MotoGP PI: (SPOILERS) Mandatory bike swaps, race cut to 19 laps.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the first time in MotoGP™ history, compulsory bike changes will be required in Sunday’s Tissot Australian Grand Prix. With a new race distance of 26 laps, all riders will be required to change bikes during the race. Now 19

The change came courtesy of an announcement from Race Direction after qualifying on Saturday, with Bridgestone having announced that it is unable to guarantee the safety of its rear slick tyres beyond 14 laps. Now 10

It has therefore been decided to make the following changes to the MotoGP™ class race in the interests of safety:

1. The race distance will be 26 laps (previously scheduled to be 27) NOTE: It's now been changed to 19

2. Every rider will be required to enter the pits and change to their second machine with fresh tyres at least once during the race.

3. No rider is permitted to make more than 14 laps on any one slick rear tyre. This means that a bike/tyre change before lap 12 would require a second bike/tyre change to finish the race NOTE: This is now 10 laps

4. Riders using ‘Factory’ and ‘Satellite’ machines will be required to use the ‘hard’ option tyre (B51DR). Extra quantity will be allocated by Bridgestone

5. Riders using CRT machines will be required to use the CRT ‘hard’ option tyre (B50DR). Extra quantity will be allocated by Bridgestone

6. The pit lane speed limit zone will be extended both on entry and exit and the exit route to rejoin the track will be marked by a white line in the runoff area; crossing this line whilst rejoining the track from pit lane will result in a penalty

From MotoGP.com

Last edited:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The new surface on the PI track is destroying tires, so the Moto2 class will only run 13 laps instead of 27.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Should be exciting- I'm glad they decided to keep the full race distance. Shame they can't just pit and swap the rear tire.

Must be good news for riders who struggle with a full fuel load like Cal, and those who ride fast on cold tires like Jorge. Hopefully no-one gets hurt going out blazing on their 2nd bike.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I watched qualifying this morning and the tires were only lasting 3 to 4 laps!

Years ago I was auto x-ing on an old runway. The concrete was textured and sharp. As I was driving I could see showers of rubber coming off my front tires! The cool part was how quickly I could go. Very fun. I have a feeling PI is similar.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I wonder how the race would have turned out if the riders would have had to make the tires last the complete race?

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Even with running a very hard tire option, the heat being generated is so high that the rubber is chunking off/disintegrating.

I was watching FP4 and they showed Crutchlow's rear tire. It looked like someone to a razor blade to it.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another update, the race has now been cut to 19 laps :rolleyes:

Pit stop to change bikes has to happen in lap 9 or 10.

-----------

The change came courtesy of an announcement from Race Direction after qualifying on Saturday, with Bridgestone having announced that it is unable to guarantee the safety of its rear slick tyres beyond ten laps.

It has therefore been decided to make the following changes to the MotoGP™ class race in the interests of safety:

1. The race distance will be 19 laps (originally scheduled to be 27).

2. Every rider will be required to enter the pits and change to his second machine with fresh tyres at least once during the race. In normal circumstances this means that the rider must change machine only at the end of Lap 9 or Lap 10.

3. No rider is permitted to do more than ten laps on any one slick or wet rear tyre. This means that a bike/tyre change before Lap 9 would require a second bike/tyre change to finish the race.

4. The above procedure is valid for a dry race or a race that starts in wet conditions. Clearly in a wet race the rider will change to a bike with wet tyres.

5. If the race is started in dry conditions and it then rains the race will be stopped with a red flag. The restarted race will be for the number of laps required to complete 19 laps, but with a maximum of ten laps and a minimum of five laps.

6. Riders using ‘Factory’ and ‘Satellite’ machines will be required to use the ‘hard’ option tyre (B51DR). Extra quantity will be allocated by Bridgestone.

7. Riders using CRT machines will be required to use the CRT ‘hard’ option tyre (B50DR). Extra quantity will be allocated by Bridgestone.

8. The pit lane speed limit zone will be extended both on entry and exit and the exit route to rejoin the track will be marked by a white line in the runoff area. Crossing this line whilst rejoining the track from pit lane will result in a penalty.

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Should be exciting- I'm glad they decided to keep the full race distance. Shame they can't just pit and swap the rear tire.

