New owner 500 KM update

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I finally have 500 KMs on my new 2008 FZ6.

I've had it about a month now but the weather has not cooperated at all.

So far so good. I have been following the break-in procedure and I've only had her over 8k rpms two times, for a grand total of maybe 4 - 6 seconds. I mostly keep her in the 4k - 5k ranges and from time to time I'll let her touch 7K between shifts. (She never once went above 7k rpms for the first 300 KMs). I've been restraining myself and I admit it has been very hard, but it's for a good cause).

I did a 100 km trip yesterday (50 KM) each way, and I was sure to vary the speeds between 80 and 120 km/h. The old butt got a little numb and I find that the bars are a little buzzy around 5K - 6K rpms sustained revs. I'll think that I'll look into getting a throttle lock (cruise control) for longer road trips.

Today I took her for a spin and was surprised in that she is noticeably more peppier... it's hard to describe, but she just has a little more get up and go compared to earlier in the week.

I've also noticed that one of the bolts holding on rear splash guard on has gone missing, I zipped tied it and it should get me to my 1,000 km first service. (Plastic automotive zip ties are worth their weight in gold... IMO).

Other than that everything has been excellent, I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

I can't wait until I can start using the upper rpms...

dsmith41

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard people refer to the bike and engine as "buzzy" in the past and wondered what they meant. It that what they mean? Vibration in the handlebars?

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
I just pray what happened to me at my first service doesn't happen to you!

I took it to a different garage due to the wait at where I bought it and they were a complete band of cowboys, they near enough rounded the bolt on the oil sump and blamed the garage I bought it from saying they had tightened it that much it had seized, needless to say I watched my dealership get it undone with little effort. They didn't get paid a penny.

As for you saying the engine seemed "Peppier", I noticed the same thing with mine, it seemed a lot more eager.

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard people refer to the bike and engine as "buzzy" in the past and wondered what they meant. It that what they mean? Vibration in the handlebars?

I've noticed that comment in general from people when they comment on higher revving bikes. I think it's subjective.

chau

Reaction score
Visit site
I just completed by first 500 mile on a new 2008 fz6. Just aroundc 400 miles, I definitely could feel that bike started responding much better and felt as if it wants to ride fast.

Just around the same time, I did start feeling very fine vibrations on the seat and the handlebar at 5k rpm on 6th gear.

Today I did my oil/filter change myself, lets see how it feels tomorrow on the freeway.

Similar to others, I too am very happy about my buy.:cheer:

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly.... a very high resonance in the bars that you don't really notice around town, but after 10 minutes or so on the highway it starts making your throttle hand a little numb.

I just speed up and pull the clutch in for a few second to take my throttle hand off and flex it a few times and then I'm good for another 10 minutes or so.

It could also be the fact that you need to hold constant pressure on the throttle and it becomes more sensitive after a few minutes.