Manitinence

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had the bike since 2005.. working on the ten year plan!! but for maintenance, I think I have done good, but there is definitively room for improvement. I don't recall the exact millage as the bike sleeps at the parents house for the winter (trickle charger and in a secure garage, Thanks Mom and Dad) but i do believe that it is around 24,000 miles. not bragging, but its a good amount so far.. bought with 0.0 and only a few others have put maybe 10 miles total.. the only time it sees a mechanic is if there is something wrong (1 time since ownership, front wheel weight fell off) is when it needs tires. Everything else I take care of and I am not the worlds best mechanic. I had a friend show me how to properly use a torque wrench and the rest is reading the Tech Manual.. Thought I would share my maint list so far.

maint_zpsacc30232.png

observations:

1. It took about 4.5 years till I had to change the air filter. Bike did not seem to run different after i changed it with a new oem one.

2. I am pretty good about changing the oil every 3k miles. I know i could probably go longer, but its cool with me. edit: Apparently I do use a semi synthetic. its ActEvo X-Tra 4T Semi-Synthetic 4-Stroke Motor Oil from cycle gear. I have used it for every oil change. No complaints!!

3. I have never changed the spark plugs. bad I know, but the bike runs strong!! I even have a extra set that are at least 3-4 years old. bad..

4. Tires seem to last around 8500 miles unless you hit a nail..

5. Coolant is not that difficult to change and I will be following the every 2-3 year rule now going forward. Its not that expensive either.

6. Batteries last a long time if cared for properly. I do nothing but plug it in with a trickle charger on a timer so it comes on for a few hours a day during the winter. very little maint!!

7. I have over 23k miles and I have never changed the oem break pads. I will probably replace them mid season this year only due to age (prolly should have changed them every 5 years or such) but really they look fine.. Few months into the season I had to have the tires changed (21k ish) and the tech said they looked fine still. said may be 2 years..

8. Washing and Waxing (and that includes the headlights and screen) at least once every 2 months during the season really helps keep the bike new looking. I get at least 10 people a year asking me if this is a new / newer bike. Most don't believe me when I tell them its an 2005 :thumbup:

IMG_0558_zpsf8022704.jpg

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff!
At this point (age and miles), I would do plugs, TB sync and I'd think about replacing brake lines.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! As we are getting to about that milage I can say I am thinking about going many little things. But I would say you have done right so far! Keep up the good work!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk