Modifying stock top clamp for clip-ons!

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
What's up guys! So I've been changin up just about everything I can on the bike, and next on the list is getting rid of the ugly and uncomfortable top clamp/handlebars. :ban:

Personally, I've always loved the look of clip-ons, but I've never much liked the ergos that came along with them. When I got my first FZ6 3 years ago I loved the stock bars, but now I always find myself leaning forward on bent arms for a sportier position. Unfortunately, this is not comfortable at all, and with arms as long as mine, not the best position for riding.

So, seeing as there are no aftermarket options for topclamps short of having one custom made, or doing an R6/R1 fork swap, I've decided to just mod a stock top clamp. I've also just ordered a pair of Blackbird CBR1100XX clipons. I've heard they're the ones to go with, and everyone seems happy. Literally won an auction for a perfect condition set at $60 shipped 5 minutes ago! :rockon:

Here are some pics of my progress!

WP_000257.jpg

WP_000258.jpg

WP_000260.jpg

WP_000261.jpg

WP_000265.jpg

WP_000270.jpg

WP_000271.jpg

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
WP_000276.jpg

The clip-ons.

clips.jpg

This is what the grinding wheel looked like when I was done right next to a new one! :eek: haha, Good ol' Deremel!

WP_000255.jpg

When I get everything ground down and smoothed out I'm gonna have everything powdercoated black to match the frame. Silver?? Psh... :Flip:

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited: