Need help with exhaust/tail tidy

conman

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, glad to be apart of the forums hopefully I can find some much needed help here. I've purchased this 2004 FZ6 earlier this year as my first bike. Its been an amazing experience so far. This bike was posted for $2200 with 22k miles on it. Ended up paying around $1700 for it so i felt it was a good deal. Here's the deal, the exhaust is made for the bike but it was purchased off ebay from a wreaked FZ so it has a dent in it. The guy deal your typical back yard job install and I'm trying to figure out a way to fix it. The tail tidy is "ghetto" for lack of better term with some good ol fashion zip ties all over the place. The exhaust is sagging down and its not a clean look at all. Not sure what to do as I don't want to purchase a different exhaust for this bike at the moment. Maybe I'm screwed? You tell me... Thanks for the input.

-Con
:(

tidy5.jpgtidy.jpgtidy3.jpgtidy2.jpgtidy4.jpg

jeanjesuit

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the official page you'll see your exhaust is sticking way out the rear, it should be kinda flush like this :
8422E_1.jpg.
The way it's mounted now should rattle and looks fairly unsecure. To figure out why the fitting is so poor you have no choice but to remove the exhaust and find where the previous owner went wrong. Here's the official booklet with a mounting diagram and if you need help taking it off the bike a cursory google search will lead you to the service manual.

Good luck!

Last edited:

conman

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the official page you'll see your exhaust is sticking way out the rear, it should be kinda flush like this :
View attachment 68408.
The way it's mounted now should rattle and looks fairly unsecure. To figure out why the fitting is so poor you have no choice but to remove the exhaust and find where the previous owner went wrong. Here's the official booklet with a mounting diagram and if you need help taking it off the bike a cursory google search will lead you to the service manual.

Good luck!

I will say, its pretty secure as i can only "lift" it up not even half a inch. It does not rattle or else i would've taken care of it way sooner. I really want to get this solved for its a very poor look and has been bothering me as of late. I will take that advice and see what i can do, thanks! :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
there should be a bracket securing the cans in place. I think #7 from the tiny diagram. I will say I've had this exact setup for 7 years - still sounds great so you have a good starting point to work with. Getting replacement parts could use some research as the LV are manufactured in Italy. Good luck in your search. and yeah for sure.. crappy install. zip ties on an exhaust? who does that?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely a first... Where's the duct tape???

As noted above, your missing the straps that wrap around each muffler.

There's no pic of the "Y" pipe, where the mufflers come together and go into the stock mid pipe.

I suspect that got destroyed/misplaced and there's something longer zip tied under there...
I would look real hard as those mufflers do get warm and I suspect what ever it's resting against, doesn't catch fire.

If you can buy, from the factory(or used) the entire mounting kit, Y pipe would be the easiest.

If your REAL HANDY, you could make your own straps (to wrap the mufflers for a securing point-and loose the zip ties:( )

conman

Reaction score
Visit site
there should be a bracket securing the cans in place. I think #7 from the tiny diagram. I will say I've had this exact setup for 7 years - still sounds great so you have a good starting point to work with. Getting replacement parts could use some research as the LV are manufactured in Italy. Good luck in your search. and yeah for sure.. crappy install. zip ties on an exhaust? who does that?

Looks like ill have to do some digging, ive looked through ebay for some used stuff. Not a bad inventory to my surprise honestly. But right? Total "jims backyard" install.... :eek:

conman

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely a first... Where's the duct tape???

As noted above, your missing the straps that wrap around each muffler.

There's no pic of the "Y" pipe, where the mufflers come together and go into the stock mid pipe.

I suspect that got destroyed/misplaced and there's something longer zip tied under there...
I would look real hard as those mufflers do get warm and I suspect what ever it's resting against, doesn't catch fire.

If you can buy, from the factory(or used) the entire mounting kit, Y pipe would be the easiest.

If your REAL HANDY, you could make your own straps (to wrap the mufflers for a securing point-and loose the zip ties:( )

Haha! Duck tape, i know right. It does have exhaust wrap through the exhaust so i assumed that would do the trip against heat. Here is a picture of the Y pipe.pipe3.jpgpipe2.jpgpipe.jpg