Made my own, smaller screen

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Waddaya think?

I'm not sure yet, whether I want to keep the original, or replace it with the shorter one...:confused:

The process was quite simple. Used the original screen as a template on top of a 1,5 mm poly-carbonate plastic sheet. I cut out the shape using a Dremel (which is a necessity!) and cut down the screen to the size I wanted.

08062010259.jpg

When that was done, I wet sanded it and painted it black. When the paint was dry, I wet sanded it once more, and rubbed it to get a matte finish.

This kind of plastic is very flexible, and it's perfect for this type of application.

All in all, the end result isn't too bad. I'm just not sure if this ended up being better than having the original screen.

New screen:

09062010261.jpg

09062010262.jpg

09062010260.jpg

Original screen:

06052010253.jpg

06052010251.jpg

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. If it were me I would take both out on the highway, one right after the other, and see which way you prefer the air flow. Both look good.

uclajoebruin

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. If it were me I would take both out on the highway, one right after the other, and see which way you prefer the air flow. Both look good.

I agree, I think they both look good, though I think I like the shorter one better myself. The difference in curves will probably make a big difference in wind flow, so it may be worth checking that out.

Nice job. :thumbup:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, then. I put the original screen back on. I kind of agree with Chris here; the sweeping shape does something to the overall look of the bike. Since that's lacking on the plastic screen, I will just scrap it.

However, I have another plan. I could just lower the whole headlight assembly by a few cm's. By doing that, the instrument cluster will follow, which in turn won't give me issues with clearance etc. Another option is of course trying to move the headlight and fairing a bit forward, away from the cluster. That way, it should be possible to sweep the screen even more. Problem is that the screen is quite rigid (aluminium).