New project to bring back from the dead

TofuJunky87

Do you Tofu?
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all!

Just purchased this 2004 FZ6 for super cheap to rebuild as a commuter. It was totaled due to front/side damage and a frame issue but it will be fun to work on and rebuild as a project. I will be doing a streetfighter conversion on it and I'm really looking forward to working on this project and doing a build thread. Here are a couple pics of the damage. Lots of work ahead of me, but thats half the fun!! :thumbup:

CBA1F067-5731-44C8-A85A-9B5789890412.jpg

02A4D595-51EB-48D5-BFE7-6883CD494687.jpg

C0AF8DE7-C646-4FEE-9919-CDCBBB023E94.jpg

55C47ED4-802B-4D90-8A0A-398A94C85146.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Should be a fun repair!
If you're doing a naked conversion you may want to contact bd43 on this forum for the proper H4 switching kit for single lamp Hi/Lo beam you'll need. The stock FZ6 does not have the shut off for the low beam. :)

TofuJunky87

Do you Tofu?
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning on doing the Buell conversion, so would I still need to use that switch? I would love it if I could retain the low beam running light.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing a naked conversion and sort of just doing my thing with it and I did the BD43 dual headlight mod. Basically, you just get better light output. It keeps both bulbs on at all times unlike the stock configuration which only turns the H4 (right bulb with two filaments) on when the high beams are on.

I would say it's definitely a worth-while hour or so of work.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The light mod enables both filaments in the incandescent H4 dual filament lamp to be used for standard Hi and Lo beam operation.
Since the FZ6 faired version used separate lamps for Hi and Lo beam they did not run the wire that turns off the Lo beam when the Hi beam filament is activated. It was not needed when you were running a separate lamp.
If, say for example, you'll be running a dual filament H4 lamp in each of the cans in the Buell Headlight assembly, you'll want the Lo beam filament to turn off when the Hi beam filament is turned on. This prevents the H4 lamp and the lamp socket from overheating. This is standard switching on any H4 lamp. They are not designed to run both filaments at the same time. :)

TofuJunky87

Do you Tofu?
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool! I'll definitely check that out. Honestly, I haven't gotten that far with the lights yet because I'm still wrestling with the fork rebuild. Once I get the front end back on and shes rolling, then I'll probably tackle the headlights.

I am kinda weird in that I like the look of the single low beam, but I can see the benefits to have both running for visibility and safety purposes. Decisions...