Motodynamic Integrated Tail Light

JonM

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I bought this tail light thinking it was going to be bad @ss! And it is, with one major flaw. It's not visible, unless you're staring at the tail light straight on, at eye level. Here are some pictures so you can see the light output difference depending on viewing angle.

I really would like to make this work. I'm debating between sending it back to Motodynamic, or opening it up to try do something on my own.

JonM

Reaction score
Visit site
In the mean time, I'm thinking of re-installing the OEM Tail light, and putting in some flush-mount signals in the side fairings. I'm considering either the Proton flush mounts or the Watsen Design set. Anyone have any experience with these?

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the motodynamic tail light, and I LOVE it. But I was worried about the smoke doing just what you are saying. I got the clear one. Here ya go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhylUrbgyY&list=UU_8KU8nZuJ94oedvnXPrPBg&index=2&feature=plcp]Yamaha LED demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

Also, I've had buddies following me, and they said it was nice and bright, if you stand right over it it doesn't seem bright. LED's are very directional so if you're not seeing the refraction of the LED's then it won't appear bright.

Last edited:

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
mine arrived today (also smoked) and I am going to install it next week when I have some time.
My friend had the smoked on his R6 and it was the brightest tail light I've ever seen and I loved the sequential pattern. I will post up pictures/video when I get mine installed, but yours looks wrong. I would recommend emailing motodynamic. Even the videos have it far brighter than what your is showing.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
had the same problem with mine. what I did was get the sticker LED from Autozone and splice them into the turn signal and flasher line...You can wire them in so that they come on as brake lights as well, but I didnt think of that until after :D

JonM

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the motodynamic tail light, and I LOVE it. But I was worried about the smoke doing just what you are saying. I got the clear one. Here ya go.

Yamaha LED demonstration - YouTube

Also, I've had buddies following me, and they said it was nice and bright, if you stand right over it it doesn't seem bright. LED's are very directional so if you're not seeing the refraction of the LED's then it won't appear bright.

I had a friend follow me as well, and he told me about the dead spots, where it doesnt seem to be reflecting correctly.

mine arrived today (also smoked) and I am going to install it next week when I have some time.
My friend had the smoked on his R6 and it was the brightest tail light I've ever seen and I loved the sequential pattern. I will post up pictures/video when I get mine installed, but yours looks wrong. I would recommend emailing motodynamic. Even the videos have it far brighter than what your is showing.

I loved the videos too, I think the sequential signals and the flashing brake light is a great idea. I just want people to see it. I just sent them an email with photos. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
May I ask what came in the box with yours?
I was slightly confused with my contents:
tail light
TWO wiring harnesses

I thought it only needs one?

JonM

Reaction score
Visit site
May I ask what came in the box with yours?
I was slightly confused with my contents:
tail light
TWO wiring harnesses

I thought it only needs one?

Mine came with two harnesses as well, but I only used one and everything functions perfectly, with the exception of the brightness.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a clear alternatives taillight. It was on my FZ when I bought it. My friends told me that it was hard to see during the day. I added some led signals this winter to help out.

JonM

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a clear alternatives taillight. It was on my FZ when I bought it. My friends told me that it was hard to see during the day. I added some led signals this winter to help out.

What did you use to mount your signals there? Is it just an L bracket?

Also this was the response from Motodynamic.
"Thank you for contacting us on this matter. It's just the design of this tail light to have bad visibility from side angles but it does have a sweet spot and it's more visible the further you are standing back because these LEDs are directional."

They did offer to let me return it for a full refund. Hmm.. maybe I should try the clear and see how much that improves visibility.

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
They did offer to let me return it for a full refund. Hmm.. maybe I should try the clear and see how much that improves visibility.

Yeah, you should do that. It will really help out the rest of us that haven't purchased them yet...lol. I was interested in the smoke as well, but will decide on the clear if it's brighter.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
let me just jump right in here and say I've got the smoke version and am very happy with it. My riding buddy tells me the lights are nice and bright even in daylight.

Mike213

Reaction score
Visit site
HI guys

I just did a similar mod and am having a problem i hope someone can help me with. The tail light stays lit up full bright the whole time and never gets brighter when you press the brakes. Any thoughts would be a great help. Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
HI guys

I just did a similar mod and am having a problem i hope someone can help me with. The tail light stays lit up full bright the whole time and never gets brighter when you press the brakes. Any thoughts would be a great help. Thanks

Recheck your wiring..

Yellow wire is brake light.
Blue wire is running light
Chocolate wire is left directional signal
Dark green is right directional signal
Black is ground

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently put on some clear indicator lenses with orange bulbs that look great but do Reduce the visibility slightly. I'm glad people on this forum are sensible and are thinking about these things! Is anyone here using a smoked led light with vizi tec flasher?