Need help on fairing part!!!!

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Well, I guess it was bound to happen. The wife had her first spill with the FZ yesterday on a ride. Of all places, she pulled into a parking lot behind me, slowed down and for some reason decided to use the rear brake to stop instead of the front. The parking lot had a slight lean to the right and she only put her left foot down. So you can probably guess what happened. The bike (as gravity would have it) leaned to the right and her foot was on the peg. She put her foot down, but with the bike already starting to tip (my son being on the back adding almost 90 lbs. of top heavy weight) was unable to keep it up. So she yelled at the boy to jump and she just let the bike go. I pulled into my parking space and instead of seeing her pull in along side me, I hear a lound BANG. I look back and see her FZ laying on the ground with her and my son just staring at it. I jump off my bike and check to make sure they're OK. Then had to pick the bike up off the ground.

On a side note, I can't believe how heavy these bikes feel trying to pick them up. I don't know if it's the narrow handlebars or what but I struggled with it, and I've picked up 1200cc bikes before with no trouble.

Anyway since she didn't really have any forward momentum, the damage wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. The worst damage was to the corner of the fairing on the piece that surrounds the headlight. She also got the mirror, front brake lever, the bar end weight, rear footpeg (which I thnk protected the side pod and grab handle from any damage), the rear brake lever was bent almost under the bike but pulled right back into place with little effort. I was very happy to see that there was no damage at all to the frame, engine, gas tank, or any of the rear plastic. One thing that was weird, the front blinker broke the plastic mounting stud that a part of the inside of the fairing, but there's not a scratch on the blinker itself. I had to plastic weld the piece back on to resucure her blinker.

Now for my question. Does this piece that surrounds the headlight come off seperately? The piece I'm talking about is the parts that are colored black on the '08 model. I'm including a photo with the portion I'm talking about circled. I tried to download the '07 assembly manual to look it up, but it's no longer available. If I can just replace this piece (and it's no too expensive) I'll do that. Otherwise I will sand it down and fill the gouges, then paint both sides black so it looks like the '08 fairing.

The circled piece is the one I need to fix.
Circledfairing.jpg

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG....that sounds almost exactly what happened to me yesterday too!!! I have about the same damage as she does...I'll keep an eye on the posts you get, because I need my fairing repaired or replaced. :eek:

Trouble

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 and that piece is part of the entire front fairing. It's not as bad as it sounds though - try Babbits online. I thought it was very reasonably priced. I've had to do mine twice this year - ice in March and a track day spill in April.

Z

zoomman

See this link below. Very quick service and the website is very cool. You can zoom in and out of the parts you want or need. Just had to replace that whole piece surrounding headlight, easy to remove, just be sure to take a pic before so you don't get confused as to where the parts go back. But the website can help you with that also.

Good luck.

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Yamaha 2008 FZ6

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. So, if I'm reading this pic correctly, would you guys agree that it's piece #10 that I need based on what I circled in my first photo. From the pic, they show this as a seperate piece so it must be something you can replace. Looks like it might have 3 attachment points.
0037.jpg

C

Cowboys6

That is the correct part. I just replaced mine this past weekend. It is very easy to replace. All you have to do is take all of the black plastic off the back of the fairing because the screws that secure that piece are behind it. There are two screws that hold it in place. Once you take it out look for the little rubber strip (item 14) that was in there with it. It might still be on the piece that you removed or crammed in between the fairing and headlight. You will want to put this strip on the new piece and then the whole thing back in the fairing. Just replace everything when done. I hope this helps.

timbo

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I'm gonna need part # 10 from the Ronayers microfiche...I was parked in downtown chicago this weekend and a less than attentive person backed up and knocked my FZ6 over. They sped off to avoid getting caught from what a witness tells me, and no one got the license plate number. Thank God, only that part got scratched, and the headlamp cover got cracked! Minimal damage.
Anyway, does anyone know if just the headlamp cover is available. Ronayers headlight assembly is 143 bucks and all I really need is the clear plastic cover. Any help would be appreciated!

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
try Carolinacycle.com

I just had to replace my whole front cowling and 2 pieces inside.. $120 + $20 shipping.. 6 business days to arrive.

CooperFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I'm not alone in my misery. I just busted my front cowling while putting the bike away for the winter. Also, I busted the right inside piece.

When you order this stuff, do you specify colour, or, does it come primed and you have to get it painted?

Thanks

CooperFZ6

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
"I had to plastic weld the piece back on to resucure her blinker."

How did you "plastic Weld". I have the same exact issues with mine. The person that I bought my bike from must of dropped his as well.