My New Ingenious Sat Nav Mount

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered a few bits to mount my Tomtom one onto my 08 faired FZ.Hopefully its gonna look as good as Sangers when its finished but mine will be in Chrome instead of black for a total of £11.00 approx for all the bits.

Clear pouch :- eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Bar mount :- eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Copper Tube :- eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

My only concern will be if the mount arrives in time as its coming from China.
I'll let you know how it all goes when it arrives
I ordered one of those bags a while ago. They are not the easiest to see though as the plastic is actually ridged. They are waterproof though - which will stop as soon as you cut a hole in the back to run the mount though. You'll have to find some way to seal that up. Good luck! Make sure you post your ingenious solution here! :)

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Posting mostly to Sub to this thread for reference....

anyway, i'm doing the "Sanger Bar Mod" as soon as i finish typing this. I'll be using it for the GPS as well as my GoPro. that way i dont have to put any sticky crap on my bike. also, who really looks through their screen anyhoo?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
^ For anybody that needs longer bolts like i did:

10 x 32 metric machine bolts. i kept the allen head setup. also the receiver unit is a "through" setup and will accommodate bolts up to 1"

M8 - 0.8 is also the same size.

Last edited:

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the idea Sanger! I'm going to be using this for my GoPro and phone shortly, but will be adding Sugru to dampen the vibrations; horrible video otherwise. I wanted to powder coat but the only local shop quoted $85...no thanks.

I've made two because I could only get a minimum of 2' long copper pipe. If anyone wants to buy one, give me a holler, and let me know if you'd like it coated with sugru (any color, it comes in primary colors) or just original plain copper. If coated w/sugru $22, if plain, then $12, including free larger size metric screws, same type as original

Last edited:

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I may be interested in your spare. What do you mean coated in sugru? I've looked the product up and all I can imagine it's a copper pipe with playdough wrapped around it in a couple spots. Got a pic of the completed one?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I may be interested in your spare. What do you mean coated in sugru? I've looked the product up and all I can imagine it's a copper pipe with playdough wrapped around it in a couple spots. Got a pic of the completed one?
Sugru is awesome. It cures and it's like rubber. It will be solid as long as the layer isn't too thin. It's damn pricey tho! Another option would be plasti-dip. But sugru would work well as long as it's not so thin that it tears/comes off.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Sanger, do you think a .5in / 13mm pipe would do the job? We only have 1/2in and 3/4in pipe in the states.
You would be best to use 22mm pipe to use an adaptor designed for mirrors & standard handle-bars. I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you where you can buy it in the US. 7/8-inch is the exact size.

If not, 3/4" is closest with 19mm, will be able to bulk it out a bit by wrapping it with thin rubber/plastic sheeting etc - this will also make it grippier and reduce vibes.

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Dave,

Sorry I missed your post. I thought I was subscribed to this thread via email but I guess not. I hadn't coated mine in sugru yet because I was thinking of exactly how to get a good uniform layer. I was thinking of coating in line-x instead, and am asking them this week about price.

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a picture of it on the bike. Coated by line-x. The coated bar I could sell for $30 to someone's door via priority mail in the states, $19 for uncoated.

IMG_20140408_170243.jpg

Last edited:

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site
They could leave it untextured, but I wanted my mounts to have greater friction for a better hold. I could probably show what that would look like if I swing back by there again.

rabernar

rabernar
Reaction score
Visit site
Previously I had my sat nav mounted on my bars. I've gone back to using the stock '08 bar clamps and also wanted to be able to mount my GPS in a position nearer the clocks where it would be more protected from the elements and also easier to see. I've managed to do this now.

I bought a 50cm long copper bar with a diameter of 22mm on ebay, chopped it down and flattened and bent the ends. I mounted this above the clocks using the top two inner fairing mount holes. The GPS mount I built originally fits onto this perfectly - although I modified it slightly by adding some rubber to stop it damaging the paint on the bar.

I just used a hammer to bash the ends of the pipe to get them flat and also to bend. I then drilled a hole in each flat part for a bolt to go through. I painted all the bits using Plastikote BBQ paint because it can be cured in the oven to go rock solid. I think it looks a lot better than the copper and mix of other colours I would otherwise be getting.

I have a fan-assisted oven and I waited till my girlfriend was out and use it to cure the paint so it will be rock solid. I heated the bits up to 150c for 10 mins, then let them cool for 10 mins, then heated them up to 200c for 15 mins and let them cool before installing. This worked great for me but it may vary depending upon the material you painted and your oven.

Here you can see a comparison between the painted object and the original copper pipe:-

Here is one of the bends at the end of the pipe:-

As you can see, it's been marked by the hammer, but most of this is covered by the washer:-

Here is the mount. I cut up a rubber air-pipe length-ways and glued it on for added grip and protection:-

Here is just the pipe installed. I think it looks great! I'm really glad I bothered to paint it and the washers etc:-

Here is the mount installed onto the pipe. I have since painted the big silver bolt black by the way:-

I have my sat nav in a waterproof bag designed for a walkie talkie. I just cut the end off the part that would cover the antennae for the wires to go through. As you can see, it all fits fine:-

There isn't as much glare on the screen as it seems in the last picture. I have headphones plugged into it anyway to direct me:-

And here you can see it all mounted up from the side:-
Excellent work, a great fab.
Thanks for sharing.