MPG, only getting 40 consistantly....

Jamie T

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got an 07s in April, best milage ive got drving conservatively was 43mgs, but currenlty averaging 40mpg. I drive conservative with few aggressive spurts. I've read on previous posts that many members average 47+mpg/ What am I missing???????????

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My '09 averages 39 on it's life thus far; no matter how I ride it's always really close.

I'm 220 so that probably doesn't help either :)

I don't know how others do it. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
All depends on type of riding if you do a lot of highway riding 50 mpg sound about right. City driving 40. Back roads little traffic 45.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had my 07 I got 41-43 while flogging it most of the time, funny thing is that's the same for my FJR while riding it hard too.

40 is ok, how's the plugs and air filter?

Now the FZ1 is another story...

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing op. I have an 05 and drive like a grand ma, only speeding up to get to the speed limit LOL. I get about 42 mpg only using side streets, no highway, a few 55mph stretches.

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
51 mpg city freeway combined (I have done this test run 3 times), I have cat elim, power comander and scorpions

Last edited:

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '08, with 6,500 miles on it now(bought this spring with 1,447 miles), in the "slicker & sexier" Raven Black, My highest mileage was 57 MPG, low 44 MPG, most of the time between 50-52 MPG. I don't rev too high, but usually have a handful of throttle! If accelerating "medium strong" usually shift between 4-5,000 RPM. Rich

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's a fitch??

Just another one of those gas saver scam gadgets like the magic magnet on your fuel line, the tornado thing you stick in your air filter, nitrogen air in your tires, the dream catcher on your mirror, etc.

Fuel saving gadgets - a professional engineer's view

Your bikes fuel injectors will be spraying the same amount of fuel they were spraying into the combustion chamber that they were before the fitch gadget so no you will not increase your mpg.

Reaction score
www.remispowersystems.com
Just another one of those gas saver scam gadgets like the magic magnet on your fuel line, the tornado thing you stick in your air filter, nitrogen air in your tires, the dream catcher on your mirror, etc.

Fuel saving gadgets - a professional engineer's view

Your bikes fuel injectors will be spraying the same amount of fuel they were spraying into the combustion chamber that they were before the fitch gadget so no you will not increase your mpg.

The Fitch changes your fuel before it gets "sprayed"...It changes the molecular structure from a daisy chain like molecule to an aliphatic molecule (with "fingers" so it's a cleaner more efficient burn. You'll get more horsepower and better fuel mileage. It was invented to be a fuel stabilizer for the government. The navy uses it in their vehicles that sit...saves the fuel from becoming bad and you don't have to put Stabil in it ever again. I have a Fitch in all of my vehicles including my snow blower, lawn mower, cycle, car, snowmobile. It's worked in everyone of them. I personally know mechanics and 'regular joes' that have tried it and loved the performance. So, say what you like....they work- and it's not just me saying it...
Fitch Fuel Catalyst: Products - Published Reviews

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. My experience with MPG is that people will generally talk about their highest measurements and just sort of dismiss their lower ones. Do you use Fuelly or something similar to track it? It's fun. I once got 47 but I believe I'm no averaging 43 on mixed city/highway riding. What type of riding are you doing?

I guess my point is people do all sorts of different riding and they aren't always being honest with you or themselves (I don't think it's malicious, but still). Yamaha rated the bike at 40. Unless you're riding at 55MPH with no stops for hours at a time, I think you're fine.

If you want, you can check your chain tension, tire alignment, air filter, plugs, and whatever else somebody can come up with. Are you tall? I'm 6'3" so I sometimes wonder if my taller torso acting as a sail decreases my mileage as compared to other people.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
40 MPG is about what I get around town but that's usually with a fairly, often hard throttle (7-8k RPM) and little to no highway riding. Thats with open Scorps, stock gearing. The bike is cleaned/serviced more often than called for (cleaned chain, regular oil/filter changes, K&P SS oil filter-free'r flowing)

My FJR gets approx 42-45 cruising on the highway but the rev's are about half of what the FZ6 is...

My old KLR 250 got about 70 in town...

Last edited:

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
The Fitch changes your fuel before it gets "sprayed"...It changes the molecular structure from a daisy chain like molecule to an aliphatic molecule (with "fingers" so it's a cleaner more efficient burn. You'll get more horsepower and better fuel mileage. It was invented to be a fuel stabilizer for the government. The navy uses it in their vehicles that sit...saves the fuel from becoming bad and you don't have to put Stabil in it ever again. I have a Fitch in all of my vehicles including my snow blower, lawn mower, cycle, car, snowmobile. It's worked in everyone of them. I personally know mechanics and 'regular joes' that have tried it and loved the performance. So, say what you like....they work- and it's not just me saying it...
Fitch Fuel Catalyst: Products - Published Reviews

ford, gm, toyota, honda will all spend huge to make another 2mpg even in hybrids, but they're not installing this magic bullet / pellet / whatever ?

:spam:

Jamie T

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'10'', I drive 2/3 city and 1/3 hwy. i keep revs around 4k-5k in city, hwy around 6k (73mph). Sprokets are stock.

Thanks for everyone's coments/advise.