Motorcycle 0 -- Dog 1

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cUy4jatMnA]The Dog Was Cause Of Accident [/ame]

I don't think he would have gone over the bars if he wasn't on the front brake so hard. Of course, you could probably blame the music too :D

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
That dog looks so lost right before he gets hit..Im surprised he didnt end up like the split coyote...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a little surprised peripheral vision didn't pick that up before it happened.

Also his speed was much faster than the traffic so the dog may have not been visible until too late.

Edit: And the man was the cause of the accident. The dog was exactly what he was supposed to be. The man had many more alternate choices.

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
That is why I refuse to brake for critters. I'm not going to wreck myself for any animal! Almost always better to ride through it, and deal with the aftermath, well, after. lol Also, it looks like the dog popped out of traffic from the other side, and it was night, so it was probably tough to see it, especially at speed. I'd say it was a good 50/50 split on the whole who/what was at fault. Scooter boy definitely going a bit too fast given the conditions present. Dog shouldn't have been free to race around in traffic like that. Maybe it was a stray? Meh, never was a fan of dogs anyways. lol All I know is, if I hit something and fall, the offending critter better not just prance away like nothing happened! :mad: Damn animals....:rolleyes:

EDIT : I love how the people on the sidewalk all just stand and stare at the dog as it runs away, while completely ignoring the accident that just occurred. Further evidence that people suck.

Last edited:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
A mate of mine went over a dog at about 180kmph, and stopped and went back - it was on the highway and the family and kids came out from the house to see why happened. He apologized and the parents were thankful for his compassion - which is good, because he actually split the dog into two... The kids were just balling their eyes out.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is why I refuse to brake for critters. I'm not going to wreck myself for any animal! Almost always better to ride through it, and deal with the aftermath, well, after.

The amount of speed this guy scrubbed off being as heavy on the brakes as he was is exactly why he was able to get up and be relatively uninjured.

Add another 30 or 40kph to that and he'd not be jumping to his feet....

BRO

Between Birth & Death
Reaction score
Visit site
As with everything.

We can only control our actions and not those of others. Its up to us to either ignore the possibilities of what might happen or accept that a dog, cat or even a small child could enter our path. Its the decission you make.
Time and place for everything

BRO

Between Birth & Death
Reaction score
Visit site
P.S. Please break for small children. They know not what they do.:thumbup::D

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The amount of speed this guy scrubbed off being as heavy on the brakes as he was is exactly why he was able to get up and be relatively uninjured.

Add another 30 or 40kph to that and he'd not be jumping to his feet....

I agree with this however a 550lb bike/rider would have a huge advantage in inertia over a 70 lb dog...hitting it at speed could very likely be controllable for the rider...now on a tiny scooter...this was a lose/lose situation.

Also, your insurance will be easier to deal with in a claim if the police report says "struck animal" instead of "lost control of vehicle and struck ditch/fence/house" etc.

Practicing panic braking would have helped this guy. Most riders don't brake hard until they have to...that's a terrible way to learn control!

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with this however a 550lb bike/rider would have a huge advantage in inertia over a 70 lb dog...hitting it at speed could very likely be controllable for the rider...

Umm... no. It would only be controlable if the object or animal in question was able to go under the tire easily. On a two wheeled vehicle, if the object is larger than the radius of your tire, that isn't likely. Cars can handle larger objects, but again, if the object exceeds the diameter of your tire, you're probably not going to enjoy your night.

Above those threshold sizes, the object stops acting like a bump and begins acting more and more like a wall. You don't ride "over" it, so much as "into" it. Of course momentum will ensure your continued forward travel, but physics says it will more likely be wheels up, not down.

Think about a pile of loose dirt gradually getting bigger with each pass over it. At some point you're not going to go over it anymore. Well, you might, but the bike won't.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Umm... no. It would only be controlable if the object or animal in question was able to go under the tire easily. On a two wheeled vehicle, if the object is larger than the radius of your tire, that isn't likely. Cars can handle larger objects, but again, if the object exceeds the diameter of your tire, you're probably not going to enjoy your night.

Above those threshold sizes, the object stops acting like a bump and begins acting more and more like a wall. You don't ride "over" it, so much as "into" it. Of course momentum will ensure your continued forward travel, but physics says it will more likely be wheels up, not down.

Think about a pile of loose dirt gradually getting bigger with each pass over it. At some point you're not going to go over it anymore. Well, you might, but the bike won't.

The difference is a dog is not a pile of dirt...the dog will push when struck...just like a 180 lb human would go airborne flying at a high rate of speed if struck by a small car at 45 mph. It's simply the physics of mass + inertia.

I agree it would likely be difficult to stay rubber side down but I would rather run that risk than flip my bike by applying too much brake and land on my face.

Last edited: