Loving the FZ!

Tahlen

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it has been a few months since I started riding and I thought I would jump back on here with a status report. 1300 miles later and I am loving being on two wheels! So far this bike is everything I had hoped it would be and any issues I have found with it have been thoroughly covered in the many reviews that can be found online.

I am adapting well enough to the touchy throttle. It still 'feels' a little top heavy compared to the 250 dual-sport I took the BRC on, but only when I screw up in some way. Photos attached, the SV650 is my brother-in-law's, who is my wingman in the twisties. A pair of Bluetooth intercoms makes riding 251% better. :D

I have been riding some beautiful winding roads in the areas around Spokane lately and have noticed that the "chicken strips" developing on my tires are larger on the front than the back. I was curious if this indicated an issue with my suspension setup. For what it's worth I just discovered that the previous owner must have set the preload to 6. From what I understand this is correct for 2 up, but I should be a 4 based on my ~180lbs w/ gear. Tire pressure is checked usually once a week and is set at 33 front/36 rear.

From what I have read elsewhere online this could also be caused by the geometry difference between the narrow front tire and wide back tire. Just wanted to get some opinions on whether this is an issue I should be worrying about or not.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just going to get in here and say this before [MENTION=919]lytehouse[/MENTION] gets the chance. Save that pic for bike of the month, and keep trying to take more like it. If you haven't looked at the contest yet you can check out last month's contest, it just ended.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike, and glad you are enjoying it.

You are correct regarding the rear preload, i weight 180 lbs without gear and get 30mm of sag with the shock on 5.
With the shock on 6 i end up with 0 static sag, which is not good.

In a perfect world i would say spend a few minutes measuring and be sure about it.
If you cannot do it, i would agree that 4 would be about right for you.

Regarding the front tyre "chicken strip", it is normal for the front tyre to show a larger strip than the rear, nothing to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQdpV8BmFA

(if you are interested in suspension, there are a lot of very good videos by Dave Moss, the "two clicks out" series is full of great info, he also has great tutorials on setting sag ec.)

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a great bike! I've been loving mine for 3 years now! You'll get used to the throttle. A lot of newer FI books have this problem to aid in compliance with emissions/fuel economy.

I agree that the intercom can make rides easier, but don't forget to turn it off to really let yourself become absorbed into motorcycling. Something about just you and the bike riding awesome roads with awesome scenery is refreshing. The essence of motorcycling to me; clears my mind.

In regards to your chicken strip question the higher your rear end is, the more front tire is used. By increasing your preload, you're increasing the rear ride height in turn which causes more use of your front tire...think about the motorcycle dynamics of turn in, counter steering, all that it'll make sense. Play with preload to find what you are most comfortable while keeping it close to what the manual recommends with and forget about the chicken strips..

Edit: video by Carlos has good explanation about your chicken strip question also.

Last edited:

Tahlen

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the quick responses!

I have been thinking I needed to do something about it for a week or so now but the tool to adjust the suspension is missing from the bike toolkit. I'll just have to make a point of ordering that and get my sag setup properly. Can't do anything about the front just yet but at least I can get the rear in line.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
the tool to adjust the suspension is missing from the bike toolkit. I'll just have to make a point of ordering that and get my sag setup properly.

The suspension spanner tool that comes with the toolkit is absolute trash anyway. Belive me, Youre not missing it!

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't got any chicken strips at rear tyre. But for front, it's so hard to say same thing again.
Even full leaning, front tyre has some strips, except hang-off turning :)

Last edited:

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
The suspension spanner tool that comes with the toolkit is absolute trash anyway. Belive me, Youre not missing it!

Just wondering what's wrong with the spanner?Yeah, it's inexpensively made BUT,,it does what it is supposed to do.

So many bikes today don't come with ANY tools! :spank:
A cheap one is better than none. :thumbup:

Never had any problems using mine.Does what it's made to do.
Or are you forgetting to use the extension? :confused:

From what I read the Ural with sidecar has one of the best,even a tire pump!
Just my 2 cents. :rockon:

Rich

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering what's wrong with the spanner?Yeah, it's inexpensively made BUT,,it does what it is supposed to do.

So many bikes today don't come with ANY tools! :spank:
A cheap one is better than none. :thumbup:

Never had any problems using mine.Does what it's made to do.
Or are you forgetting to use the extension? :confused:

From what I read the Ural with sidecar has one of the best,even a tire pump!
Just my 2 cents. :rockon:

Rich

Jeez, mine was a peice of crap, the hook that grabs the eyelet in the shock rounded off and it wont grab anything. So I filed on it to square it back up and it just rounds off again. Its like butter-metal, look at it wrong and it might bend, haha

Also what is the extension you speak of? I dont think I have one. Maybe thats why i also didnt like it. because its too short, lol.

I do suppose that my tool kit is less than complete, I did buy the bike used.

Sorry about the Thread Jacking.

Tahlen

Reaction score
Visit site
Jeez, mine was a peice of crap, the hook that grabs the eyelet in the shock rounded off and it wont grab anything. So I filed on it to square it back up and it just rounds off again. Its like butter-metal, look at it wrong and it might bend, haha

Also what is the extension you speak of? I dont think I have one. Maybe thats why i also didnt like it. because its too short, lol.

I do suppose that my tool kit is less than complete, I did buy the bike used.

Sorry about the Thread Jacking.

Not really a thread jack imo. The extension is the hollow bar at the top of this photo. Fits over the end of the actual suspension tool.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
The extension is a tube that has been flattened on one end,gives you much more leverage!
Sounds like yours was made of wrong metal or improper heat-treat.
I can understand why you think it's useless.
Rich

Last edited: