Minor speeding (probably a re-post)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am talking long, straight roads. Clear vision for miles. No trees/shrubs at the side of the road. No wildlife that you can't see ahead. Pretty much the desert. No speed limit and a feeling of freedom.
There are many roads like that if you are riding around Australia. 65mph, no thanks...

BTW, I think he IS serious about limiters......

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
How far apart would the Petrol stations be? I like the idea of no speed limit (Just like the mountain section on the IOM). You would have to be pretty good at judging how much gas was needed between stops. Bloody long walk in leathers.
Nelly

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always wanted to drive like a nutcase......yet for some reason I havent :rolleyes:

same here :rockon: a quick jolt here and there is all I ever do. I have driven cars in my younger days at speeds over 150 mph, but have zero interest doing it on any bike. I guess he is saying that it was him mom riding the bike :rolleyes:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think a lot of bikes have exceeded speed limits, but most hopefully do it on safe empty stretches of road

i wouldn't be stupid enough to record myself doing this though..

one of the reasons i've taken up track riding is it's much safer and no risk to my licence :D

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
This dude has more than a few screws loose. I think I speak for most of us when I say it is fun to drive fast at times. It is certainly one of the draws of owning a motorcycle. But driving like that is simply wreckless and shows a complete disregard for his own life as well as other fellow drivers. I cant even imagine going down at 300kph/180mph....

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycles/cars, it is the rider/driver responsibility to control the speed as well as to make sure the vehicle is not used by somebody that should not use it (of course unless it is stolen), this includes not old enough, not capable or not properly trained, not responsible, etc.

There are many tracks where you can sign up to learn and ride/drive fast.
Excessive speeds are not for the roads.

Just yesterday there were two bikers that went over the double yellow lines speeding considerably just to overtake a group of 3 cars and two bikes (including myself and a friend) going the speed limit on a residential area!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How far apart would the Petrol stations be? I like the idea of no speed limit (Just like the mountain section on the IOM). You would have to be pretty good at judging how much gas was needed between stops. Bloody long walk in leathers.
Nelly
Well, you'd need a jerry can with you, that's for sure!.

When we drove across the Nullabor last year in the commodore, we were low on fuel between one station to the next.

You have to remember, some of our cattle stations alone are huge! One, in South Australia is 6 million square acres :eek: And that's a private property ......

GPS, water, satellite phone and jerry can - essential travel equipment

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry Kazza, that is incorrect.

The highest speed limit in Australia is 130kph is some areas in the NT, otherwise the highest speed limit you can drive at is 110kph on 'special' stretches of highway/freeway or 100kph on other out of town areas.

I do agree, however, that bikes should not be speed limited - or perhaps they should only be speed limited to 150kph or so.

But, having said that, there are indeed times when that extra speed is needed for safety etc. (blow past a truck with a delaminating tyre or other hazard)
NT is remote to me :)

Seriously, middle of the bush, 110km/h?

No way ..........

Ask Wolfman about the speed limits when we rode down to Bothwell in Tasmania :eek:............

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NT is remote to me :)

Seriously, middle of the bush, 110km/h?

No way ..........

Ask Wolfman about the speed limits when we rode down to Bothwell in Tasmania :eek:............

I'm not questioning ones ability to safely do those speeds far outback (except for Skippy...), but the highest legal speed in Australia is 130kph in some areas of the NT.

When I drove my mother's car from Melbourne to Rockhampton via the inland route, you most definitely could have done anything up to 200kph safely in most places - or what about the Hay Plain coming from West Wyalong?

You can see the road goes straight to the horizon for hundreds of kilometres - again, except for livestock or Skippy, massive speeds are possible (and would make it much less boring)

But, speed limits are set for the lowest common denominator. (i.e. learners, the aged etc)

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love when these vids get posted,
I can see what its like to go at that break neck speed and get an idea of the limited reaction times that Rick mentions.
Its edge of the seat viewing and when I get on my bike, I think how much would it hurt to have come off at the ridiculous speeds that I have been watching.( I guess that is if you ever had the chance to feel the pain, probably not in reality)

That splitting was amazing, I kept waiting for the touch and the roll and the fade to black, credits, obituary, warning.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For reference, please look here (this is not the only place, you'll see this info mirrored on other various sites)

As I said, I'm not questioning ones ability to do it - when I drove down from Rockhampton to Adelaide, 2430kms took me 24hrs 15mins.

In that case, I might have accidentally leant a little on the wrong side of the speed limit, but I maintain it was safe to do, (I stopped for fuel only), and indeed was probably safer than taking an hour or longer extra to obey the speed limits exactly. (oh, and a 15min break every 2hrs? Pffft!)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised he's lasted long enough to get 25 violations with that style riding in congested traffic. He's been very, very lucky however it'll catch up with him sooner or later... One lane change form another vehicle and he's done..

I've done 144 MPH (the fastest ever for myself) on my FJR, but that was on the interstate, a straight run (nice flat Florida), no on/off ramps, a 200' median with divider and no other cars around for just a very short distance...

Probably not the smartest move, but the safest if you need to see what the bike will do..