Moving across the country

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not familiar with tying down my motorcycle. I'm planning on using an ABF trailer to move the bike along with my personal belongings. I considered just using the center stand but I'm not sure hat is a good idea. Any thoughts on how I should safely transport the bike. I'm moving from TN to AZ FYI.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me look for some pictures I may have of my FZ6 being tied down in my trailer.
I trailer the bike every weekend from April to October. I race MX and bring the FZ6 in the trailer so I have a vehicle to use when I need to leave the track during the weekend since the truck stays in the pit... I've never had a single issue with the way I tie mine down.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_0507.jpg

So here, what I do, is I have a strap that is about 10" long and has a loop on each end. I loop it over the lower triple clamp and around the fork (basically in a C shape) and feed one end of the loop through the other, then attach my tie down strap. I do this on both sides.
I set the tie down strap up so that when I tighten it, I'm pulling up on the loose end of the strap, as well as down on the bar on that same side, and go in increments between both sides to make it even. I doesn't need to bottom out the fork as that will end up blowing a seal during the trip.

IMG_0506.jpg

So here, I attach my strap to the passenger foot peg bracket. There is a little hole in the flat piece that is perfect for the hook to go through.
I set this strap up the same way as the front. It just makes it easier to get it tight.

The bike will wiggle around with just the front straps on, but once the rear straps go on it will be rock solid.

You could also use this strap system without a wheel chock since the straps will pull in opposite directions, but I use the chock since it's guaranteed to work and makes it a job that I can do by myself in about 90 seconds flat.

I've done probably 30,000 km with my bikes tied down like this and have not once ever had an issue. My last trailer was only about 4'8" wide on the inside and they were always just fine in there too with no movement.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not familiar with tying down my motorcycle. I'm planning on using an ABF trailer to move the bike along with my personal belongings. I considered just using the center stand but I'm not sure hat is a good idea. Any thoughts on how I should safely transport the bike. I'm moving from TN to AZ FYI.

I'm not sure what an ABF trailer is however I would definitly use soft straps around the lower triple clamp/forks. I also have the Canyon dancer's but found they tend to put a bunch of pressure on the grips, throttle tube, etc. The soft tie downs are considerably sturdier and will clear the fairing if you have one. If you don't have a ft wheel chock, I'd get the ft wheel into the corner of the trailer and likely sidestand it with tie downs. I definitly would NOT use the centerstand, one good bump and its off...

Some pic's of using the soft ties:

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely don't just put it on the center stand. :p Big trailers do ride smooth, but not THAT smooth.

I've got a pair of these, they're quite nice for the front at least. I've always used them on the bars, but I might try the lower triple next time. I've also been meaning to grab second set for the rear, but they're not nearly as critical back there... I usually just go around the grab handles and back to the same point.

They're pretty nice straps, second only to their yellow 1.5" straps in my book. The yellow ones are a little heavier-duty overall, definitely overkill of most any bike... the hooks, strap material, and heads are about the same quality as professional 2" straps. FWIW you can find the yellow 1.5" ones at Wally World for $15 a pop. After having cheap 1" straps break over and over, I've got 8 of those now. Only had one break, and it was my own fault for how I routed it.

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said, no center stand while transporting the bike. You either want it strapped vertically like seen in the above picture or you want to put it on the side stand and strap it down tight enough to compression the suspension a bit.

Honestly, the best advice I could give you is the find a friend locally who has some experience tie-ing down a bike to show you how in person. Pictures and words only get the idea along so far. Once you've been shown once, you'll know how to do it in future instances and/or to help another fellow biker.:thumbup:

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice and tips. David I'm moving to Phoenix. Probably Deer Valley or Peoria. I would love to hear about good areas to ride out there.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also a good idea to check the tensions of the strap after the first hour of your trip. And then check it everytime you stop for fuel.

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
With ABF I load and they haul so I won't be able to check.

One question not addressed yet is whether to leave the bike in neutral or not.

From reading the posts on here it seems I should buy a wheel choc and straps although it is not clear whether the rear needs to be strapped down as well. That is probably" just a do what your comfortable with "type of answer.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_0507.jpg

So here, what I do, is I have a strap that is about 10" long and has a loop on each end. I loop it over the lower triple clamp and around the fork (basically in a C shape) and feed one end of the loop through the other, then attach my tie down strap. I do this on both sides.
I set the tie down strap up so that when I tighten it, I'm pulling up on the loose end of the strap, as well as down on the bar on that same side, and go in increments between both sides to make it even. I doesn't need to bottom out the fork as that will end up blowing a seal during the trip.

IMG_0506.jpg

So here, I attach my strap to the passenger foot peg bracket. There is a little hole in the flat piece that is perfect for the hook to go through.
I set this strap up the same way as the front. It just makes it easier to get it tight.

The bike will wiggle around with just the front straps on, but once the rear straps go on it will be rock solid.

You could also use this strap system without a wheel chock since the straps will pull in opposite directions, but I use the chock since it's guaranteed to work and makes it a job that I can do by myself in about 90 seconds flat.

I've done probably 30,000 km with my bikes tied down like this and have not once ever had an issue. My last trailer was only about 4'8" wide on the inside and they were always just fine in there too with no movement.

Nice set up but with all due respect may I suggest something?

The front ties obviously pull the bike forward into the chock and stabilize the front. The rear ties are meant to keep the rear of the bike from moving about. From what I can in your pictures, your rear ties are pulling the bike back, AWAY FROM the chock. Should a front tie break, your bike is down.. IMO, setting the rear tie down spot slightly forward (from where it attaches to the bike) will still keep the rear from hopping about and should a front tie down break, the bike WON'T BE PULLED BACKWARDS with the two rear tie downs and still help support it... Just a suggestion...

Even thou the racks I have on my homemade trailer have 3" sides, I still designed the trailer to have rear mounting holes also pulling the bike forward with a second set of straps (from the frame forward). If you look closely, you can see numerous .5" holes in the cross members for both sets of tie downs and multiple adjustments... The rear cross member is the same width as the front.

Last edited: