Need help getting ready for riding season

FizzyDiver

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to admit that I've been a little negligent when it comes to maintenance. Of course I've changed the oil and kept the chain lubed up but other than that, I really haven't done any upkeep on my bike. It sat all winter (under a cover but outside) and I feel like it needs a tune up before I start riding again. What are some things I need to/can do to get her running like new again? I've got about 6000 on the odometer. Thanks!

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
I must say I was in the same boat. All I did was oil changes and chain lube. With the help of the members here was much a better experience than giving it to the dealer for maintenance. I decided to treat the FZ6 much better and I bought new tires, changed oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid, added a battery tender, realized a screw or 2 were missing, and the bike feels great after. I suggest the same. I just feel more at ease that I was able to do this and with the help going forward I can do it myself. Good luck.

FizzyDiver

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty much exactly what I have in mind. I definitely don't want to take it to the dealer, just want to be able to make some adjustments and tune-ups on my own. I love my bike and love the confidence of riding a well-maintained machine even more.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Where in VA are you? I might not be too far from you.

I would change:
Coolant
Brake fluid

Clean chain and sprockets (including front sprocket under the cover)
Inspect brake lines carefully for any sign of cracking, replace if cracked.
Sync the Throttle Bodies! Makes a huge difference on any FZ6.
While you have the tank lifted for TB's check air filter. Bugs/mice can get into it when the bike is left parked for a long time!