New Engine Break In - How To?

recko

dennis
Reaction score
Visit site
Time for some updates. Collected my bike on 22 Nov, 1st 300miles on city riding, lots of stop and go from traffic junctions, till last weekend which was 29 Nov, after accumulated about 400 miles of city riding, I went for highway riding of 300 miles (with breaks in between of course). The ride was a good test out for my bike, i rode up to 80mph at most as the engine was still running in. :D

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
My dealer told me to keep it under 7000 RPM until after the first service. He said it would be ok to go a bit over the 7K RPM if it was a short burst like overtaking, but I should try not to.
After the first service, he bacikly told me to find a decent highway and blow it socks off (With a warm engine!!) and after that is was "Fire At Will"

recko

dennis
Reaction score
Visit site
My dealer told me to keep it under 7000 RPM until after the first service. He said it would be ok to go a bit over the 7K RPM if it was a short burst like overtaking, but I should try not to.
After the first service, he bacikly told me to find a decent highway and blow it socks off (With a warm engine!!) and after that is was \"Fire At Will\"

That's what I did exactly... :rockon:

mabbott

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't agree with the "standard" approach to break in. I have broken in many motorcycles and I have never followed the stay under "this" RPM during the first....

What I have done is for the first 50 miles do a lot of city driving, varying acceleration, hard, medium, easy. Then I change the oil and filter just in case there are any loose particles. After the first 50 miles of a lot of starts, stops, and oil change I ride it like I normally ride it. I have never had any problems with my bikes and I put a lot of miles on them.

This is just my experience and based on who has mentored me and what I have learned. I don't think that following the manuals recommendation is bad, I feel that they try and minimize every risk they can in order to keep their liabilities down.

recko

dennis
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did my 1500km (approx 900mil) servicing at Yamaha HQ in Singapore, still using mineral oil currently, I'll ride till 2000km and change to fully synthetic oil from there onwards.