need more power...electrical power

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys, wanted to know if there was a way to get more power from the bikes electrical system so I can run more accessories. I already have heated grips, but I want to do the dual headlight mod and just added extra brake lights on my tail case (coocase).

any info would be helpful. As of now, the bike is reading correct voltages while idling and running but just curious if there is something I can do to get more power. Thanks.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you don't need to worry. I'm not at all technical - my dealer does most of my mods - but off my standard electrics, I run without problems:

• OE heated grips

• BMW heated vest

• headlight mod (the simpler, right hand dual beam version)

• Tom Tom Rider GPS
Often all at the same time.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
If I remember correctly the FZ6 can handle about 185W without draining the battery.
Both low beams would be using 110W, leaving you with a bit of room, not much but some.
Heated clothing/grips use the most power, but possible.
Auxillery lighting(like PIAA driving lights) is pretty much out of the question.
Charging your phone or powering a GPS doesn't use much power.

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info guys. only asked because it takes my grips almost 10 minutes at 6-7k RPM to get hot enough for me when they are on full blast.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info guys. only asked because it takes my grips almost 10 minutes at 6-7k RPM to get hot enough for me when they are on full blast.

The power taken by the heated grips is converted to heat, say they take approx 60W at 6-7k they will take at least 52W at tickover. Not really a massive amount of difference.

To get more electrical power you could fit a few pushbike dynamos to the back wheel :)

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you don't need to worry. I'm not at all technical - my dealer does most of my mods - but off my standard electrics, I run without problems:

• OE heated grips

• BMW heated vest

• headlight mod (the simpler, right hand dual beam version)

• Tom Tom Rider GPS
Often all at the same time.

Seems like I spoke too soon. Having now had the headlight mod done, I find that my heated grips run up to only about 25% heat of what they did before. Switching off my heated vest does make a difference - grips then run up to about 50% of what they were, pre-headlight mod.

I guess I've hit the limit of what you can run off the bike's standard electrics. Oh well, at least it's all working in the right order i.e. for me, the 2nd headlight low beam is the priority, then the heated vest; the grips are the lowest priority. It'll be spring soon...:thumbup:

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
makes more sense...something wasn't adding up for me because practically speaking, the grips are not getting hot even without the headlight mod yet. I really do want to get some more electrical power somehow...wish there was an off the shelf fix for this bike