig race screen. very very noticeable in difference.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone replaced their windscreen with the higher (12.5 cm added) Givi touring windshield? As I am over 6 feet tall and do a lot of highway riding, I wonder if spending the $150 to replace this would make a big difference to the amount of wind-buffeting i currently experience? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for asking this question as I too have been wondering the same thing myself. Unless I'm tucked and lying with my chin on the gastank, (which is only fun when you're going WAY TOO FAST), I too take a horrific buffeting sometimes, (especially when passing 18 wheelers).

Last edited:

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Simple answer, no. If you want to long version, do a search on the forum for windscreens. Just about all of them for our bikes are reviewed here. Plenty of good information.

There is a trade off when you go bigger windscreen which is explained pretty well in other threads.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried searching Puig and could not find a review. Plenty of posts came up mentioning the windscreen but no review. If we all just used search wouldn't we have nothing to talk about?

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
the trade off mentioned is noise, the mid height screens like Puig, Givi and
the OEM touring screen do a good job at directing turbulence higher and
reduce buffeting, but they are noisy, really fricken noisy, if you want more
wind protection that won't force you to plug your ears I think you have to get
a really tall screen like CalSci or Cee Bailey that really change the look of
your bike, and I agree about the search comment, a bunch of guys logging
in and re-reading old threads sounds boring to me, lets chat

another option is to cut down the stock screen, some here have done it and love it

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am by no means against chatting, but, there are plenty of posts here about windscreens and how they affect your riding. I know, I wrote some of them (as I am probably the record holder for "most screens tried" here) and read about plenty others. "Search" is good to do, because, in some cases, folks around here will say "great, yet another windscreen thread, and ignore it" and you will not get the answers you are looking for. ;) I am just trying to point OP to a direction that is worth looking to get the answers s/he is seeking.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
So, for a 5'8" person like me, which screen do I spend my money on? It will be for those 400+ mile days. The stock one might be switched for the local backroad days.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the puig, I'm right at 6', I don't get as much buffeting as I did with the stock screen. With the stock screen my head would get slapped around if there was any kind of cross wind at all, with the puig not so much

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
So, for a 5'8" person like me, which screen do I spend my money on? It will be for those 400+ mile days. The stock one might be switched for the local backroad days.

I'm the same height and found the Puig Double Bubble to be worse for
buffeting than the stock screen, The Yamaha touring screen provides
much cleaner air stream but is unbearably noisy, so much so that that
I wear ear plugs all the time, looking for the same solution as you:
screen for long rides that will provide wind and rain protection without
making me deaf...MadStad Robobrackets as posted up here by Willard
looks like the most protective solution I've seen, butt ugly though but
I'm gonna order the set up with an adventure windshield and use for
long trips, stock screen for buzzing around, my $.02

Yamaha Ya Ya

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking it was just me at 5'6" and being a woman, I felt pretty blown while on the HWY today. I am going to do some research and get some info. refarding all of your suggestions!

Thanks guys,
Yamaha ya ya

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the bike year may have something to do with buffeting. I have a 2005 with a stock windscreen. I tried the Yamaha OEM touring screen and the buffeting was worse than the standard screen, it moved the wind just under my chin making the noise unbearable. I went back to the stock screen but I cut a hole in the lower part of the screen. It gives the the screen a laminar lip type of wind flow now. The wind comes off the top of the screen and comes straight back with little to no turbulence. I can put my hand by the gauges and feel just a small amount of wind coming up between the gauge and windscreen. I think the hole equalizes the pressure between the front and backside of the windscreen. I still get some wind on my helmet, but there is little to no turbulence coming off the top edge.

Although I have not tried a 2007 and up fz6, I think the wind buffeting on the 2004-2006 is different than the 2007 and up because there is a hole under the windscreen to equalize the pressure. I am going to take the touring windscreen and put the same hole in that to see if there is the same difference.

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the larger tinted puig double bubble windscreen and it's just a bit bigger than stock and that 3 or so inches mine is longer makes a big difference. Still getting hit with some air, but much less than stock. Just enough air to keep your helmet cool :)

I'm 6'

Also, if I'm wearing my thicker winter/rain jacket I get tossed around a lot more with the wind with either screen, but with my summer jacket (that fits fairly tight) there's a noticeable difference as I mentioned.

dfroese3

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I think i may just continue to grin and bear the wind buffeting. Sounds like the fix may end up worse! :eek:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Givi windscreen you are talking about on my 06 fz6. I'm 6 ft tall with a 33" inseam. That said, the Givi takes the wind off my chest at highway speeds allowing alot less fatigue for longer rides. Wind hits the top of my shoulders and up, but causes alot more turbulence to flow under my helmet. The windnoise is pretty loud without earplugs...almost unbearable. I have purchased a windjammer 2 for my helmet (by Tony Proline in England-about $23 shipped) and the combination has helped,but not eliminated the windnoise.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'1" and a bit, and put on a Puig touring screen. What a difference, it's great. One odd thing - when I first put it on I didn't bother with the rubber strip that goes around the edge, and I wasn't that impressed with the performace. After I put on that strip, it was perfect. Go figure.

IMG_1409.jpg

Last edited: