Need a new helmet

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep running into issues with my helmet, I have a HJC which I like. Yah its loud and maybe heavy but I like it.

The issue i have is I always seem to have the wrong visor, clear on a sunny day, i wear glasses so shades mean I cant see. But if I have the tinted one then I am always riding in the dark, Can't see again. If I open my visor my eyes water up from the wind in the lid.

Tried tucking my extra visor down my side under my jacket, just didn't work, and I don't want to carry my backpack all the time just for a spare visor.

Does anyone have the helmets with the built in sun visor and how are they to use ?

On a related note, a clear visor will not remain wedged between your windscreen and gauges on a 2009. It will how ever bounce off of your chest when you wind it up to a 100k and then it will skitter down the side of the highway :(

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running a Bell RS1 with a transition visor on it - no glasses required! I'd have to say it is super light weight, has excellent airflow, and is worth every penny. The transition lens itself sets you back ~$100 USD on top of the $200-300 for the lid, but given the example you've provided and all the hassle it's well worth it.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running a Bell RS1 with a transition visor on it - no glasses required! I'd have to say it is super light weight, has excellent airflow, and is worth every penny. The transition lens itself sets you back ~$100 USD on top of the $200-300 for the lid, but given the example you've provided and all the hassle it's well worth it.

Exact same setup I have! I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Need a new helmet

Does anyone have the helmets with the built in sun visor and how are they to use ?

I have the Scorpion exo-500 with inner shield. I always keep the clear outer shield and a dark smoke shield inside. I like this setup because I hate wind in my eyes and can always have my outer shield closed. Riding with outer shield open and inner shield down kind of annoyingly funnels wind towards my eyes, which is the only nitpick i have.

Edit:I have an Exo-500, not 1000...post corrected :banghead:

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i must be the only one who read what the O.P. wrote and got the impression that he is in fact wearing prescription eye glasses to correct his vision. now stay with me here,but it seems to me the money would be put to better use on something that he has to wear ALL day and night and is required while wearing a helmet. :confused:

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an exo-1000 mentioned and the drop down sun visor is handy......at first, but that helmet has grown on my bad side. Its heavy and noisy, and compared to my Bell it isn't nearly as comfortable. LOVE my Bell.

I don't have one myself, but as also mentioned Bell makes a transition visor that clears in low light and darkens in the sun.....no need to every change visors out. The ONLY reason I haven't bought one for my helmet is that i like my visor as dark as possible and I've read that the transition visor isn't quite as dark as the dark smoke.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't want to buy new lenses/glasses, I just checked and my extremely large Oakley sunglasses allowed the inner shield to close with plenty of room to spare. I don't have Rx glasses but figured they would do for the test.

Lonestar-the OP specifically asked for opinions on different helmets. Also, many visors have UV protection, hindering transitions glasses from functioning....

JKJ-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have three helmets with internal drop-down shades. I wear prescription glasses, and the flip-down shades are so convenient. I wouldn't want to wear prescription transition glasses all day long.

The first is a HJC IS-33 3/4 helmet I wear mostly when riding a scooter. Not the most protection, but it's the most comfortable and surprisingly it's the quietest of the three.

Next is a Scorpion EXO-500. I believe it's a newer line that's a lot like the EXO-1000s. It's lightweight and comfortable enough but it's noisy, especially with the vents open for cooling. It also restricts my field of vision more than the others. All the other Scorpion models I've tried on just don't fit my head shape, but this one is good.

Over the winter I picked up a Fulmer modular helmet on a whim and a bargain. So far, except for the flat-black color I'm not crazy about, I really like it. It's fairly quiet for a modular, though there is a high-pitched whistle from around the face shield at higher speeds. I suspect rain may get though there, though I haven't yet had the opportunity to find out.

Another convenience with the HJC 3/4 and the Fulmer is that I can put them on without removing my glasses. That gets annoying on hop-on, hop-off trips.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest with you, I'm currently using a Bilt Cyclone and I love it. Yes it's a cheap, Cycle Gear helmet ($90 on sale I think), but it has a built in sun visor that works well, new lenses are $15 and take literally 30 seconds to swap out if you desire, and the graphics are pretty decent. The airflow is good, it's very comfortable without any pinch points, and as far as quietness, it's right in the middle.

For some reason, I'm strangely addicted to new lids and have a nice collection going.

As usual, you need to wait a week until it goes back on sale for 1/2 off as Cycle Gear loves to do with their pricing scheme. Linky

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I pray you never need that Bilt helmet to work.:(

Please save a little more and get you a good helmet.:rockon:

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I had the Scorpion EXO (500 I think) and liked the inner sun shield.

The glare of the sun comes in a little around the edges, and it causes a bit of distortion looking through all 3 layers (glasses, tinted shield, & visor). I never had any noise problems with that helmet. Dropped it last weekend so I just bought a Bell Star Vortec with a tinted visor. The Bell is so loud I'm taking it back to try something else. I guess we all have different shaped heads and just need to find the brand that works for us. :rolleyes:

IMO the tinted shield with glasses doesn't work as well as prescription sunglasses but is a nice enough solution when considering overall cost and comfort.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Yamaha dealership let me bomb around with a HJC IS15 ?, helmet with a sunscreen built in...

It was ok but no, not for me. SO I bought a new Arai - Vector 2 Thrill. Gotta love close out stuff. How does this solve my issue, well it doesn't.

But it was a fantastic day out and why worry about the little things when the road is calling.

Gotta love sunny days and full tank fuel just begging to be used up.

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
Got to replace my 6 year old Shoei soon.

Prices are not cheap but at least you know you're using a quality product.

Never skimp on safety!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep running into issues with my helmet, I have a HJC which I like. Yah its loud and maybe heavy but I like it.

The issue i have is I always seem to have the wrong visor, clear on a sunny day, i wear glasses so shades mean I cant see. But if I have the tinted one then I am always riding in the dark, Can't see again. If I open my visor my eyes water up from the wind in the lid.

Tried tucking my extra visor down my side under my jacket, just didn't work, and I don't want to carry my backpack all the time just for a spare visor.

On a related note, a clear visor will not remain wedged between your windscreen and gauges on a 2009. It will how ever bounce off of your chest when you wind it up to a 100k and then it will skitter down the side of the highway :(

i have a scorpion with the internal visor. it was cool at first but now its just gimmicky. oh and i have the blue tinted one so its not dark but cuts the glare and sharpens the image.

internal visor = no room for sunglasses = cant ride with shield up. the internal visor creates a weird air flow that is even worse than just having open eyes to the wind. honestly id recommend trying on helmets until you find something that fits perfectly, not trying to knock your lid but hjc is a generic shape helmet. which means its a compromising shape. it doesnt really fit anybody well but can accommodate most heads, sorta. then find out if that lid has the option for a photochromic shield, or have a dedicated pair of riding glasses. i have a pair of glasses only used when i ride, they dont have to be expensive, but if they are polarized and color sharpening (blue, orange, or gold then they wont be bad in the dark. mine actually cut the headlight glare without making me blind). take a pair of glasses with you when you go try helmets.

btw i hate my scorpion. getting an Arai soon, I don't care about the visor gimmick

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
HJC IS-16 fits better than any SHOEI I ever put on my head TYVM... Little loud but the sunshield works great, CAN be used with the visor up. Although if you had such a helmet and wanted to use sunglasses, what's preventing you from putting the sunshield up and wearing sunglasses?

Oh good ventilation too ;) not bad for a low-mid range helmet