Mods to a new 2009 FZ6N by a non-mechanical owner

alexiano

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
Just a thread for myself to document the changes I've made to my first Yamaha, and first mid-sized bike.

After 15 months on a Honda CT110 and learning the ropes, I stepped up to this bike that I fell in love with many months ago.

Months and months went by of daydreaming, researching and reading, my time came to buy a bike. Originally I didn't want to buy a brand new bike but due to minimal used FZ6 bikes in Victoria, Australia I opted for a new one.

I'm still reasonably new to motorcycling, I love to tinker with things but I'm not mechanically minded.
Here's my mini-journal of simple mods that I've done (or had done anyway).

Last edited:
Very first mod

Okay, I didn't do this first mod myself, but I'm certain I could have done it myself.
Given it was a new bike, I wanted a bit of piece of mind if/when I drop my bike to stop damage to the body of the bike.

I think oggy knobs are Australian made, but I might be wrong.

Mod #2

Since my bike is used for commuting to work, do the occasional grocery shopping and potentially getting to soccer/football training, I needed the ability to carry stuff without compromising the look of the bike.

The great thing about the ventura rack is:
- I can remove the rack completely and still retain the sporty look
- I can pull off and carry the ventura bag that comes with it.
- I can convert the rack into a sissy bar for a pillion
- When the rack is on, I can still use a sports bag with straps

The portion of the mod that I've done here, is adding some plugs to the rack to avoid water getting into tubes and causing rust. Thought they go quite well.

3rd mod

I've always been very jealous of the chunky rear wheels on bikes, and now that I had one, I didn't want anything to obscure the view of it from behind.

This mod was my first true mod was necessary to improve the visibility of the rear tyre.

Here's a rideline applied for the registration sticker, with a before and after shot.

Another Australian product
http://www.rideline.com.au/

Last edited:
Hey, Welcome by the way....

Looks like your well on your way to getting your Fizzer just how you like it!

Any plans to change much else???

Oh, and those Rideline rego tube holder thingy's are awesome! I recently purchased one myself, a quality piece of Aussie Made kit, as are the Oggy Knobs...which are made right in your home town! In fact Oggy Knobs are the original frame sliders...

:thumbup:

:welcome: You will find a great wealth of knowledge on this forum and many helpful people as well. The Search feature is your friend, use it often.

When, not if (because once you start, you get the bug!), start making changes and mods, just take your time and proceed slowly. It's your bike and you shouldn't be in a rush. Give yourself ample time to complete a project. Even if that means walking away for a break.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!

Hey, Welcome by the way....

Looks like your well on your way to getting your Fizzer just how you like it!

Any plans to change much else???

Oh, and those Rideline rego tube holder thingy's are awesome! I recently purchased one myself, a quality piece of Aussie Made kit, as are the Oggy Knobs...which are made right in your home town! In fact Oggy Knobs are the original frame sliders...

Thanks Wolfman. Your mods were awesome. How long did all that take you?

Plans are fender eliminator soon, and new exhausts down the line. They're the plans. Other things might come along.

I'd also like to get one of those contoured leather fz6 seats. Love them.

Thanks for commenting

:welcome: You will find a great wealth of knowledge on this forum and many helpful people as well. The Search feature is your friend, use it often.

When, not if (because once you start, you get the bug!), start making changes and mods, just take your time and proceed slowly. It's your bike and you shouldn't be in a rush. Give yourself ample time to complete a project. Even if that means walking away for a break.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!
Thanks 2006_FZ6. Thanks for the tip on taking time. It's difficult not to be eager about getting things done.

Thanks Wolfman. Your mods were awesome. How long did all that take you?

Plans are fender eliminator soon, and new exhausts down the line. They're the plans. Other things might come along.

I'd also like to get one of those contoured leather fz6 seats. Love them.

Thanks for commenting

Lol! How long did it take...about 2.5 years since i bought the bike...in fact, this is about the 3rd "incantation" of the bike...and it is staying like it is now...it's actually 2 FZ6's!!! Lots of an 06 FZ6N, and a bit of an O7 FZ6N with A FZ6 Cup Racing kit!

It's a long, twisted, and obsessive story! :eek:

Re your exhausts...you will get lots of opinions on which is best for the FZ6 on here...Lots! :D

As for a really decent seat, check out Bagster! From France, and their kit is top notch...you can even design our own seat...colours, height, type of material, amount of padding, etc...

I aint got on, but i would like one for my touring bike!

Not really a bike mod but...

I didn't think it was right to have tinted visor with my Honda CT110 (Postie bike) so I recently added this tinted visor to my helmet since summer is kicking in shortly.

Last edited:
I picked-up two 06 FZ6's -- one for me and one for my wife. The wife's came with Scorpion pipes, mine had stock. The power difference was noticeable, so I just finished installing Two Brothers Racing aluminum exhaust. Took two days (I work slowly) and a few mods to the bracket to get a good fit. Take the time to paint the mounting bracket black. Great reference page for the install is Boneman's site at Welcome to Boneman's FZ6 Site. I bought the TBR exhaust mostly because of this reference. Enjoy!

Hmmm.. After a little bit of reading I'm starting to regret my decision on buying oggy knobs slide protectors. Reading from some others who have had their frame damaged for an accident (moreso than a drop).

I've been reading up more about Woodcraft and R&G protectors

G'day mate, and :welcome: to the house of fun. Nice looking beastie, and it sounds like you're on your way with it:thumbup:.

Wolfman and I have been discussing the whole frame slider issue, and both agree that with the old tubular frames, they worked nearly all the time, but with the cast ally delta box frame they are sort of "inset" into the frame and the frame is brittle, and prone to cracking.

More than likely they will help you in a driveway drop, but anything else....well.....there are a lot of cases where they make things possibly worse.

I know for the FZ1 there are a number of cages available. I've seen one on here for an FZ6 from Russia if I remember correctly. Might be worth looking into if you are really concerned. Also, a nice looking cage is actually an accessory:rockon:.

Ahh. Here it is.:thumbup:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/28269-russia-love.html

Thanks for the info ozzieboy. The cage looks pretty good. Will do some more reading and homework in the meantime. Appreciate you finding the russian cage thread.

Well, tried to undo Wolfman's right hand side slider after a low speed off, and I could only turn it about 2 degrees until the bent bolt and distorted spacer pressed into the frame. Had to straighten it before removal. Any more force and it would have damaged the frame.

The other thing is, that the right hand side one is shorter than the left one, and the Pickup Rotor cover, always seems to get mashed, so Just like the FZ6 cup bike he bought, we made sure his black beast had a longer one on the right.This stopped the cover from getting mashed. And no, the extra length wouldn't have made much difference....I've seen too many of the right length ones bent to believe that.

The more thought I give to it the more I believe the cage is a better option, for the cast ally, delta box frame. They have a knob, but it is braced, at 2 other points usually, and the cage will bend to absorb some more of the shock, and then it will slide on the slider, and tubing of the cage, instead of the engine covers....probably less chance of digging in too.

These are just my thoughts and observations though. I could be wrong, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it'll probably taste pretty good:confused:....or something. (never was much good at old jungle proverbs):BLAA:

3cf22e1e-a8e0-f4ec.jpg

3cf22e1e-a966-d5ae.jpg

Bought myself this seat and waiting for it to be shipped. Found it from someone who was selling their fz6 (same color an model as mine)

It's a custom seat made for a shorter person so I hope I get more foot on the ground

3cf22e1e-a8e0-f4ec.jpg

3cf22e1e-a966-d5ae.jpg

Bought myself this seat and waiting for it to be shipped. Found it from someone who was selling their fz6 (same color an model as mine)

It's a custom seat made for a shorter person so I hope I get more foot on the ground

Looks like it has had a fair bit of the OEM padding taken out of it...i hope they did it properly, if it works, then that's awesome, if it's a plank, and feels like your riding on a wooden bench, you night rue your choice....worse comes to worse, you will still have your OEM seat...

Good luck!

Looks like it has had a fair bit of the OEM padding taken out of it...i hope they did it properly, if it works, then that's awesome, if it's a plank, and feels like your riding on a wooden bench, you night rue your choice....worse comes to worse, you will still have your OEM seat...

Good luck!

I'm getting more comfortable with my seat, and certain that the bike will settle down a bit since it's brand new. Not sure if it's a physical change or whether I'm just getting more used to the bike.

The current owner took photos of her sitting with both and reckons it gives her a couple of cms back which is about what I need. And spot on your last comment. Couldn't bare to change my original seat.

Back