Mayweather vs. Ortiz: What has boxing come to?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I haven't watched boxing in years. I have become more of an MMA fan. Tonight I bought the Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight, since Ortiz is a hometown boy going up against a supposed legend.

All I can say is, I will probably never watch boxing again after seeing Mayweather sucker punch Ortiz in the 4th round.

Ortiz had just head butted Mayweather, the ref stopped the fight to warn Ortiz about head butting, Mayweather and Ortiz approach each other in the center of the ring, Ortiz apologizes, they hug, the ref is turned away, as soon as the hug is over Ortiz starts to step back from the hug with his hands at his side and Mayweather hits him with a left followed by a right that knocks Ortiz to the ground.

Official ending, Mayweather wins by TKO because a boxer is supposed to protect themselves at all times in the ring.

No wonder why I stopped watching boxing, this is right up there with Tyson biting Holyfield's ear. There just doesn't seem to be a grasp of good sportmanship in boxing today.

As for me, I will stick with MMA, where hardwork, good sportsmanship and respect for your opponent still seems to be alive and well.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't watched boxing in years. I have become more of an MMA fan. Tonight I bought the Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight, since Ortiz is a hometown boy going up against a supposed legend.

All I can say is, I will probably never watch boxing again after seeing Mayweather sucker punch Ortiz in the 4th round.

Ortiz had just head butted Mayweather, the ref stopped the fight to warn Ortiz about head butting, Mayweather and Ortiz approach each other in the center of the ring, Ortiz apologizes, they hug, the ref is turned away, as soon as the hug is over Ortiz starts to step back from the hug with his hands at his side and Mayweather hits him with a left followed by a right that knocks Ortiz to the ground.

Official ending, Mayweather wins by TKO because a boxer is supposed to protect themselves at all times in the ring.

No wonder why I stopped watching boxing, this is right up there with Tyson biting Holyfield's ear. There just doesn't seem to be a grasp of good sportmanship in boxing today.

As for me, I will stick with MMA, where hardwork, good sportsmanship and respect for your opponent still seems to be alive and well.

Yeah after the left it looked like Ortiz looked at the ref for instruction and then came the right. Both punches were totally unprotected. It seemed like more of a street fight than boxing. The last call I saw was the ref signalling "T" out. I think although Mayweather was doing great point wise he was in trouble with Ortiz even though I thought Mayweather got inside Otiz's head for a bit.
I think I'm going back to mud or jello wrestling! :eek::D:BLAA:

Last edited:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site

Agreed :rockon:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Ok, I have had a night to sleep on it. The 3 preliminary fights were good, fair, and the boxers showed alot of sportsmanship and respect. Most boxers I am sure are hardworking and respectful.

Having done some kickboxing in my youth I know what goes into prepping for a fight, I also know that good sportsmanship and respect for your opponent are paramount, if you win, you want to have earned it, if you lose, you want it to have been to a worthy opponent.

My frustration for last nights fight is simple. I payed good money to see a good fight between Mayweather and Ortiz. Ortiz dissapointed with a headbutt, Mayweather completely shocked and frustrated me with a sucker punch victory.

I quit buying PPV for boxing during Tyson's day, paying good money to watch a 15 second knockout didn't make good financial sense. This was my first foray back into Boxing PPV, and the main event was a dissapointment.

I won't be buying anymore Boxing PPV :(