Looking for a 9mm...thoughts?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm back in the market for another pistol, I'm not looking for another hand cannon because that spot is currently owned by my 9.5" super redhawk. I want something with a nice smooth trigger pull, because the last semi I had was a variant of the s&w m&p and would leave a blister on your trigger finger after about 30rds seeing how it didn't have a safety. Unfortunately I bought that gun sight unseen to help out a friend, something I've never done, buy a gun without shooting it. But anyways I'm not a fan of clones and knockoffs, the last one was a s&w and just can't remember the exact model because I despised that gun and cared nothing for it. That being said I think I've narrowed my choices down to either a cz 75, cz 75b, but prefer the cz 75 sp-01 phantom, Springfield xd or xdm, or the magnum research baby eagle.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Back in the day I had a CZ-75, my wife still owns a CZ-83.

I don't remember which derivative of the 75 I had but it was prior to 1995.

Nice big grip with the staggered 15 shot clip. The 83 has a 13 shot clip, ambidextrous safety and clip release

cz75_11.jpg

cz83.jpg

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Owned a service and subcompact XD9 and liked it a lot ran great never any failures. I went back to GLOCKs because I just shoot them better than XDs.

You can't go wrong with any of the modern polymer framed pistols out there right now except maybe the S&W Sigma series.

Sent from my iPhone

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Owned a service and subcompact XD9 and liked it a lot ran great never any failures. I went back to GLOCKs because I just shoot them better than XDs.

You can't go wrong with any of the modern polymer framed pistols out there right now except maybe the S&W Sigma series.

Sent from my iPhone

That's what it was not a m&p a sigma and It was garbage

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
How heavy is the trigger on the guns y'all just mentioned? I plan on shooting them first before I buy but I would like to have some first hand knowledge before hand

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
The XD 9mm has plenty of options for aftermarket triggers to adjust the pull. My XD40 is light but long. Mostly related to the trigger safety I'm sure. The XD does have an actual grip safety which the glock lacks.

The XD shoots tighter groups as well, but in the end, you should just pick the gun you shoot best with. That happens to be the XD for me, but I won't hate you if it's the glock. :) I don't care for fanboy crap, personally.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I don't really like glocks much just because of their popularity, I've always been the person to do just the opposite of everyone else, I do respect them for what they are and would love to have a 18, but ya I plan on shooting all of them first before I get one to find the one that fits me best

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
They're popular for a reason lol.

The Sigma was basically a direct GLOCK ripoff changed just enough to avoid patent issues and built to a crappier standard which resulted in a subpar polymer framed pistol.

Sent from my iPhone

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I don't really like glocks much just because of their popularity, I've always been the person to do just the opposite of everyone else, I do respect them for what they are and would love to have a 18, but ya I plan on shooting all of them first before I get one to find the one that fits me best

You and me think alike. I think it's an ugly pistol too.

I've not shot a CZ in years, if I recall I liked it. I've been very happy with my 92FS for the past 15 years.

txlyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I puchased my first pistol for CCW a few days ago. I went with a Glock 19. Here's what I based my purchase on.

Comfort, first and foremost
Compact design, for ccw purposes
I was looking for a 9mm (less recoil, cheaper ammo for beginner, abundance of 9mm cartridges everywhere)
Being able to field strip without the need for tools
IF anything goes down, (hopefully it never does) I didn't want to have to think "safety first"

The Glock 19 just fit my hand. Raised finger grips just worked for me. The compact xd and xdm both had too short of grip.. I couldn't find a home for my pinky unless the magazine was in. I tried out an m&p also, and the compact version was a no go. Same problem as listed above. The grip was too plain as well. The standard size, however, wasn't bad at all, but the frame in itself was too much for a hip carry everyday. This may be concidered as a "range" pistol once I get accustomed to my carry.

I did like the fact that all of these guns had adjustable backstraps, even though I went with a 3rd gen with the smoother grip and no adj backstraps.

