New TS seat, first impressions

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I just rec'd my new Top Saddlery seat last night and figured I'd post a few impressions.

First, although the box was a bit crushed on one corner the seat was well packed; double bagged and lots of shredded foam for packing. The seat itself was in fine shape, no holes or cracks. The rubber bumpers transferred with little effort. It does not fit as cleanly as stock, a bit more gap in front and back as many others have noticed. Not a biggie, just an observation.

On first sit I was surprised at how soft the foam was. I took the bike for a quick spin and it feels fairly comfortable but I kept wishing for a more firm foundation. Maybe it's years of bicycling but my rear does not seem to like a pillow-soft seat. It does seem to stop any movement towards the tank. More riding will be instructive. If we don't get along it will go up for sale. Another thing, I totally forgot I had to pay customs fees on this. That added about $30 more to the price.

I didn't take any pictures but, at this point, we all know what it looks like.

Tim

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
A buddy sat on my Corbin and his first comment was "I expected it to be softer". It is a pretty firm saddle. I also like a soild seat. The Corbin is firm but comfortable. If the TS doesn't work out it may be worth a shot at the Corbin.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you get yours with the gel insert(s) or no? I have gel in both the rider and pillion seats, and find that it is pretty firm (not as firm as a Corbin). The seat is very comfortable for distance riding, and I have not had any issues with being able to move on the seat (ie. setting up for twisities), although others have had problems. I have owned both a Corbin, and now a TS, and I personally think the TS is a better seat... at least for my FZ6.

Good luck with the new saddle, and I hope you enjoy it!

As Boneman says:
it pretty much shakes hands with my a$$ every time I sit down.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
No gel inserts as I have read that they can get a bit hard in cold temps. I'll need a few more rides to be sure but I can get pretty picky where comfort is concerned. I think I went through 6 bicycle saddles before I found one I could stay with. No way I could afford to do that for this bike! I actually don't hate the stock seat but read so many great things about the TS seat I had to try. Worst case, I sell it on and take a 15-20% hit on what I paid.

Tim

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
I'm having a hard time deciding between corbin or ts as I haven't sat on either, I have been leaning toward the corbin because it seems they come up for sale on craigslist from time to time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"Spencers" uses a product caled Supracore, its not a gel.

I had my seat and done and am very happy with it. He'll also modify it if needed... A lot cheaper too (about $80.00 and a very fast turn around (one day in his shop after calling him).

Page 1

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
"Spencers" uses a product caled Supracore, its not a gel.

I had my seat and done and am very happy with it. He'll also modify it if needed... A lot cheaper too (about $80.00 and a very fast turn around (one day in his shop after calling him).

Page 1

I'm aware of Spencer. He leaves the stock seat shape and I was hoping the TS seat's more saddle like design would be better. The stock seat has fairly hard edges that I can feel on my thighs. Supracore is not available from Top Saddlery.

Tim

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm aware of Spencer. He leaves the stock seat shape and I was hoping the TS seat's more saddle like design would be better. The stock seat has fairly hard edges that I can feel on my thighs. Supracore is not available from Top Saddlery.

Tim

Spencers was going to re-shape mine, however I didn't have a problem with the stock shape. He actually was aware of the general problems with this seat and offered some suggustions on where he should modify the seat... I kept it in the stock configuration, just added the Supracore (which got rid of 90% of the buzz thru the seat)..

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Spencers was going to re-shape mine, however I didn't have a problem with the stock shape. He actually was aware of the general problems with this seat and offered some suggustions on where he should modify the seat... I kept it in the stock configuration, just added the Supracore (which got rid of 90% of the buzz thru the seat)..

There is only so much reshaping he can do as he reuses the cover. He actually slices the top off and keeps that so that he can use the original cover. For this reason he does not add height to a seat but can reduce it a bit.

Tim

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how much did you spend with spencers including shipping?

is it a big difference than stock? $80 is cheap but i was thinking by the time you pay shipping both ways you could just get a yamaha comfort seat.

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mcteague,

About comfort, did you order your saddle WITH the TS pan (black colour) or did you send your stock seat to France?
By chance I could test the two versions and there is a difference:
1 - Based on stock seat, the feeling is "firmly soft" and the seat fits the bike better. TS ADDS a "layer" of foam on top of the stock foam and then their liner...
2 - Based on the TS pan, the feeling is basicaly "soft" and the seat doesn't fit the bike so accurately. TS puts their OWN shaped foam on their pan before their liner, hence the different feeling. Furthermore, their pan is softer too and tends to bind/twist a bit maybe due to the tension of the liner...

Nothing wrong, but I like better the feeling of the first option: the stock seat firmness is well "cushioned" by the foam added...

IMHO TS seats are 5 stars seats IF based on the stock seat.
I do enjoy mine and love the look it adds to my FZ6!

Cheers,
Gobs

Last edited:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mcteague,

About comfort, did you order your saddle WITH the TS pan (black colour) or did you send your stock seat to France?
1 - Based on stock seat, the feeling is "firmly soft" and the seat fits the bike better. TS ADDS a "layer" of foam on top of the stock foam and then their liner...
2 - Based on the TS pan, the feeling is basicaly "soft" and the seat doesn't fit the bike so accurately. TS puts their OWN shaped foam on their pan before their liner, hence the different feeling. Furthermore, their pan is softer too and tends to bind/twist a bit maybe due to the tension of the liner...

Nothing wrong, but I like better the feeling of the first option: the stock seat firmness is well "cushioned" by the foam added...

Cheers,
Gobs

I have their black base. I'm sure the white Yamaha stock one is stiffer and fits better. The seat, as is, fits okay but maybe not as well as stock. Guess that's not a surprise. I rode it to work today and I have mixed feelings. It really does feel better in many ways. Very soft and cushy. However, I tend to move around a bit and the softer seat does not allow that to be done as easily. Also, I added the FZ1 bar which puts me in a more aggressive position. The TS seat seems more designed for an upright, touring mode.

I know your seat had build issues with some crooked seams on the rear section. Mine seems perfect in this regard, and no cracks in the base pan. I'll take a few more rides and hope to have a clear keep or sell decision.

Tim

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was there a big improvement in comfort?

The stocker was too hard and transferred the 4 cylinder buzz to my rear which, for me, was extremly annoying. It doesn't do this anymore for the most part. It is still firm (my FJR is softer with GEL) but I like it. It also still fits CORRECTLY which was important to me. If you want a Goldwing soft seat, this is Not it, not with what Spencers put in mine...

I use the the FZ for around town, short trips (maybe an hour each way), any longer, the FJR comes out..

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mcteague,

Cheers,
Gobs

Mine has a white seat pan. I bought the pan from TS though, and did not have to send mine in. I did buy it from their 'bargain bin', so maybe it was based on someone's stock saddle...

Oh well, just does not suit me I'm afraid. So, time to try something else. For sale link below:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/32807-top-saddlery-seat.html#post342840

Tim

Sorry that the seat didn't work out for you. I think its a huge upgrade over stock, but, obviously it's not for everyone. I do know from experience that Corbin makes a phenomenal saddle. Maybe their the way to go for you.

Good luck! :thumbup: