Lowering the FZ?

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I've been looking into the possibility of lowering my bike about an inch. Hyper Pro sells a lowering kit (front and back) for $280 USD-- which is more than I'd want to spend on that mod alone, but I was also looking into doing the whole clip on bar thing... I really like what bertmoog did in this thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/6858-clip-ons-triple-clamps.html

My understanding is that to mount the clip ons you have to lower the front of the bike by about an inch anyway... and that having just the front lowered alters the geometry of the bike/will make bad things happen. But what if I lowered the front with clip ons, and lowered the back with a Hyper Pro lowering spring...??Hyper Pro USA - Catalog ($120 USD) Their "rising rate" springs are supposed to perform better than stock too...

Theoretically it wouldn't alter the geometry of the bike much, if any, as long as the front and back are lowered evenly, right? So if I dropped the front and back by 30MM it shouldn't change the handling?

That sickly pinkish-purple spring would never do though... that would be a trip to the local powdercoating shop for sure! :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

BELGICAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Have the same dilemma here, I stand only 5"5' in height and already on tip toe when I stand when I'm on my bike, what adjustments I can do in the absence of any lowering kits.

Many thanks in advance.

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, I just feel like the bike sits a little to high/has a high center of gravity. Maybe that's just me. The height of the bike because really apparent whenever I'm parked next to a full fairing super sport... I'm not that short (like 5'9"), my feet sit flat on the ground as is, I just feel like it would handle a little better if it were lowered. I also want the clip ons for that reason-- I feel like I would have more control in cornering if the bars were lower...

Is that stupid? :eek:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 5`9" tall and have the Yamaha lowered FZ6 seat, which is not available in the USA. It makes the bike feel as though it actually belongs to me and is 200% more comfortable than the stock seat.

Anyway...you can`t have one BUT there is a solution.

A new member posted some pics of his bike the other day and the seat he has was made in the states and is just what you want.

Looks at the pics and then send him a message if you need more details.

The seat and the bike look great.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/9685-new-forum-like-say-hi-some-pictures.html

The other option is to search for Bagster seats. They have outlets in the states and can make seats as low as you want.

I think both options are probably cheaper and most certaily easier than lowering the bike.

I hope this helps some of you.

Steve

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I fitted a lowering spring to my 07. Dropped the forks through the front yoke by 8mm as per instructions.

Two notes of caution:

1. This changes the geometry of the bike. The wheel base is shorter & the COG is lower. If you don't think this matters, wait til you tip it into the first serious bend after you've done the mod. Take spare underwear.

I'm not saying that it affects the handling in a bad way, but it becomes fierce on turn in. I've since found out that some sportsbike / track day fans drop the front yoke 10mm for that very reason to increase turn in speed.

2. Adjust your side stand length by the same amout as the new spring drops the bike. Failure to do so will cause your bike to fall over. You'll need a fabricating shop or a mate with some welding gear to do this.

Also, once you have fitted the new shock, the bike is an absolute bugger to get on the main stand. It's just a matter of physics, you've still got the same amout of leverage from the main stand kick peg, but you have to raise the bike that additional 25/30 mm.

Having said all this; I feel much safer happier on the bike now. And even with a 29" inside leg can reach the floor flat foot .

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fitted a lowering spring to my 07. Dropped the forks through the front yoke by 8mm as per instructions.

Two notes of caution:

1. This changes the geometry of the bike. The wheel base is shorter & the COG is lower. If you don't think this matters, wait til you tip it into the first serious bend after you've done the mod. Take spare underwear.

I'm not saying that it affects the handling in a bad way, but it becomes fierce on turn in. I've since found out that some sportsbike / track day fans drop the front yoke 10mm for that very reason to increase turn in speed.

2. Adjust your side stand length by the same amout as the new spring drops the bike. Failure to do so will cause your bike to fall over. You'll need a fabricating shop or a mate with some welding gear to do this.

Also, once you have fitted the new shock, the bike is an absolute bugger to get on the main stand. It's just a matter of physics, you've still got the same amout of leverage from the main stand kick peg, but you have to raise the bike that additional 25/30 mm.

Having said all this; I feel much safer happier on the bike now. And even with a 29\\" inside leg can reach the floor flat foot .

I am happy with the lowered seat I have, really happy.

But just as a matter of interest how much time and money do you think you spent lowerering your bike and wouldn`t it have been easier and cheaper just to get an after market seat?

Steve