Loud grinding noise when I released the clutch

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I pulled out of a parking lot, came to a stop sign and stopped completely. I revved it somewhat high and slowly released the clutch lever, and near the end of the release the bike made a brief but loud grinding noise. Sounded almost like it wasn't fully in gear, but I don't believe I ever changed out of first since i pulled out of the parking spot, and it was riding fine for the short ride up to the stop sign...

I haven't been able to reproduce this yet, but the bike is very new, just hit the 600 mile mark. I just changed the oil about 50 miles ago.

Anyone have this happen before, anything to be concerned about?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I pulled out of a parking lot, came to a stop sign and stopped completely. I revved it somewhat high and slowly released the clutch lever, and near the end of the release the bike made a brief but loud grinding noise. Sounded almost like it wasn't fully in gear, but I don't believe I ever changed out of first since i pulled out of the parking spot, and it was riding fine for the short ride up to the stop sign...

I haven't been able to reproduce this yet, but the bike is very new, just hit the 600 mile mark. I just changed the oil about 50 miles ago.

Anyone have this happen before, anything to be concerned about?

Did you have to shift it downwards again to get it into gear?

Sounds like you may not have had it into gear fully or bumped the shifter upwards slightly.

The gear box is a pretty stout unit..

You can adjust the shift lever height by adjusting the shifter rod on the left side. One nut is reverse thread, keep track of the direction you turn the rod and how far (use a tape measure and check before and after).

Just keep an eye on it..

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you have to shift it downwards again to get it into gear?

Sounds like you may not have had it into gear fully or bumped the shifter upwards slightly.

The gear box is a pretty stout unit..

You can adjust the shift lever height by adjusting the shifter rod on the left side. One nut is reverse thread, keep track of the direction you turn the rod and how far (use a tape measure and check before and after).

Just keep an eye on it..

I did not have to shift it again, it either popped into gear on its own if it wasnt fully into gear, or it was fully in gear the whole time.

Could this sound have been anything else other than not being fully in gear>

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being a brand new bike, I cannot think what else it could be. Check the play in your chain and make sure its within spec's listed on the swingarm/owners manual. If the countershaft sprocket was super worn, maybe (but not in this case).

I'd ride it and just pay attention to your shifting. Just make sure your fully in first gear before you let out the clutch.

I usually hold the clutch in for several seconds (from neutral) before shifting into first, lessens the clunk some..

It should shift smoother with time as well..

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Could just be the clutch slipping a little. They tend to make a grinding noise that is deep in sound (I'm hopeless with describing noises) i know I have had mine do it a few times when taking off real fast high on the revs from a stop. The tdm900 are bad for it also.