MSF Range Bikes

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question for MSF coaches. (You OH guys are all former MSF now, right Blah)

What newer program bikes do you see on your ranges?

At PKB in West Virginia we have mostly Honda Nighthawks with a few Rebels, two CRF230's, Suzuki GV's and a single Yamaha Star 250. Good bikes but they're getting to be more than 10-15 years old.

At the winter roundup meeting the state guys were pushing us to try harder at working with the local dealers on the loaner program. Apparently it's a pretty good deal where we get to use a bike or several for a year, then the dealer sells it used, and the corporation covers the difference in new versus used price.

But looking at the newer 250-400 cc bikes, I see a lot of plastic, which will NOT do well through all those predictable drops.

At the Morgantown range they have four loaner Grom's. (Which are NOT fair competition for the limited space exercise. But they ARE road-legal so they encourage the height challenged folks to try those.)

So, does anybody see any newer bikes? Are they holding up well through the low speed drops? I hear the Ninja's are not considered.

Chris

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No opinions from THIS crowd. Really?

OK, you're all hibernating. But this is the time of year to TALK about bikes if you aren't riding them.

So, what do you think about having water cooled bikes on an MSF range? Messy?

What about a KTM 390 Duke? If there's only one on a range, I think there would be fist fights over that one.

Chris

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What makes a good range bike?

One that can be dropped without expensive repairs (beyond levers and controls)
Low seat height
Low weight
Low power
Smooth clutch and throttle
Low acquisition cost and maintenance cost

There aren’t many street bikes that fit that description (there are a lot of dirt bikes that do). TW200, VanVan, Nighthawk 250 (I’m not even sure that’s a thing anymore) come to mind. Bikes like the 390 Duke or Z400 are not good range bikes, but perfect first (or 5th) bikes.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We have a stable consisting mostly of Yamaha VStar 250's, a few Ninja 250's, a couple of Yamaha TW250's and 2 Suzuki SU 250's. The Ninja's age VERY poorly, shedding plastic if they even get close to the ground. The V Stars have sloppy rear brake and shift linkages because of the forward control location, and the SU's suffer from TMB..... Too Many Birthdays.

I think the real question is not so much WHICH bikes you have, but how LONG you have them. Our program was hurt hard by Hurricane Sandy, destroying most of the fleet. Only the SUs are pre 2012. But 7 years of BRCs have reduced the Ninjas and V Stars to heaps!

Oh, and we have never had a leak from the water cooled Ninjas. I better TCLOCKS them and make sure they have coolant :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We are getting BMW's. They stop making the Suzuki TU250's and the new Honda Rebel 300's were never a big hit amongst many of our coaches. But I like the new Rebels, so easy to scrape the pegs.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What makes a good range bike?

Under the MSF guidelines, for bikes to be used in the Basic Rider Course, they must fall within a certain criteria. Not to exceed 30" seat height and has to be less than 300cc. Cost becomes a factor at some point. Certain models fair better than others during drops or crashes. The new Honda Rebel 300 does not hold up well. The Nighthawks and Suzuki TU's sustain less damages. Most common replacements. Broken clutch or front brake levers. Bent levers, pegs and shifters. We encourage our students to use our motorcycles so that they don't damage their own in the event of a drop or crash. We always have spare bikes in the event one students bike becomes unfixable.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Our local Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki dealer managed to lend us a 2020 MT-03 for the season.

It's a NICE little bike. I think it would be a great starter bike. But, it's not the best trainer bike.

Why no the best? This thing has a LOT of torque and very capable brakes. Both are less than optimal for a beginner for the first several exercises. But not a problem because I screen the class before we start and make certain that the MT goes to somebody who already has some skill with bikes, and who doesn't look like a hoon.

Sorry Repetti - You would start on a nighthawk.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Our season finished up at the end of October. The MT-03 was returned to the dealer without a scratch. For my peace of mind, I had equipped it with a crash protection kit from Wometech. I removed it before returning the bike. We're hoping to get another one for the '22 season. The availability seems to be getting better than it was last year.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never understood why more training sites, including ours don't install crash bars. Would save me from filling out mountains of paperwork. I will have to inform our state provider about these bikes and the aftermarket crash bars. By chance did you take any pics with the crash bars on?