Must be good news for riders who struggle with a full fuel load like Cal, and those who ride fast on cold tires like Jorge. Hopefully no-one gets hurt going out blazing on their 2nd bike.

that would take way too long. its not like a car where you just undo 1 bolt and swap a wheel. that chain-like thing is kinda in the way.....

im really hoping this is just a 1 time deal.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Can we do a spoiler on this.......:spank::(

We need time to see the race here in the ststes.:(

I hate that I know the race will be short.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, OK, next time.

But you would have known it was shortened well before the race even started. :thumbup:

They laid all of this "new rule" craziness out after the QP and were constantly arguing about it up to and through the race.

But still, if anything was ruined for you by this post, my apologies.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So who's the wally who decided what to resurface the track with? He/she has a lot to answer for, if I was paying the exorbitant prices to attend the race at PI I would be seriously peeved at having my viewing time almost halved.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is not the PI tracks fault. Every track gets resurfaced at some time.

Here's the problem:

There is only one tyre manufacturer and they, even though they were advised that the track had been resurfaced, failed to test at this track! Then they failed to take THE CORRECT tyres to the track. A tyre that cannot last 10 laps - these guys take tyres to tracks all over the world. They are the experts. Didn't hear too many riders complain about the track but they all complained about the tyres...............

I wonder where Bridgestone will hold their next track test :shakehead:

BTW, Marquez, Staring and Cudlin deserved black flags. Everyone else knew to come in on lap 9/10, but they failed to do so. By not coming in they gained an advantage on the rest of the field - lower fuel, track to themselves. It was also a safety issue with the tyres not being guaranteed past 10 laps. No one forced these guys to stay out there. They made the call.

Bring on the Twin Ring - it's gonna be a great race :):cheer:

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
Bridgestone 'claim' they where not allowed to test the track !!

They stated they are hoping to strike a deal to test there early next year for next Octobers race

I didn't like the pit stop scenario, I don't want a race to be decided on how quick you can change bikes but I totally understand why they did it.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I
BTW, Marquez, Staring and Cudlin deserved black flags. Everyone else knew to come in on lap 9/10, but they failed to do so. By not coming in they gained an advantage on the rest of the field - lower fuel, track to themselves. It was also a safety issue with the tyres not being guaranteed past 10 laps. No one forced these guys to stay out there. They made the call.

I say no.

The rules say, you may not complete more than 10 laps.

Pit lane entrance is before the completion of the 11th lap.

So, none of them completed more than 10 laps before going in to change tires according to rules.

The rules where ambiguous that is why those teams planned to go in when they did.

Marquez did not make a mistake, he went in exactly when team Honda planned for him to go in.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
that would take way too long. its not like a car where you just undo 1 bolt and swap a wheel. that chain-like thing is kinda in the way.....

im really hoping this is just a 1 time deal.

There are endurance races where they do a swap and it's pretty fast. Moto gp is just not set up for it and it would have been even more of a an effect of the times than it already was

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
There are endurance races where they do a swap and it's pretty fast. Moto gp is just not set up for it and it would have been even more of a an effect of the times than it already was

also watch the guys at the isle of mann, I think it takes around 12 seconds to do a tyre change and refuel (the speed of the petrol pumps is limited AFAIK)

can't find any evidence of that though, this is from memory

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
also watch the guys at the isle of mann, I think it takes around 12 seconds to do a tyre change and refuel (the speed of the petrol pumps is limited AFAIK)

can't find any evidence of that though, this is from memory
I always thought refueling was gravity feed only and not pressurised. This was the rule when I was a lad.

Nelly

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

Exactly! With a quick fill you can dump 5 gallons in about 7 seconds. MotoGP bikes don't have all of the hardware for the quick wheel swaps but can still be done pretty darn fast. Daytona 200 Superbike does pit stops. IIRC they are in the 12 sec range for fuel and tires at both ends.

Not sure why nearly every team got it right, but the points leader didn't. I'm certain there are some discussions going on in the Honda camp today. But, it sure makes the last two rounds a little more exciting.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly! With a quick fill you can dump 5 gallons in about 7 seconds. MotoGP bikes don't have all of the hardware for the quick wheel swaps but can still be done pretty darn fast. Daytona 200 Superbike does pit stops. IIRC they are in the 12 sec range for fuel and tires at both ends.

Not sure why nearly every team got it right, but the points leader didn't. I'm certain there are some discussions going on in the Honda camp today. But, it sure makes the last two rounds a little more exciting.

That's what I was thinking, someone at Honda is getting a flogging.