Missing a screw...for the tank

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed that one of the two at the top of the fuel tank, the ones holding it in place up front, is missing. Must have not been on tight enough and came off during a ride.

I have already been to many store trying to match up and replace it, with no success. I have searched onli e to but I guess I don't know exactly what to look for.

Where do I go to get that screw?... (that's what she said)

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure it's a 6mm x about 25mm long Hex head. Any half decent hardware store should have them. I lost both mine. I reckon I forgot to put them back in after doing some mods, now I can't find them. Was riding for about 4 weeks without them. They don't have to be precise (the 6mm thread does), just as long as they're both the same.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
This topic was up sometime last summer as well.

The bolts are M6 bolts with 1.0 mm threads and a hexagonal head if I remember correctly. The length of the threaded part is about 1.5 centimeters. You could always try using locking washers to keep the bolts from unscrewing themselves due to vibration.

They should be fastened with 7 Nm (0.7 m*kg, 5.1 ft*lb) torque.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This topic was up sometime last summer as well.

The bolts are M6 bolts with 1.0 mm threads and a hexagonal head if I remember correctly. The length of the threaded part is about 1.5 centimeters. You could always try using locking washers to keep the bolts from unscrewing themselves due to vibration.

They should be fastened with 7 Nm (0.7 m*kg, 5.1 ft*lb) torque.

+1 on the above..

You could also pull out your remaining bolt and bring it to the store to match up.

I'd pick up 2 SS bolt's myself. An allen head bolt would work fine as well (with a flat washer and lock washer)

BTW, I have SS allen head bolts with a large flat SS washer securing my tank on my 07...

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had two vibrate out. Others are right, you can order the replacement parts at a Yamaha dealer, or, simply replace them with bolts from a hardware store. Be sure to tighten them occasionally going forward.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks I will just try try again. I Have brought the other one in to different shops and thought I matched up well enough but....well I guess I just don't have an eye for bolt threading.

Thanks for the help. I tried searching for any thread on this that may have already been posted...again I guess I didn't search well enough.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
I bought these for my bike

Fuel Cap Surround Bolt Kit - Pro-Bolt - Titanium, Stainless Steel, Aluminium Fasteners & Motorcycle Bolts

image.php