The comfort was there, the no tool field strip, the durability the glock name carries, as well as the trigger only safety. It just works for me. The trigger pull was shorter than both the above guns as well. I switched between this and my father's xdm .40 and the pull made me anticipate the first shot because the pull was much longer than I was just getting used to. This also goes with being a novice, but it still happened so I figured I'd document.

I'm happy with my first purchase. Now it is time to learn and get more. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
My best friend, a Marine, purchased the XD in both a 9MM and a .45

He has had great luck with both of them and encouraged me to get the 9MM when I'm in the market for a handgun, since it fires smoothly and accurately (per his description)

DSC02093.jpg

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You and me think alike. I think it's an ugly pistol too.

I've not shot a CZ in years, if I recall I liked it. I've been very happy with my 92FS for the past 15 years.

I could care less about looks when it comes down to the purchase but, at the same time if I like the way the gun looks that fits me then that's a huge plus. And yeah to me the glocks kind of look like a toy, I like pistols to look rugged not toyish, even though I know glocks are extremely well built. I've also given a little thought about the 92fs but considering I can get pretty much the same quality gun for about a $100 cheaper then the baretta, it would probably be the bottom on my list for now, unless I fall in love with shooting it compared to others. Out of all the guns I've been considering I think the cz 75 sp-01 phantom looks the best plus IIRC it holds 18 rounds which is also a plus, since it's primary use is going to be target shooting. So if I had to pick a gun without shooting any of them then that would be my choice right now

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the real question is: Do you want to carry it or do you just want home defense with some range days? I can vouch for the XDm in all sizes and calibers. I have a ton of friends that have them. I carried a Beretta M9 when I was in the Marines and I like it a lot, very simple to use and maintain but I was partial to Sig (My current carry: P229 SAS, in 40). HK's are nice but I have no idea why they changed their safety/decoker (<censor fail) to some casted nylon plastic material which feels weak as hell. But its what ever is comfortable to YOU!

Also, check out gunbroker.com for some decent prices.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
To be completely honest I would love to carry, but I'm pretty lazy and absolutely despise filling out paperwork, plus i don't know exactly how it all works but I don't like the idea of the government being able to keep tabs on me. But not knowing how it works I might just be talking out of my a$$ saying that. So the gun would be primarily for target shooting/range days and home defense if necessary, but in the event that some unlucky person breaks into my home while I'm sleeping, I keep my very first gun that i got for my 14th birthday tucked away within arms reach of my bed. It's a 20ga 870 express, the youth model so it's a pretty light weight and short gun. I keep it loaded with slug, buckshoot, slug, buckshoot, buckshoot with the chamber open. And if that doesn't work then I also keep my ruger super redhawk .44 in the top drawer of my armwour- sp?

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
To be completely honest I would love to carry, but I'm pretty lazy and absolutely despise filling out paperwork, plus i don't know exactly how it all works but I don't like the idea of the government being able to keep tabs on me. But not knowing how it works I might just be talking out of my a$$ saying that. So the gun would be primarily for target shooting/range days and home defense if necessary, but in the event that some unlucky person breaks into my home while I'm sleeping, I keep my very first gun that i got for my 14th birthday tucked away within arms reach of my bed. It's a 20ga 870 express, the youth model so it's a pretty light weight and short gun. I keep it loaded with slug, buckshoot, slug, buckshoot, buckshoot with the chamber open. And if that doesn't work then I also keep my ruger super redhawk .44 in the top drawer of my armwour- sp?

Here in Texas it's not too bad. Fill out paperwork go get some fingerprints and send it in. Takes about 30 days to process the paperwork. For civies it's 170 dollars IIRC plus how ever much you pay for the course for military active, retired, ect it's free.

After that it's like a drivers license renew ever 5 years I think I'm in the renewal process right now, just more expensive........unless your military lol. And you have to go back for a renewal course.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
I am very happy with my H&K USPC 9mm, but I am in the market currently for something smaller. I've narrowed my seach down to the PPS, Nano, and the LC9.

These three are small and very easy to conceal.

Went looking today and I am leaning more towards the Nano.

Sent from my Droid via Tapatalk