My bike is making a sound reminiscent of a tazer!

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike started making this strange noise. The best way a can describe it is to say it sounds like a tazer. I notice it more in the lower gears, especially when she's winding down, but that may be just because I can't hear it when the engine is running high. I'm not very knowledgeable about engine mechanics but I do understand the basic parts and how they work; I know just enough to be dangerous lol. My fear is that the ticking sound is the pistons smacking the valves for some unknown reason. She's running fine and all. She has full power through the entire RPM range, acceleration is normal and smooth, throttle response hasn't changed, she's not smoking, And she doesn't jerk or skip. As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with her but that noise really concerns me. What do you guys ( and gals :D ) think about it? Anyone else experience this? One thing that I can say is that I changed to 87 octane a few weeks back but our bikes are rated for that so I hope thats not causing a problem.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Need more info.
Year, miles, the more info you can offer about your bike the better.

Have you checked all the bolts for tightness? I got a wierd bzzt bzzt bzzt sound when two oil pan bolts came loose one falling to the road never to be seen again. Replaced of course.

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
Its a 2006 with about 8,000 miles on it. Break-in and first service were performed as normal. She's never been down although I did have a minor accident that broke the right hand fairing but the body wasn't hurt at all. I've kept up with all her maintenance aswell. I haven't checked the bolts though.... that may be a good idea hahaha

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe that it is the injectors ticking, I have spent loads of time, money and worry trying to get to the bottom of my FZ6 ticking. It is more noticeable on a close throttle slowing down like yours.
There are a few threads pertaining to this issue.
It is quite normal for the special one to sing to their owners whilst being ridden.

Nelly

Last edited:

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys :) It has been bothering me. I've got a warranty on her but I still dont want to deal with her being down.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
If your pistons were "smacking" your valves.... your engine would have a wee bit of a problem (sarcasm)... The tazer sound would be the least of your worries..;) Check the simple things first.

Common FZ6 noise makers...

1) Clutch lever vibrating
2) Plastic rad cover vibrating
3) Plastic body work, fairing, cables or instument panel vibrating

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
My bikes always made many strange sounds so I've grown used to them. This one just started recently which is why it's been bothering me. The fact that I switched to low octane and it's been 106 degrees here that past few days got me worried.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is crazy I have been experiencing something similar. When in the lower gears at times not all the time it sounds like a tazer. But I couldn't think of how to describe the sound. When I first heard it and still I almost bailed off the bike. It makes me think something is about to shock the hell out of me or its catching on fire. It reminds me of something arcing like crazy. Mine is new though it only has 659 miles and is a 07 FZ6. I don't know if this matters or not but mine is blowing a white smoke out of the exhaust. No I haven't had my valves adjusted or oil changed yet. I call my dealer and they said I had to wait till this Saturday and that it would not hurt the bike only a few hundred miles over 600. Feel free to tell me what you guys think.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Use earplugs. A cheap set of foamies and you'll never hear it. When I wear earplugs all I hear is the engine, when I don't I hear the fuel pump and the ticking.

mattheww1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem sound like ts coming from the top of the engine block?!.. It is really concerning also it now sounds like exhaust is blowing but all pipes look good no corrosion mines a 2006 with 12000 miles on it, can anyone help? Bolts all look fine, is it a common problem for this ticking? Thanks..