Need Info for Powering Accessories

chihuahuastud

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Tourmaster's heated jacket liner and gloves which use a coaxial cable. The cable is to short for me to move around in the seat, since the FZ's battery is at the front of the frame. I also want to power a GPS unit or my cellphone. Not really sure what components I need. I am thinking a power block under the seat would solve all the connection issues. What did you use and where can I find it?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just type in "power outlet" under the search function in the website tool bar. Lots of good threads and data - should give you all kinds of ideas.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 12v cigar lighter type thing from ebay for about £5, connected it straight to the battery and attached it to the top yoke. Powered my satnav or phone charger. Easy peasy

chihuahuastud

Reaction score
Visit site
The cig lighter will work for the gps but I also need to power the heated gear. Can I run both from the battery posts or do I need a power block?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hardwired (fused)a specific cable for my GPS to the running light side of the front left directional (its only on when the ignition is on).

I also ran a fused line(from the battery) to the left side of the bike(just ahead of the rear left peg) and hooked up a BMW style electrical outlet to a custom bracket for heated clothing, battery charger, etc. I generally get on and off the bike on the left, the BMW outlet (Bought mine at "Powerlet" ) closes itself when not in use. Its also designed for motorcycles and the cord won't work loose when under way.....

There's not much room uner the seat for a fuse block. If you want a fuse block, I'd probably place it under the fairing, on either side under the black covers (towards the rear). Its a shorter distance to the battery, you could also put in a relay if needed..

Scott

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
here is how I did mine with an accessory fuse box, if you're adding more than one accessory I think it's worth it to clean up the wiring mess and allow for easier installation of future farkles

Sportbikes.net - View Single Post - gone modding - accessory fuse box, R6 forks/brakes, tapered bearings, Garmin gps

for my next bike I think I'll skip the DIY fuse box and just fork over the money for the Centech unit, so much cleaner and more compact, though I haven't had a single issue with mine

Centech AP-1 Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel [Centech_AP-1] : Motorrad.ca - The Art of Motorcycle Adventure

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of this one even more than the Centech. It's pretty expensive, but it has a relay built in and you can choose between switched or unswitched for each circuit just by moving the fuse.

FUZEBLOCKS.COM

Plus, it has a model number FZ1. How can you go wrong with that? :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of this one even more than the Centech. It's pretty expensive, but it has a relay built in and you can choose between switched or unswitched for each circuit just by moving the fuse.

FUZEBLOCKS.COM

Plus, it has a model number FZ1. How can you go wrong with that? :)

Thats a really nice fuse block however the relay is soldiered in... If on a road trip, it would be a major PIA to replace the relay.... Actually, if you don't have accress to a soldering gun, air compressor, etc(even at home), you won't be able to change it out... Too bad they didn't make it with a plug in relay

Scott

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
educate me... i've never heard of power blocks. i'm guessing it so you can hook up things not standard on the bike and still give them a fuse. does this just hook up to the battery and then you hook all your goodies to it? at what point do you need something like this?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
educate me... i've never heard of power blocks. i'm guessing it so you can hook up things not standard on the bike and still give them a fuse. does this just hook up to the battery and then you hook all your goodies to it? at what point do you need something like this?

You would still run a fuse from the battery to the fuse block(in case of a short between the battery and the block). The block allows for separate lines (with different size fuses for different , applications). This keeps from hooking up a zillion lines to your battery or hacking up your wiring harness looking for a switched line.

If your not putting a bunch of accessories on the bike you can get by without it... If your into lots of accessories, its a very convieniant and neat(literally) way to wire up the bike.

Note: Most newer BMW's have the canibus system which doesn't like tapping into their electrical system.. It is necesarry to run a block or at least hook up directly to the battery to by pass the canibus system...

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a Powerlet Powerlet Products outlet on the inside of the fairing of my bike and powered my GPS from that. I also bought the converted cable for my battery tender so I can just plug that in as needed.