My first mods on my "new" 06

johnn

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, this pretty candy apple red FZ6 had only 2k miles on it so I traded my V-star and got $1600 back on the deal! Of course I had to start working on the mods! First step was to install the VistaCruise I took off the V-Star. I ground down the bracket a little and it fits and works great. Then I installed my KnightRyder light bar on the top of the license plate bracket, taking the power from the tail/brake light under the rear seat. I had a nice lesson on how the rear panels and grab bars come off when I dropped a tiny connector part down inside. There was no way to get it, even with long nose pliers, so I did a little creative disassembly and was able to get it out. I'm looking next at a headlight mod but I'm not sure exactly what happens if I do the 8-minute wire mod. It sure would be an easy job to do but I'm not sure it will do what I need. Probably the bd43 is the best. And I'm trying to decide about the airbox mod, since I read comments both for it and against it. I think modding is half the fun!

And yes, I know I should take a picture but with such tiny mods it's probably not worth the bother.

John
Indiana :banghead:

lewis6681

Reaction score
Visit site
I hear ya! I too came from a V-star to the FZ6, and almost immediately started modding.... I went with the bd43 mod as well fyi.

johnn

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Noblesville, Just north of Indianapolis. I'm an old goat, age 76, but found the V-Star to be too pokey and laid back. I had traded an FJR1300 to get the V-Star only because the FJR was too tall for me. The FZ6 seems about right, or will be after i get around to shaving down the seat (if my wife will let me use her electric knife for the job!)

The Knight Ryder tail light is cool, constantly blinks from side to side, and then flashes 5 or 6 times when the brakes are applied and then goes on solid. I hope it helps keep the SUVs off my rear!

John
Indiana :cheer::surrender:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
awesome! always love to hear about such young riders rocking the FZ! Good choice. And you say pics aren't worth it? we always love pics!

johnn

Reaction score
Visit site
Go here: Night Rider LED Light Bar to see the Knight Rider Sequential LED light bar.
The Grip Puppies are on the way, as are the frame sliders and a new taller windshield.
I guess the headlight mod is next, or maybe I will work out a way to add a pair of hand protectors that I have from another bike. I'll have to fabricate a new mounting system but that won't be too hard. :thumbup:
Modding is FUN!

John
Indiana