Mid-Night, Red Light, What a Fright!

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
So it was midnight and I was getting off the highway and at the end of the exit ramp is a traffic light, a left and right turn, and straight ahead an on ramp to get back on the highway.

I proceeded on the exit ramp going roughly 30-40 mph. I applied the front brake and rear brake and pulled in the clutch to down shift. Then noticed i really wasn't slowing down. It was a red light at the end and I just saw a car go by. i applied the front a little harder and nothing. Applied a lil harder to the rear. Locked the tire and started to slide the rear tire. and it was weaving behind me. kept handlebars straight and let off the clutch little by little to possibly slow down with engine braking. worked good enough to get me going from a good 30 - 40 mph to a 10 - 15 mph. still not stopping quick enough though.. looked to my left and right as i was under the traffic light. saw no cars... let off the rear brake lightly.. popped it into 1st and just accelerated up the on ramp back on the highway..

It was very frightening to say the least... so got home.. checked the front brake.. noticed that the bleed screw had a lil fluid coming out...

Important lesson to learn.. make sure all bolts are tight... and Always do a pre-ride check...

I'll be cleaning my bike tomorrow.. a very good wash.. will be checking everything as well...

Hope this helps someone in the long run...

W

wrightme43

It must be rebled now.

Always always always with the pre check.

Treat it like a airplane. Just cause it worked when you parked it doesnt mean it works now.

Bummer on the scare man, had there been a car.....

Glad your ok and learned from it.

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Rebleed them.. checked the master cylinder and there was enough fluid.. just added a bit more.. what i think really happened was just a little fluid got on the brake pads..
so i washed them today.. and did some emergency braking on my street for like 30 mins

All is good now..

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I wasn't sure what Ant was talking about, so I did a little digging.

Yesterday you posted about taking a blowtorch to one of your front brake calipers. http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-wanted/19420-front-right-brake-caliper-assistance.html

Today you had a front brake failure.

I can only assume that you rode the bike with the same caliper that you heated. If you did swap the caliper, then please correct me.

I'm not going to mince words. That was incredibly stupid. You have got to treat the bike, and yourself, with more respect, or it will be the end for both of you.

Please, replace that caliper before you ride the bike again. You have heated the rubber seals inside it, and it is ruined.

My FZ6 is parked for the week because of a broken caliper bolt. I could bodge it, but brakes are too important to mess around with.

Ride safe.

Fred

Last edited:

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright...

Receiving caliper from forum member. Bike is parked and waiting for replacement. Going on vacation for the next week so i'll sure be missing the bike but, at least enjoying the beaches.

Thanks for the strict comments, sometimes it might just take a few of those to think a little bit more for the next time.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
First bike and 19 years old you are entitled to a few mistakes, just be careful as the payment for mistakes on a motorcycle can cost a bit more than some other types of mistakes. I won't throw stones If I look back to 19 I would probably not even post some of the dumb ass things I have done. Good luck with it, have fun and be safe!