Loud "clunk" rattle when going over bumps

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Pardon the delay, I intended to post earlier but was exhausted. But not discouraged. Here is the latest. I managed to tighten down the nuts on steering stem just enough to eliminate all play, it was about 1/8" max on the lower threads. Ah, but then I test rode it and the clunk is still there, so it must be fairing related or possibly battery. I'm glad that I could eliminate the bearing nuts, and there is not any movement there now. I will focus in on the body parts and remove pieces as necessary and ride, so I can identify this.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
just got this clunk myself, thanks to all for all the tips as I am planning to possibly work on my bike this long weekend if my 11 month old will allow me. Hoping it just needs tightening a bit

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike was making a "Chunk" noise when I rode down a curb to go home from work. Took ages to find it. The two bolts holding the tank down were loose.
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can hit the same spot (or similar) in the road where it makes the clunk. You can try applying the brake to see if the clunk goes away. Disk calipers float and can be noisy when shaking. Applying a little brake will snug the calipers and if it's the source you'll know what's happening. :)

Also check all your frame to engine mounts!

Last edited:

Slopeflyer

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same thing. It scared me. All it was a screw had fallen out of side of the speedometer and stuck between it and the windscreen. Sounded just like what you described.

jeadra

Reaction score
Visit site
Best of luck finding it...mine developed a clunk not long after I bought it, about 9000 miles. Didn't have a wobble on the forks while on the center stand, but still, after checking it I had a very loose steering head nut. Tightened it down with the spanner wrench, and the clunk disappeared.

Hasn't returned since, but I should probably check the bearings again soon. They have a tendency to go bad quickly on these bikes, and I have about 22,000 miles on her now.

AlisAquilae

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 had a clunk similar to what you are describing. I took the front fairing apart and two of the nuts holding the mirrors to the fairing stay had disappeared. I had lost the top nut from the left mirror and bottom nut from the right mirror. After replacing them with the Nyloc variety, the sounds promptly went away.

-B