More invisible than usual?

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking the same, those videos are so outdated. This would make a nice replacement. It's just missing the moron in the cage talking on the cell.

Hmmm. Is that driver indeed holding a phone up to their face? :spank:

And looking again, the right shoulder was full of steel sign and reflector posts ahead of the guard rail, so no safe escape there.

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are dual low beams messing with drivers' distance perception?
Not sure from your post, did you have your high beams on?
I went all Hi-Viz when my AF base started requiring it, full obnoxious yellow jacket and helmet. At first it really seemed to cut down on the number of buttholes doing stupid things, but in the last year or so it seems to be getting worse. It may be the increasing use of smartphones, and touchscreens in cars (and God forbid, Google Glassholes and who knows what else). :(

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have read that the reason our bikes only come with one headlight on is that oncoming drivers "see" two dim lights as a car further down the road.We see what we want to see."Oh yeah,that is a car way down the road,I've got plenty of room to pullout." BANG!! I run my brights all the time.Rarely do I get flashed,if I do I dim them till it's clear then back on with the brights. Have to have "situational awareness" at all times.Just like your in combat.Because you are. Be safe. :rockon: Rich :cool: Edit:I wear a Scorpion eXo XDR Hi-Vis 3/4 length coat and silver Arai Corsair helmet. Felix, is the "Fastest" Raven Black.and yes my bike has a masculine name!Just look at a Raven FZ6 from the front,tell me it doesn't look like a cat?Turn the outside of the mirrors down and it makes it look like a mad cat!And you get a wider field of view in your mirrors!"Try it you'll like it" LOL

Last edited:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure from your post, did you have your high beams on?

High beam was off. I have two low beams running with Motogiro's relay kit installed. I think some forum members have mentioned they run with their high beam on in daylight -- yet another way to increase one's visibility. :thumbup:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
High beam was off. I have two low beams running with Motogiro's relay kit installed. I think some forum members have mentioned they run with their high beam on in daylight -- yet another way to increase one's visibility. :thumbup:

I was always bothered by have just one light on and MG's relay kit was my first mod. I often tried riding with high beam on, but would get waved by the county sheriff to turn it off. If having both lights on decreases a driver's perception of distance, so be it, that's a risk I am willing to take for the peace of mind of having both low beams illuminated. IMO.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 3 suggestions:

• Ditch the stock horn and get a Nautilus
  • Ditch the stock headlight globes and get Philips MotoVision, they put out 40% more light and have an orange halo that sets them apart from car lights
  • Ride on high beam in daylight all the time

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Icon_Mil-Spec_Mesh_Vest_Yellow_detail.jpg

Icon Mil-Spec Vest - I got one of these last October and it makes such a difference. It's amazing quality heavy weight mesh. You see cars start pulling out then stopping suddenly because they see the vest. Fun to watch cage passengers heads wobble when they are caught off guard by the drivers sudden breaking!
Only downside is people think I'm a copper so they have an annoying habbit of driving just under the speed limit infront of me - but atleast they saw me!

I have one of these for sale if anyone is interested.. size Regular (large or so) - PM Me.. $40 plus shipping?? Offers? Good shape very clean.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I think it was in the late 1990's that I saw a report on national tv about the number of motorcycle accidents where the drivers mistook the two headlights on a motorcycles for a car further away. A few years later almost all bike manufactures went back to just one low beam.

I can see how someone a little distracted could make this mistake. I myself have mistaken a car with a light out for a motorcycle.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was in the late 1990's that I saw a report on national tv about the number of motorcycle accidents where the drivers mistook the two headlights on a motorcycles for a car further away. A few years later almost all bike manufactures went back to just one low beam.

I can see how someone a little distracted could make this mistake. I myself have mistaken a car with a light out for a motorcycle.

IMO the "solution" to move to single low beam is BS- a single light/point of reference is far worse vs 2 lights narrower than a car. How can you judge speed and distance with 1 reference point? Not very well.

I have the BD43 set up with 2 Philips Motovision bulbs specifically to stand out in traffic. I also sit tall on the bike with a large fairing, white helmet, suit w/ hi-viz trim. A bonus is often cages will reduce speed and move out of the way on the highway when I come up behind.

Pullouts in front of me are infrequent- no more than when I'm in the cage.

Some look but don't see. Some see but don't care. Some don't care to look.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

This is where doing a weave clearly separates the bike from a car. If the driver is in fact looking in your direction and you're weaving, the lights won't just go from side to side.. they'll move up and down as the bike tilts side to side.

.. and the driver will still ignore you and move into your lane :rof: .. so be ready!

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I do when approaching an intersection where I can see a car trying to pull out is to do what I call a "bee dance." Do small swerves left and right to make your lights move. If they are looking for cross traffic, this will catch their attention. It helps even more if you have really bright LED auxiliary lights.

if you want a great reading about this issue you can find it here, I'm sure this will help you all assuming another perspective of the human brain with moving objects. "A Fighter Pilot’s Guide to Surviving on the Roads..."

http://www.600riders.com/forum/track-tech-and-riding-techniques/52734-fighter-pilot-s-guide-surviving-roads.html#post581964

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Icon_Mil-Spec_Mesh_Vest_Yellow_detail.jpg

Icon Mil-Spec Vest - I got one of these last October and it makes such a difference. It's amazing quality heavy weight mesh. You see cars start pulling out then stopping suddenly because they see the vest. Fun to watch cage passengers heads wobble when they are caught off guard by the drivers sudden breaking!
Only downside is people think I'm a copper so they have an annoying habbit of driving just under the speed limit infront of me - but atleast they saw me!

Haha, I have the EXACT same vest and when I ride my Victory Cruiser I look JUST like a cop and get the same thing with people going slow in front of me, hahaha.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
A headlight modulator works wonders. I had it on my old bike and my FZ6 until I converted to a HID setup. It really helps you be seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A headlight modulator works wonders. I had it on my old bike and my FZ6 until I converted to a HID setup. It really helps you be seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. I had one installed on my bike back in vegas. But many drivers also got confused. They either thought it was an emergency vehicle , which was comical since drivers as actually pulled off to the shoulder for you. Thank you very much. Or they are confused since they think you're trying to communicate. If all motorcycles came standard with one it would eventually become very useful for all.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is where doing a weave clearly separates the bike from a car. If the driver is in fact looking in your direction and you're weaving, the lights won't just go from side to side.. they'll move up and down as the bike tilts side to side.

.. and the driver will still ignore you and move into your lane :rof: .. so be ready!
We have name for the weaving technique over on this side of the pond "SMIDSY" "Sorry mate I didn't see you"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU
Tip for being seen: SMIDSY weave - St. Petersburg Motorcycles | Examiner.com

The fighter pilot article is excellent at explaining how the eyes and brain work (or don't for that matter). I have been wearing hi-vis gear for the last five years after nearly being T-Boned by someone turning across me. To be honest I used to think hi-vis gear was old man attire but since wearing it I have had less near miss incidents.
My personal recommendation is to wear hi-vis gear. My next helmet will also be a hi-vis.

Thanks for posting the video,

Nelly

Last edited: