Maintenance Performed and a Mystery Part...

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I just finished up a major tune-up on my new (used) 2008 FZ6 at 8700 miles. Based on the shop rate of $75 an hour, I saved about $1875 (though I am sure they may have been able to do it faster, it was still a large saving). I lubed the swingarm, steering head, changed the tires, repacked the wheel bearings, changed the sparkplugs, polished the headers, installed heated gear/battery tender leads, installed a K&N air filter, changed the sprockets and chain, changed the oil and filter, and removed tiny spots of corrosion. :cheer:

I got 520 sprockets and chain (in black) with stock gearing. It has a little of the 5000 rpm buzz now (it was ultra smooth), but that may have been due to removing/reinstalling the exhaust or maybe the oil? It is not enough to worry about now. I also installed some Dynamat under the sprocket cover and it really quieted it down (even compared to the stock sprockets). :thumbup:

The only thing I would like is to have the radiator sides and rearsets black, but I don't like painted things. I also have some Motivation Frame Sliders, but can't decide whether to put them on...I am not a fan of the look, but somewhere about the middle of all this maintenance, she decided to take a nap on me :rolleyes: and I can see the benefit of the sliders (thankfully I had the tank off and the only thing that touched down was the frame bolthead...the mirror, signal and footpeg moved out of the way with their hinges and the brake pedal only bent a little).

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone knows where this little piece goes :eek: :confused:. While figuring out the sparkplugs, I got the socket stuck in one of the chambers :banghead:, so I pulled the airbox and battery and lifted the rubber barrier to get at it (it was easier to do the plugs this way anyway, but don't forget to unscrew the little top off the sparkplug or you too can do them twice :thumbdown:). During that time, this piece showed up on the floor. What is it? The bike runs great, but I would like to put it back if possible...:popcorn:

IMG_0157.jpg

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
That there is the delta-box tri-valve.

Nope, it's the flux capacitor. Some people just don't know electronics at all.

It's what allows the ECU to adjust the spark on the fly if it senses the spark is too hot or too weak. You know generates flux.

Of course, it also states in the manual not to drive 88 for extended periods if your clock is off... :don'tknow:

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
The delta box tri-valve was pretty convincing! but I haven't had trouble with the connuter valve or the flux capacitor :)

Here is a picture with size for reference...that is part of why I couldn't figure it out as it is very small...It does seem like an air system part?

IMG_0159.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The delta box tri-valve was pretty convincing! but I haven't had trouble with the connuter valve or the flux capacitor :)

Here is a picture with size for reference...that is part of why I couldn't figure it out as it is very small...It does seem like an air system part?

IMG_0159.jpg
Is it defo from the bike? Could it have been on the floor when you started.
I have had my tank off and battery out a few times. I can't recall seeing that part.

Nelly

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a Blind plug. goes into the cast frame. It may have not been installed properly and when you were in there, where ever it was sitting, it fell out.
There are 2 of these and they're probably some kind of plugs for vent holes in the frame to let any moisture out as the casting warms and cool from engine heat.

Check out part #11 in this diagram of the frame. Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2008>FZ6>FRAME

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site

It usually doesn't, but when my chief asked me what I needed to fix the SPS-55 radar I told him I needed a magnetron (real part of a radar) and he thought I was BSing him. He was ready for a knock down fight about it. So I told him that he was right, way too smart for that. I needed a flux capacitor.

My LPO made up a part number for him to run it all the way up to the Supply Officer. Everyone along the way played along until the $20,000 part request made it to the captain who was not going to approve the request for what turned out to be a lot of .50cal machine guns. Lol.

So I just have to keep trying. I even told chief that the flux capictor is the reason the ship can't go 88 miles an hour. It would break if the ship went that fast.

Sometimes you just work for retards. But since everyone from the XO down was in on it, he couldn't be pissed at just me. Although he gave me a hard time later when I told him I needed a thyratron (another real part of a radar).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It usually doesn't, but when my chief asked me what I needed to fix the SPS-55 radar I told him I needed a magnetron (real part of a radar) and he thought I was BSing him. He was ready for a knock down fight about it. So I told him that he was right, way too smart for that. I needed a flux capacitor.

My LPO made up a part number for him to run it all the way up to the Supply Officer. Everyone along the way played along until the $20,000 part request made it to the captain who was not going to approve the request for what turned out to be a lot of .50cal machine guns. Lol.

So I just have to keep trying. I even told chief that the flux capictor is the reason the ship can't go 88 miles an hour. It would break if the ship went that fast.

Sometimes you just work for retards. But since everyone from the XO down was in on it, he couldn't be pissed at just me. Although he gave me a hard time later when I told him I needed a thyratron (another real part of a radar).

He's lucky it wasn't a Reflex Klystron (real part pre-magnetron) you needed! :BLAA:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

a traveling wave tube would have been very apt for the navy :BLAA:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
He's lucky it wasn't a Reflex Klystron (real part pre-magnetron) you needed! :BLAA:

Yeah, the SPS-49 still uses those. He didn't belive Smith when he said that either. What can you do?

Then cheif started playing with it when it came in. "It looks like a dong! Lol" He procedes to walk around with it on his crotch.

"Umm... Chief?"

"What"

"Notice how that's warm?"

"Yeah."

"It ain't from sitting in the sun..."

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry :spank::eek:
Could this thread be any more hijacked lol.
Bloody lonesoilder:BLAA:, posts up a smart reply and then bugger's off to wait for the fireworks lol.
At least the problem part has been identified.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Motogiro! :bow: I guess I'll wait until I lift the tank for installing a GPS lead and put it back then...
I don't know how but the system works. You got your answer in the end.
Kudos for all the work you carried out.

Nelly