New FZ6 w/ PC III, What is it

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and even newer to owning an FZ6. I just bought a red 07 FZ6 and it came with a Power Commander III installed. I'm just a little psyched:Flash: The thing I don't know is does the FZ6 really need the PC III and if so why? I haven't looked at the mapping yet but is there someplace to figure out good mappings for it or is it more trial and error? In truth I've never seen a PC III and only know what I have read about them, so any information would be very helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I know about it: It is a device to make more engine settings changeable. If you have a stock exhaust and a stock airfilter, then this is not nessessairy. If you have a aftermarket exhaust and/or an aftermarket airfilter, then you are able to adjust you engine settings with it to make it run even better. This way you can make more benefit of your aftermarket parts.
But it is adviced to place your bike on a dynojet. This way the most fitting setting can be found for your combination of aftermarket materials.
There are, I believe, pre-installed settings for various types of exhausts. But, as said before, only a dynojet-run will achieve the best result.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and even newer to owning an FZ6. I just bought a red 07 FZ6 and it came with a Power Commander III installed. I'm just a little psyched:Flash: The thing I don't know is does the FZ6 really need the PC III and if so why? I haven't looked at the mapping yet but is there someplace to figure out good mappings for it or is it more trial and error? In truth I've never seen a PC III and only know what I have read about them, so any information would be very helpful. Thanks.

Information about the PCIII, why it is needed is here : Power Commander Product Information

Maps are here: Power Commander Downloads and Products Purchases

The bike needs a PCIII if you have an aftermarket exhaust and an aftermarket air filter. Even then there is a way to adjust the CO settings on the bike without the PC. Search for threads on CO adjustments, some people on the forum have already done this.
Also, to get a good custom map, take the bike to a dyno shop for a dyno run or get the map from Dynojet's website if you know which one will work for you.

-Manas.

darkrider

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike needs a PCIII if you have an aftermarket exhaust and an aftermarket air filter.

This is not accurate...the bike does not need a PCIII if the above is installed!

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
the PCIII will make your bike blow up, you need to remove it and send it to me so I can dispose of it properly ;)

I was waiting for somebody to post that :) Thanks for all of the information, I think I'm going to do some research on the PC III website and then ride it for a while with it on and take it off to see if I can tell a difference.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike needs a PCIII if you have an aftermarket exhaust and an aftermarket air filter.

This is not accurate...the bike does not need a PCIII if the above is installed!

I did say that there is a way to adjust the CO settings without installing the PCIII. But your bike will run lean if you install both the exhaust and the air filter with stock settings.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Does the Fz6 have other modifications? Exhaust etc. Even if the bike doesn't have other mods you can load a stock map which is supposed to give smoother throttle response than the factory computer. There is also a 'Zero' map you can load that should allow only the factory computer settings to run the bike.
You should be able to down load the software and plug the Power Commander via USB to a computer and see what map is installed. You will probably need a 9 volt battery with the adapter plug to up and down load maps. I'm attaching a picture of the 9v. w/plug.

Congratulations and have fun!:welcome:

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Enjoy and Ride Safe.

Pictures please :thumbup:

As far as I know the bike has factory exhaust and air intake. But I haven't had my laptop hooked up yet to see what it is set too. That will be one of my first tasks.

I uploaded a pic of the commander and the bike, still psyched!!!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site

The FZ6 runs marginally lean stock. Once you open up airflow with a freeflowing exhaust and air filter, it'll run even leaner than usual.

Yes it'll operate, but with the proper A/F ratio from a dynotune with a device like the PCIII it'll operate so much better.

Even with no mods, a dynotune with the PCIII will increase power. Not by much, but it's possible.
However if you don't plan on changing the exhaust/airfilter/cat, there's not a huge need for it.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The Power Commander is basically the fuel injection version of re-jetting a carb.

If not air flow modifications have been made, a PCIII is not necessary, as has already been stated.

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I messed around with the PC3 and did a firmware update which froze in the middle so my bike wouldn't run (I tinker and then break things, it's how I role):( So I pulled off the PC3 to send it in for reprogramming and I feel a slight difference in the response on the bike. It could be just me (and probably is), but I think I'll keep it installed. Thanks for all of the info!