Motorcyclist's new middleweight shootout...

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the summary. I appreciate Motorcyclist and Cycle Wolrd, but sometimes think I am more in line with Rider. In any case, I understand what they say about looks not equaling performance. BIKE, the great english magazine, took the GSX650F for 72hrs and 4000miles (average British rider goes appx 4k miles in one year). Their conclusion was unanimous thumbs up. "The only reservation, after cramming a year's riding into three days, is the nagging feeling that unlike, say, Yamaha's original Fazer 600, or Honda's Hornet, or even Suzuki's own SV650, the GSX650F hasn't quite got the irrepressible charisma and underlying charm that makes the bike itself, rather than the way you ride it, truly memorable."
I recall reading something similar about the current VFR which is why I think it is not as big of a success as the previous VFR's. So, maybe after all, I could give up a little mid range for some more character.
Dani

H

HavBlue

It is more than a reworked Katana. It has a brand new engine. I could see you calling it more of a reworked Bandit 650S. I agree - on paper it certainly doesn't measure up. But, reading the reviews in Rider, BIKE and whatever else I found were all very positive. A huge improvement over the old Katanas. I really wish there was an actual comparison between the two. The only thing I found close was a british journal comparison of the Ninja 650 to the Bandit 650S (previous engine) to the previous generation FZ6, not the FZ6S2. The Ninja won that one and the main complaint they had on the FZ6 is that it really needs to be wound up. Here is the link: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/769/attachments/fz6 fazer.pdf
Dani

PS
a 160 rear tire would make maneuverability around town easier

Let me tell ya something that has bent my nose out of shape since they came out with the first magazine tests of the FZ6 back in 2004. The guys doing these tests clearly had very little time with the bike as their complaints were generated by what I would consider "rider error." Things like needing to be wound up, a lack of mid-range power, sensitive clutch and throttle as well as a host of other complaints were all generated by "not knowing the needs of the machine."

The FZ6 is much like the R6 in that it loves rpm and it lives in the fast lane. Had they not been short shifting the transmission many of the issues they had determined simply wouldn't exist. If you intend on riding around town at 35 or 40 mph in 4th gear then you are the one creating the problem, not the bike. Try riding those same speeds in 2nd or possibly 3rd gear and you will at least give the bike a chance. If a particular rider is not used to riding a bike that loves rpm and they get on an FZ6 with the normal low reving mentality they will be disappointed. Get a rider that knows these type engines and bikes and they'll love it. I can't imagine cruising my FZ6 around at 3 or 4 thousand rpm and then expecting tit o do anything, that's just crazy.....

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhhhhh!!!!
I am trying to decide between the new Suzuki GSX650F and the Yamaha FZ6.
Dani

Sit on them (and the SV650, and the Kawasaki 650R) and get what fits you best. The Kawi 650R and Yamaha were a great "fit" egronomically. The 650R would probably have better power delivery for what I want (about 2x as much at 5500 RPM - buy the Yamaha has more above 8500 RPM). I drive in city traffic frequently (so mid-range torque is 'better'). But, the quality of the Yamaha build is just way better, and the center stand is O-So-Wonderful. I purchased the Yamaha - and I'm very very very happy with it. It just sings, zips and is a blast to ride.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, Jeremiah, based on Motorcycle consumer news areticle, the FZ6 makes pretty much about the same HP and torque as the Ninja 650 at 5500rpm, at least on the dyno. At higher rpms it is much much stronger than the Ninja.
Dani

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, Jeremiah, based on Motorcycle consumer news areticle, the FZ6 makes pretty much about the same HP and torque as the Ninja 650 at 5500rpm, at least on the dyno. At higher rpms it is much much stronger than the Ninja.
Dani

O-RLY?

If this is true - then I'm even happier :rockon:

Can't remember where I read this (tried to find article, and can't now) - just repeating their claims (I KNOW it was on the old FI mapping though). I also remember they didn't post the actual dyno charted results (only commenting on them). I know the FZ makes more-than-enough power for me on the street and in the twisties.

Some people complain about the softer springs, but I like the softer ride - eats up road imperfections - nice smooth ride.

I also forgot to mention: TIE DOWNS. The 650R has none - and I love my cargo net (used it on EX250 all the time). The grab rails on our FZ works very well. And, I don't have to worry about any major maintenance until 25,000 miles :)

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
i posted this in a diff thread but here goes again, I had read about smoother shifting with the GSXR v the 06 FZ and that they liked the riding better with the lower handle bars. If your racing all the time thats great i guess but sometimes i like to sit up and give the geezer back a break. I have been getting used to hugigng the tank and angling out my elbows now so it feels more comfy even if it looks a little strange.

You should ride both then decide that the FZ is a better bike :)
although you may like the ergo's of the GSXR and go that route