New Bike, New Problems. Starting Issues and Code 33

WhiskeyDingo

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy guys,

I just maybe bought a lemon of an FZ6 and could use a little help. (I really like this bike and hope you can help with some solutions)
First off, it’s a 2004 FZ6 with a few miles under it. Has a few mods: Power Commander, TBR exhaust, air filter.. etc. the usual stuff you put on a bike. I bought it for $1000 dollars, w/title(unheard of in Texas) sight unseen because I was out of town. Talked the guys down a bit and some someone picked it up for me. Bike is is pretty good cosmetic shape. Maybe this was a bad idea...? I never heard it start.

Turned the key, nothing. Found the battery to be DOA. Bought a new battery, fluids, flushed the tank.. etc. anyways. Battery is hooked up weird. Sooo... that’s a great start
There is no starter noise, but the computer turns on and does the power up noises, all lights are bright. Pressing the Starter button does nothing. Checked the Codes and have Code 33, so ignition Coil issues? From what I’ve read, other people can still start their bikes and ride. Is mine totally unhooked? Could someone lead me in the right direction and make me not regret this impulse buy

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!

The starter is activated through 2 different relays. One relay is the starter relay. The other is a relay in a unit called the "starter interrupt cut-off relay assembly" The starter interrupt relay must be active through safety logic before it will allow the coil in the starter relay to operate.
On top of the battery is the starter relay. There is a red with white tracer wire and there is a blue with white tracer wire. Lift and prop up the tank. Make sure the bike is in neutral! This test will be bypassing the safety of the starter interrupt so the bike must be in neutral. Turn the key to on and make sure the kill switch is in the run position. Ground the blue with white tracer wire to ascertain if the starter relay operates. If you hear the relay clap but there is no starter operation then the starter relay may be bad or the starter is bad. If you get starter operation then the starter interrupt circuit or the actual starter switch is in an open state. This test will help us determine which direction the circuit is malfunctioning.

WhiskeyDingo

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!

The starter is activated through 2 different relays. One relay is the starter relay. The other is a relay in a unit called the "starter interrupt cut-off relay assembly" The starter interrupt relay must be active through safety logic before it will allow the coil in the starter relay to operate.
On top of the battery is the starter relay. There is a red with white tracer wire and there is a blue with white tracer wire. Lift and prop up the tank. Make sure the bike is in neutral! This test will be bypassing the safety of the starter interrupt so the bike must be in neutral. Turn the key to on and make sure the kill switch is in the run position. Ground the blue with white tracer wire to ascertain if the starter relay operates. If you hear the relay clap but there is no starter operation then the starter relay may be bad or the starter is bad. If you get starter operation then the starter interrupt circuit or the actual starter switch is in an open state. This test will help us determine which direction the circuit is malfunctioning.

This is exactly the kind of advice I’m looking for. Thank you. I’ll get on that tonight and update you with details. Rechecked the codes last night and I was wrong. The codes and 31 and 32, which I believe are the same as 33, just different cylinders.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is exactly the kind of advice I’m looking for. Thank you. I’ll get on that tonight and update you with details. Rechecked the codes last night and I was wrong. The codes and 31 and 32, which I believe are the same as 33, just different cylinders.

Fault Code: 30
Diagnostic Code: 08
Symptom: The motorcycle has overturned.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Overturned.
Malfunction in ECU.
Fault Code: 33
Diagnostic Code: 30
Symptom: Open circuit is detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil (# 1, #4).
Open circuit in wiring harness.
Malfunction in ignition coil.
Malfunction in ECU.
Malfunction in a component of ignition cut-off circuit system.
Fault Code: 34
Diagnostic Code: 31
Symptom: Open circuit is detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil (# 2, #3).
Malfunction in ECU.
Fault Code: 41
Symptom: Lean angle cut-off switch-open or short circuit detected.
Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective lean angle cut-off switch.

WhiskeyDingo

Reaction score
Visit site
Fault Code: 30
Symptom: The motorcycle has overturned.
Overturned.
Malfunction in ECU.
Fault Code: 33
Diagnostic Code: 30
Symptom: Open circuit is detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil (# 1, #4).
Malfunction in ECU.
Fault Code: 34
Diagnostic Code: 31
Symptom: Open circuit is detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil (# 2, #3).
Malfunction in ECU.
Fault Code: 41
Symptom: Lean angle cut-off switch-open or short circuit detected.
Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective lean angle cut-off switch.

Alright. So I figured out a few things.
1: relay was not hooked up properly by PO. (Now I’m scared)
2: starter Motor runs great
3. New codes since things are attached properly

I need to empty out the fuel tank and and probably clean it out. No idea how old the gas is. Injectors are probably a little sticky.
The new numbers are as pictured

The bike tried to start with fluid, but no pull with older gas, maybe?

What should my next troubleshooting step be?

Attachments

• 4E3651A9-691F-4CB6-A28B-79BB7219CDF7.jpeg
    4E3651A9-691F-4CB6-A28B-79BB7219CDF7.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 31FB5943-5630-47F1-8C32-1E20987EAD85.jpeg
    31FB5943-5630-47F1-8C32-1E20987EAD85.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 15

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can use a small sprayer and spray some GOOD fuel into the TB's while cranking. It'll likely act the same as with starting fluid.

If it does, you have issues with the fuel delivery system.. You've just (likely) eliminated the ignition system as culprit. Inspecting /replacing spark plugs as preventive wouldn't hurt..

Do you hear the fuel pump run at initial KEY ON(red kill switch in the RUN position)? You should hear it pump up for 2-3 seconds..

See /post what that does/doesn't do and post back..

**I would pull the tank and dump the fuel at the very least.. Water/crap doesn't burn

May have to pull the fuel pump depending on if the pump functions....

WhiskeyDingo

Reaction score
Visit site
You can use a small sprayer and spray some GOOD fuel into the TB's while cranking. It'll likely act the same as with starting fluid.

If it does, you have issues with the fuel delivery system.. You've just (likely) eliminated the ignition system as culprit. Inspecting /replacing spark plugs as preventive wouldn't hurt..

Do you hear the fuel pump run at initial KEY ON(red kill switch in the RUN position)? You should hear it pump up for 2-3 seconds..

See /post what that does/doesn't do and post back..

**I would pull the tank and dump the fuel at the very least.. Water/crap doesn't burn

May have to pull the fuel pump depending on if the pump functions....

I pulled the thank off and cleared it out, added some fresh juice.
The computer makes the Whining noise it tends to do. Is there a different noise I’m looking for?

WhiskeyDingo

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick Update.

It’s whining when I Flip the start switch, I assume that’s the fuel pump priming?
When I give it gas through the airbox, it’s firing and will run for about two seconds. I did that a few times and it feels a little longer each time. (Or I’m being too positive).
Unfortunately, I did this too many times and killed the battery... give it about 2 hour and I’ll be back at it again. All and all, I’m feeling pretty positive about getting this up and running. You guys are awesome.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The pump will make some noise (whine, from inside the tank), for about 2-3 seconds when turning the ignition switch ON initially.

Pushing the start button should NOT affect the pump as the pump is simply pressurizing the fuel rail.

You should, then, when pushing the starter button, just hear the starter spinning the engine (red kill switch set to run)..

With the short firing of the engine, you have spark..

If your getting that, it sounds like the fuel injectors are not getting power and / or no ground to activate them..
It's not likely that all injectors are completely clogged but an electrical issue. You can confirm by doing a fuel pressure test on the rail but that's likely not the problem..

Motogiro would know how to address test that..

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All you need is air, fuel and spark. you verified you have air and spark. Step 1, be CERTAIN you have good fuel. Empty the tank and fill with fresh fuel. Start with the basics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WhiskeyDingo

Reaction score
Visit site
The pump will make some noise (whine, from inside the tank), for about 2-3 seconds when turning the ignition switch ON initially.

Pushing the start button should NOT affect the pump as the pump is simply pressurizing the fuel rail.

You should, then, when pushing the starter button, just hear the starter spinning the engine (red kill switch set to run)..

With the short firing of the engine, you have spark..

If your getting that, it sounds like the fuel injectors are not getting power and / or no ground to activate them..
It's not likely that all injectors are completely clogged but an electrical issue. You can confirm by doing a fuel pressure test on the rail but that's likely not the problem..

Motogiro would know how to address test that..

Alright. Sorry for the late updates.
I’m a bit of a weekend warrior when it comes to this stuff. (I just moved into a new place and I’m trying to keep the neighbors on my side)
I tried this morning before work and same issue. New gas in the tank and new spark plugs. I forgot to check the codes this morning though. everything is acting as it should, it’s just not igniting, unless directly dumped into the airbox.
Would my next step be to check the ignition coils? I have a very bad feeling that this is a fuel pump issue, hence the low price. PO did a lot quality work/upgrades, aside for the Starter Relay error.

Bike is in the 50,000 miles club too. Cool could be dead or fuel pump. Should I start with the cheaper option and order new Ignition coils or take it to the shop and let them tell me.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Would my next step be to check the ignition coils? I have a very bad feeling that this is a fuel pump issue, hence the low price. PO did a lot quality work/upgrades, aside for the Starter Relay error.

You HAVE SPARK. It's FIRING when fuel is supplied via you.

You can check the coils, but they are WORKING... ?? I don't know why your not checking the fuel system / injectors / etc....

I think it needs to go to the shop as no one is following / addressing the fuel system and chasing coils for some reason

Good luck..

WhiskeyDingo

Reaction score
Visit site
You HAVE SPARK. It's FIRING when fuel is supplied via you.

You can check the coils, but they are WORKING... ?? I don't know why your not checking the fuel system / injectors / etc....

I think it needs to go to the shop as no one is following / addressing the fuel system and chasing coils for some reason

Good luck..
Hahaha, thanks FJR. Something you just need a reality check. Coils are on my mind because of the codes and Honestly, I want it to be the easier of answers. Plug and Play sounds a little nicer than digging out injectors.

I’ll take your advice and check out the fuel System this weekend.