Melted RPM needle base

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished a couple thousand miles touring and noticed that somewhere in New Mexico, the black RPM circular needle base was slightly melted.

This may have been caused by the aftermarket wind-screen (California Scientific) and perhaps parking at a slight angle that allowed the sun to focus intensely in one area. I have heard about this problem on other bikes as well when people use an aftermarket windscreen sometimes.

I may cover the RPM gauge with a cloth if I park for an extended period in the sun again.

Fred

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Crap!, I have a Cee Bailey 24" and live in New Mexico. I usually throw my jacket over the dash(?) Don't know why I do this but I think it's because I've read other posts of aftermarket screens burning stuff up?! It gets hot here and NO HUMIDITY at all for about 300 days a year.

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished a couple thousand miles touring and noticed that somewhere in New Mexico, the black RPM circular needle base was slightly melted.

This may have been caused by the aftermarket wind-screen (California Scientific) and perhaps parking at a slight angle that allowed the sun to focus intensely in one area. I have heard about this problem on other bikes as well when people use an aftermarket windscreen sometimes.

I may cover the RPM gauge with a cloth if I park for an extended period in the sun again.

Fred

I hope the cloth doesn't catch on fire if you just cover the gage. Covering the windscreen itself would be better IMHO. Or, just use some vinyl stickers or something placed strategically on the screen to break the magnifying glass effect.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. A few of us will be in the desert this Sat. Hopefully it won't be that hot but if we stop and hang out.....

Cliff

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope the cloth doesn't catch on fire if you just cover the gage. Covering the windscreen itself would be better IMHO. Or, just use some vinyl stickers or something placed strategically on the screen to break the magnifying glass effect.

The CalSci came with a cloth cover, but it is loose. With some spandex attachment, I could make it stay on despite the wind. It would look something like this...

tulsaw1.jpg

BTW, I would use a flame retardent material when covering the gauges.

Fred

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a disclaimer that PUIG places on their aftermarket windscreen. It sais that their windscreen may cause parts of the instrument panel to melt due to the direct sunlight. That is why I always tuck my gloves between the windscreen and the instrument panels and use it as a cover so it won't melt. Here in Vegas, the sun shines everyday, and it gets scorching hot here during the summer. No one has ever stolen my gloves.