My first mod is complete!

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
Hey all,

So if you've been reading my posts, you know I bought a used 2005. Well, The joker who owned it before me put in a fender eliminator but didnt transfer the plate light. This renders the bike illegal at night in my state. Soooo my first mod has been adding a plate light.

I opted for for light bolts from Custom Dynamics. I bought them from Dave at The Helmet Center along with a new pair of Cortech gauntleted winter gloves which I seriously needed!

Anyways, I pulled off my rear cowling last night and took a gander at what the joker did with the old plate light wiring. Yeah...He pretty much cut it all the way back to the sub harness and I had no chance of reusing that line.

So I cut off my running/brake light connector a few inches before the harness plug and spliced into that. This works well because the light bolts I bought also have another set of LEDs in them that can either wire into the brake light or turn signals. You can buy amber or red. I opted for red and wired tem into my brake line. I sealed it all up with waterproof barrel connectors and heat shrink tubing, then I went over that with electrical tape. No water will be getting in THERE!

I gotta say I am impressed with how clean it makes the back end look. I now want to do the rest of my lighting mods so the whole bike can look than clean!

IMG_20111218_204900.jpg

By the time I got done wiring it all in and bolting everything back on, the wife was asleep so I don't have a good pic with the brakes yet. Will post when I get one though.

Last edited:

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I've got those on mine. I bought my bike from another state, so I had to change the plates when I got it home. Only bad thing with them is that I had to cut the wires to get the bolts out, to change the plate. Luckily I don't change states too often.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
looks good and nice. shame about the wiring was murdered by the previous owner, i dont think he cared much for the bike, luckily you rescued her:thumbup:

D

Dave.TX

Yup, looks good. Congrats on the new bike! When I got my bike it already had SW Motech mounts for Givi hard bags (came with those too) so the fender eliminator had already been done. The LED bar type license plate light didn't work so I bought a new one and remounted it better. Thankfully my wiring wasn't butchered but I did clean it up some in the process. It's always fun finding the hidden gems previous owners leave you!

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
Yeah. If' I ever have to swap plates, then I'll have to splice again and wire in some connectors. I have some. I don't know why I didnt think to wire them in and then tape them up. Oh well. Hindsight...it is what is...20/250, right? :p