My New Integrated Tail light

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
So, my new tail light came in, and I just finished installing it. I kept my Rizoma signals because I like them, and they're bright enough I'm sure you legally need eye protection to look at them. Here's the vid:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0weHous87kA]YouTube - New Integrated taillight FZ6[/ame]

I went with the smoked version and it seems plenty bright enough. And when it's off, the tail light blends in with the bike some.
It also flashes a few times when you activate the brakes, but I was short a helper to hit the brakes for me.

I bought it here: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/2003-2009-Yamaha-Integrated-Sequential-Lights/dp/B004TCZYHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1304203739&sr=8-1"]Motodynamic tail light[/ame]

Motodynamic has videos of everything in action here: www.motodynamic.com

And they just dropped the price $5 on their website over Amazon. Figures. I still got free 2 day shipping, but still. :Flip:

I didn't bother taking pictures of everything because the standard install is straight forward. Just follow the included directions, no soldering required. Hooking up two different sets of turn signals is going to change depending on what you're hooking up.

If someone decides to do the Rizoma/integrated set up like I did, then hopefully this is enough help. I spliced the regulator sections for the Rizoma signals inline before the resistor brick for the tail light. I didn't touch the stock harness for any of this. (If at all possible, never touch the stock harness anyway.) If you need more info or help with other tail light issues ask it here or PM me.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a visual person myself, so here's a diagram to get the idea across. Small black rectangles are the rizoma regulator deals, and the big one is the huge honking brick for the tail light.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good and it great that you kept your Rizomas on there.

I thought about it, but you really can't see the integrated signal when you're really off angle (like if you were in my blind spot), and it just left way too much angle where you can't see a turn signal.

That and I thought about the $100 or so I spent on them, so I was at least going to move them up front. But I'm getting the integrated mirrors up front, so it wound up being easiest to leave them on the back. Since they're 360 viewable and the front mounts are a bit wider spaced (not tucked under the seat), I might move them up there at some point, but... I'm probably too lazy.

My new digital flasher should be here soon, so that'll make it a bit easier. We'll see.

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
How does your fit? On mine it doesn't fit as tight as the OEM and I had to add some weather stripping underneath to minimize movement of the lense.

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I can say the clear altenratives smoked lens fit ok in the stock housing but the mounting hardware they supply is garbage. You'll need to rig up your own way to solidly mount the led board to the housing. Not hard tho just kind of a pain in the butt.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
How does your fit? On mine it doesn't fit as tight as the OEM and I had to add some weather stripping underneath to minimize movement of the lense.

Mine fit just like stock. I had no issues. It really moves around a little less than the stock one. This particular one comes as the whole lens assembly, so unlike the clear alternatives, this one is truly plug and play. It even comes with a harness designed to be plugged straight into the stock harness.

It's why I snagged this version over the clear alternatives.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
looks awesome, thanks for posting cause I want to get one. Hard choice is clear or smoked on a white fz now

I'd go clear on just about everything but black. The smoked blends in with the black and looks awesome, but it's a really light smoke since these are DOT so it may not pop like you'd think.

Tedfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
DO you know if this set up would work with the stock taillights or would it be a problem since they are not LED? Thanks for your help!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
It shouldn't matter. Actually if you tapped the lines on the ground side of the turn signals, you shouldn't need the resistor in there even. Which is good, cause that thing is massive.

EDIT: But leave that resistor brick in there unless you also get a digital flasher. Unless you're good at splicing and soldering and can do it right the first time. Not a lot of room on the cables to work with, and if you still need it, you'd probably have about 1 maybe two tries before you just ran out of room on the wire. That or use those posi-lock connectors, so you don't have to cut anything til you're sure.

Last edited:

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm gonna have to get one of these. I'm always paranoid that people don't see the stock tail, so I like the flashing feature. I'm also sure the signals would be better than the crappy ones that came with my 2Bros.

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
I dislike you!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, jk, looks great but I dislike you because you're making me want to spend more money on one of these!!!!!!!!! ;)

Dee Eff See

The Mastodon
Reaction score
Visit site
I am also looking at getting one of these, but I would like to just completely remove the other rear turn signals. Anyone know if this would be street legal in Texas to just have that tail light as your rear turn signals?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Texas has got to be the most leinent state on motorcycles. No dB restriction, no helmet laws whatsoever, kids just have to be able to touch the pegs, etc.

I imagine, as long as the lights aren't blue you'd be okay.

Dee Eff See

The Mastodon
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, that's awesome, and terrible. I think I'll just stick with the tail light sans stalk lights and see how it looks. Might be good enough like that, if not I'll add some independent turn signals later.

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
let me just say that the day i saw the video "downrange" put up, i ordered my own. i have a black 09 and so obviously went with the smoke and was pleased with the darkness. however the install was way more involved than i planned. unless i did it wrong but after a little while i got it in and working fine. i left it wired for all stock for now for whatever reason. now its gonna force me to get a fender eliminator quick because i have 2 huge blinkers sticking out of my side like a hitch-hiker. thanks for the video again. looks beautiful. being that i have never put any pictures up, maybe ill just take a day dedicated to catching up with everyone else haha.