MRA VARIO TOURING-SCREEN: my review

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

As many here, I'd been looking for a more performing touring front screen since some months, incapable of choosing which one of the tens the market can offer. Furthermore, as some said here with reason: "difficult to choose a screen as soon as you were never able to test it by yourself on your own bike".
So I proceeded by elimination, trying not to just stick to the design I prefered, but rather than that based on reports/reviews I was able to find here and elsewhere, from riders as tall as I am and riding middle-sized half-faired bikes.
Then, here in Thailand, currently we never have cold temperatures. So no need the screen to "cut" the cold air. But, by an other way, we have very, very hot days too in the 3 to 4 months hot season (right now we get some 40°C and maybe more some coming days). At these days, commuting in and around the city (as a oven in this moments) has not to turn in a ride in hell: too much protection may become very uncomfortable...
From this, exit all the "very tall and very wide" screens...

So, at the time to decide I stuck to the PUIG Touring-Screen and the "fixed" MRA Touring-Screen OR the MRA Vario Touring-Screen... IMHO the PUIG Touring-Screen fits very well the FZ6F, better than the "fixed" MRA Touring-Screen... but the MRA Vario Touring-Screen with its moving spoiler seemed to offer the two sides of one same coin: spoiler down for slow rides in hot weather and spoiler up for faster rides on traffic-free roads.
As you guess, I went for the MRA Vario Touring-Screen... AND IT WORKS GREAT!
I ordered it from Twisted Throttle and all was easy, fast and efficient. No comments... Price is 150 $. You may choose between clear, grey smoked and black. I went for the grey smoked and I don't regret: it fits my black Fazer just through my taste!

Well. The MRA Vario Touring-Screen comes out of a plastic bag with its spoiler installed. A lenght of a soft plastic/rubber U-shaped seal and two small metal clips are provided to finish the upper fixed screen rim. As freebies you get 2 coloured MRA stickers...
The fixed screen is about 2.5 mm thick while the spoiler is about 5 mm. Perfect cut and drills, perfect nice print on the bottom from dark black (down) to grey smoked (upper) with a small MRA logo coming in silver colour, spoiler mechanisms are perfectly manufactured and fitted, and seems strong. Shape is perfect and fits just right in place on the fairing, drillings come just where they have to be at the first fit... Well, german quality: what to say more?
So it's just a bolt-on story on the bike, using the stock plastic screws: take off the stock screen and replace it with the MRA...

Zimage.biz
Ten minutes and go!

Zimage.biz
On this upper view you may notice the quality of the details, especially the 2 mechanisms supporting and moving the spoiler.

Zimage.biz
This closer view shows the U-shaped seal and one of the clips previously mentionned. You can install the seal after mounting the screen, but I should recommend to do it before (as I did) as you can handle the screen more freely...
Engage the screen rim into the 2 lips of the seal and tighten it firmly all along the rim. As it is too long, trim excess on the two sides with a sharp cutter, then place at both ends one clip over the seal and press it with a plier... Not too strong to break the screen, but firmly enough to bend them upon the seal: they are here to prevent the seal to "fly off"...

Zimage.biz
Not a good quality pic, sorry, but it shows the MRA screen is a bit more "bubbled" than the stock one, hence it allows a slightly larger opening to the original air inlet just over the clocks, hence an increased air-flow. I suppose, without being by far an expert, MRA technicians improved the screen protection by combining this air-flow with the spoiler/screen clearance one. Though the MRA screen size is very near the stock one, even with spoiler "down", you feel better behind it in the average straight riding position.

But I'll go further in the riding "comfort" on the next page...
See you further for the feels!

Cheers,
Gobs

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Now, here we go for efficiency and feels...
But at first I would like to mention I never previously tested another screen. So the MRA Vario is really good for my needs, but I guess some other screens may work too in different uses or conditions.
Second point I forgot to tell is that I only wear open-face helmets: in the climate here, I feel I can't breaze if I wear a full-face one and sweat really "flows" all over my head and face. Results may be different with full-face helmets...

Test conditions:
- 6' 2" rider,
- Regular straight touring riding position on the bike,
- Open-face helmet,
- Ouside temperature 40°C + (104°F +)

1) Riding at low speeds (under 40/45 mph) with SPOILER DOWN:
I feel better protected behind the MRA Vario than behind the stock screen though the main screen size is very close. Less air-flow pressure on the body but it gets some good breezes. Less turbulence noises in my open-face helmet, but slight refreshing air flow on my face... Air-blade effect and/or bubble effect even at low speeds? I can't explain, I just report as it is...
I had a test with spoiler up at low speeds: as I expected before deciding, less air flow and better protection, both increasing the "oven factor" I was originally afraid of... But not so much.

Zimage.biz

2) Riding at "usual" speeds (60 to 80 mph) with SPOILER UP:
As it's said: "you have to try it to believe it!". The difference with stock is incredible... With the MRA Vario, you feel like riding your bike sat down in your living-room on your favorite sofa taking advantage of the gentle breeze from the fan at low speed in front of you!.. Head, torso, shoulders and high part of my arms benefit not more than a refreshing "breeze" gently moving the material of my jacket: no pressure at all! Front air flow goes well over my helmet and allow me to turn my head right and left without it wobbles... Noise in helmet is a bit lower, but there is... Strange feels at first times when riding in such a quiet way and comfort.

Zimage.biz

However, you feel so quiet riding behind this screen that wind blasts across are more felt. You feel them more as "disruptive elements"... Not that they ARE stronger but more that they "abruptly put you back in the real life" if I may say. In fact, I suppose these winds across dramaticaly disrupt the sort of a "quiet bubble" you are settled in while riding behind the MRA Vario... I suspect it happens with many "highly" protective screens. I already read here and there about this "abrupt" behaviour in some cases of wind blasts across...
Not a big worry for now. It has to be experimented on long trips...

Zimage.biz

At faster speeds I barely never ride, except for some fun from time to time. Right now I can't comment...
In my experience, the MRA Vario screen and its spoiler doesn't move or wobble at any speed tested, or change the behaviour of the bike...
Though it's particuler shape it's not a screen you have to look through while riding. Your eyes height is largely over the spoiler rim. So I guess choosing it black shouldn't be a problem...

Zimage.biz

IMHO these pics show the MRA Vario screen fits well the overall Fazer design. I confess that, at the time of ordering, I was a bit afraid to have to ride a sort of a "Mad Max Machine" after fitting it... But it's not the case at all. At my idea, the spoiler add a kind of a Hi-Tech touch to the front of the bike... and I definitively love it!

Though it's my own experience, I can only recommend this screen.
And I hope this can help in any manner for some mates here to decide.
Feel free to give any comment...

Cheers to all,
Gobs

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
That was a really thorough product review, Gobs..... thanks for taking the time to 'do it right'. Good photos, too. Really shows what you're talking about.