My Recent Experience at a Dealership

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I took a ride to salem, OR form Portland yesterday and stretched it out by taking the back roads…very lovely. Anyway, I was riding around salem and went by a yamaha dealership.

I’ve been looking for a part for my bike but no one seems to have it in stock and if it has to be ordered I can order it just as well as they can and usually cheaper. So I thought I’d give them a try, besides it was time for a butt break anyway. It turns out they had to order it too, I said no thanks and asked “where are you tank bags.”

While I was looking at the only tank bag they had I noticed out of the corner of my eye a very nice looking bike. It turns out it was a red 2008 FZ1. The dealerships that I have been to recently didn't stock the FZ1 so it was the first chance I had to see one in the flesh. The bike wasn’t all crowded in like most are so I swung my leg over and sat in the seat. The first thing I noticed was how comfortable the seat was. It seemed to be a bit firmer and a little wider than the FZ6. The riding position was about the same except the handle bars are a bit wider. The salesman must have seen the smile on my face, like the one in my avatar, and came running over. Before he could say anything I said “how much”. I noticed he looked to his right so I followed his eyes and noticed three other z1’s, another red, a dark grey, that looks like carbon fiber, and a jet black one. They had orange tags on them with the price. The top price was 92xx and was crossed out with a price of 82xx listed below. I’m really not in the market for a bike but realized it must be an end of the season sale. After the salesman quoted the lower price he immediately said he could do a lot better but the sale ends tomorrow…OK, up until now everything was light and friendly but when they start with the crap it’s time for me to leave. I told him I wasn’t interest in a new bike and that I was only interested because I hadn’t seen the new ‘08 FZ1. Then he asks me for my name and phone number so he won’t lose his job, says he has to show something for his time. He said he wouldn’t call me except to tell me about “new deals” that become available. Now I’m pissed and figure the game is on so I give him the information and promptly leave. While I’m putting my gear on in the parking lot a guy comes running out of the dealership and introduces himself as the “Floor Manager” and says he can make me a REAL good deal and to think about it. I immediately thought, what happened to the “deal ends tomorrow” line. Well now that I’m pissed and the game is on I told him I’d think about it.

The point is that the ‘09 models will be out soon and the carrying charges on the ‘08’s are going to start eating into their profit margins. Good deals can be had on the leftovers if your in the market for a new bike.

Buying info.
http://buy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_to_Buy_a_New_Motorcycle

Dealer invoice:
Yamaha Motorcycles

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for a new truck right now, don't you love them pushy salesmen? :tard: We should memorize the phone number of our local Pest Control service, and give 'em that number! :D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice anecdote about the Salem dealer. Aren't the dealer salesfloor people clever? Some of them are outright LIARS and wil say something and then later, have memory loss (or claim that you have it) Now, concerning the FZ1: I have always thought that maybe, one day, I'd seriously consider getting one (I haven't even had my FZ6 a year yet) but the FZ1's evidently have a MAJOR PROBLEM with FRAME CRACKING! This is startling to me. I've ready several accounts (the "other" forum) of people having frame cracks and these are cracks/cracking that govern a complete frame replacement! It seems to be a developing problem with some FZ1's! I haven't read even one, no, not one post/thread about the similar frames on the FZ6 so it seems that it's a developing problem only with FZ1's. Thought I mention this...it sure has my eyebrows raised about a possible move up to a FZ1. The riders who have posted about this reveal that it's big deal. Others, after reading about the problem, have detected cracks starting to appear. I don't know, could this be anything to be concerned about?

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I was not aware of the frame cracking problem. I, like you thought to eventually own one but now not so much. Has this problem surfaced in only one particular year or ar they starting to surface in a number of years?

Tailgate, you seem to have a good handle on the salem sales staff, I hope it's not a result of their predatory practices.:(

As an update, I was called today by the customer service people but I was out riding. I called them back and they seem to have a centralized customer service group for all the dealers in the area so if you go to another dealer they already know what offer is on the table...cute.:Flip:

mike62858

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I had known more when I bought mine.This is my first bike.I was looking for a leftover 07 and only one place had one.They nickel and dimed me to death.I overpaid, and learned a lesson, bike dealers and car dealers work the same way. I even paid cash.
Shame on me. But I love the bike!

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I've rarely had good experiences at dealerships of either kind. I actually had a guy tell me one time that his dealership charged more because someone will eventually come along and pay it. But I guess thats common in military towns. So many young people wanting bikes, and don't care how much it costs.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I was not aware of the frame cracking problem. I, like you thought to eventually own one but now not so much. Has this problem surfaced in only one particular year or ar they starting to surface in a number of years?

Tailgate, you seem to have a good handle on the salem sales staff, I hope it's not a result of their predatory practices.:(

As an update, I was called today by the customer service people but I was out riding. I called them back and they seem to have a centralized customer service group for all the dealers in the area so if you go to another dealer they already know what offer is on the table...cute.:Flip:

rvbiker: No, never been to the Salem dealership you're talking about. But, I can imagine..... As for the FZ1 frame cracking problem, well, I am/was alarmed because, for example, if there were several (not just 2) accounts on this forum of FZ6 (not FZ1) frames cracking I would possibly be looking to unload the bike (before I had cracking probs). Some of the FZ1 posters were saying that they didn't wheelie and felt that they were not hard on their frames but still have the problem. Something tells me that if there are already several accounts of FZ1 frame cracking that there are more waiting to happen and others that haven't been reported on a forum. I imagine the frames are the "new generation" ones or something?

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
Liars, damn liars, and car/bike dealerships. My father always used to say that there was only entity that would win when you buy a new car or bike - the dealership... However really when you think about it, they shoot themselves in the foot with the 'hard sell' or dodgy sales practices, as in honesty they make more out of aftersales and service than they do on the sale of the bike itself, so you'd think they would play the 'long game' a little more and see the big picture.

For example - You need a 600 mile service and one every 6000 mile thereafter. To preserve the value of your bike on the 2nd hand market, you have to go to a dealer to get the service book stamped. If they have screwed you over on the sale, why would you go back? You would just take the bike elsewhere... I am always amazed they forget that they will have to see the person again a few weeks later for the 600 mile service, and if they have not acted properly, face a lot of bad karma.

On the other hand, I had a great dealer experience (so far). The day after purchase, I realised I needed a new disk lock and tank protector... I went straight back to the dealer. The dealer took 10 mins out to chat to me, booked in my first service, and asked me how things were going. Today I want to buy some gloves etc... where do I go? I have no issue going back again and giving him more money. I've probably spent more since buying the bike, than the dealer got on their sales margin!!

if a dealer sucks or has been rude, I'd say you hurt them more by just going elsewhere.