MCN: Yamaha planning 'crossplane' dynasty

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally some more info on Yamaha's plans with crossplane and triple cylinder engine designs:

Yamaha planning 'crossplane' dynasty

By MCN -

General news

13 May 2013 12:30

As well as its promised ‘crossplane’ three-cylinder engine Yamaha is preparing a -parallel-twin and further variations on the R1’s four-cylinder crossplane motor to create an entire family of characterful new motors.

With its three-cylinder concept engine, revealed at last autumn’s round of bike shows, Yamaha’s intention was to carry over the “character of the crossplane concept featured on the M1 and R1 engines” and create an engine that markedly differentiated itself from the horde of inline-four-cylinder rivals.

To add to that differentiation, the production version of the engine will carry its own name and logo: ‘CP3’.

Documents lodged with trademark offices in Europe, America and Australia all match, with Yamaha applying for the ‘CP3’ trademark to apply to “engines for motorcycles”. It doesn’t take a huge leap to work out that the initials stand for “Cross Plane Triple”.​

Full article:
Yamaha planning 'crossplane' dynasty - | Motorcycle News | Bike News | Motorbike Videos | MCN

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the market to get a new ride sometime this year... waiting to see what Yamaha end up doing with the FZ1 that is 3 years past of a overdue update.

Jessman23

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2010 R1 with the crossplane. It was a great motor with ridiculous throttle response and great power. It was amazing for twisties or just going down the highway. But it was the worst ever to live with and trying to drive it through the city is terrible. And with the firing order and the compression they have, cold weather starts are nearly impossible. I had nothing but problems until it warmed up past 70 degrees. Then when it got too hot out, it would act up again. I would not recommend if you plan to ride in cooler weather or in the city. My honest opinion since I had it for 3 years putting about 10k miles on one.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2010 R1 with the crossplane. It was a great motor with ridiculous throttle response and great power. It was amazing for twisties or just going down the highway. But it was the worst ever to live with and trying to drive it through the city is terrible. And with the firing order and the compression they have, cold weather starts are nearly impossible. I had nothing but problems until it warmed up past 70 degrees. Then when it got too hot out, it would act up again. I would not recommend if you plan to ride in cooler weather or in the city. My honest opinion since I had it for 3 years putting about 10k miles on one.

I had the 09 crossplane crank (I binned the bike) had 15,000 on it never had a problem starting it (I live in SoCal) I would ride it in the desert 110 deg. and no problem starting. The bike is set up with tall gearing and for good reason. These motors make torque. That's why it's not an urban assault vehicle. It loves the open roads and twisties. It's not just the sound of the motor but it's low end grunt that will stir you! :BLAA: Fun Fun motors!!! :D

There is more to the experience of a crossplane as it translates to your right hand. Less torque interference from the motor during on/off throttle etc.

If they do the FZ1 with that motor. I will be on it like a duck on a June bug!!!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm definitely interested in a "CP3". Smooth, linear power delivery, torque from low-down would make the Fazer line-up more street friendly vs. the race derived engines that are being phased out.

Yamaha know they will be immediately compared to Triumph so you know they'll have something good. Sprint ST dyno:

07_triumph_sprint_st_dyno.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit behind here, what do they mean when they say 'crossplane'?

I think this video helps explain it pretty good.
In 2009 Yamaha R1 had an engine change to the crossplane crank, uneven firing order. Much higher torque early on. Much better throttle to rear wheel response.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myfp2sUducE&feature=endscreen&NR=1]Yamaha R1 'big bang' - YouTube[/ame]

and the sound!!!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyUWHozAvM]2009 Yamaha R1 on TBR Dyno - YouTube[/ame]

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the market to get a new ride sometime this year... waiting to see what Yamaha end up doing with the FZ1 that is 3 years past of a overdue update.

I doubt they will do anything other than pop the left over R1 crossplane 4 engines into a slighlty different frame or go to a naked look