Look what I found!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be paranoid - probably ran over the screw.

As for fixing it yourself, I wouldn't trust a tyre that had a nail/screw in it. You need to take it to a tyre place just to check if there is a hole that has gone through.

No paranoia here :D (not my tire), just curious as to whether insurance would deal with tire 'vandalism' in the same way they would if someone spray-painted graffiti on your vehicle... Obviously you would need more than one screw, in multiple places throughout the tire, as TownsendsFJR1300 said. I find it curious though that the screw in the OP's pics appears to have been screwed into the tire at 90 degrees to the direction of travel. One would think that if he had picked it up while riding it would have been angled in, and not buried like it was... :confused:

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get it, what are you trying to convey with those pictures. It's ok to ride with the small tear?

I think its that the tiny hole caused faster tire wear, all around the tear.
Thats interesting. Doesn't bode well for your [screwed] tire though.

Maybe you should get a professional to have a look at it.
Then again if you treat it yourself and keep a close eye on it it might be cheaper, or the same price in the end.

:don'tknow:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
It won't be vandalism, more likely you ran over the screw. The rubber self heals a little which makes the screw appear to have been screwed in.

Place the screw into one of the groves, if it sits below the tyre then you haven't gone too far through the tread, therefore doubtful you will have any damage to the tyre construction.

Plugging the tyre will require actually making a hole through the tyre which is going to be worse than it already is.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I had something similar a couple years ago. It didn't leak or anything, just a small tear through the upper layers of the rubber. I kept an eye on it and this is what it went from/to in about two weeks time.

Actually looking at the picture dates, that was only one week.

You can take a tire from new to showing cords in one week if you ride enough, or have enough weight on the back of the bike. To me, that just looks like you wore out your tire.

How many miles were on the tire before you took the screw? It looks like it was already worn down quite a bit in the center.

To the original poster, if it doesn't leak, keep on riding it but make regular checks of air pressure and tire shape.

Fred

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
So far so good. I've been monitoring the tire, no leak whatsover. I've been riding my usual aggressive style too. So it looks like I got away with one.

Would it be wrong to fill the small hole in the tire with something like rubber cement or super glue? I'm not going to puncture a new hole in it, just thought it might be better to fill the gap with SOMETHING.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to convey is that even though it didn't fully puncture the tire, it'll wear differently from that spot regardless. It could be the one thing that leaves you stranded or worse when you least expect it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to convey is that even though it didn't fully puncture the tire, it'll wear differently from that spot regardless. It could be the one thing that leaves you stranded or worse when you least expect it.

Your tire was flat wore out and if its worn more on one side than the other, its either out of balance or it was locked up. That tire should have been replaced 1000 miles ago...

Your looking for a blow out with the tire that thin. Its also much more more likely to go flat should you pick up a screw/nail...

A new tire (when needed) is much cheaper/safer than a new tire plus new plastic/ bent bars / etc, if /when you go down plus you get some new scars!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So far so good. I've been monitoring the tire, no leak whatsover. I've been riding my usual aggressive style too. So it looks like I got away with one.

Would it be wrong to fill the small hole in the tire with something like rubber cement or super glue? I'm not going to puncture a new hole in it, just thought it might be better to fill the gap with SOMETHING.

+1 on Freds post.

I'd leave the tire alone, its fine. If you want, and you should anyway, check your tires every once in awhile for safety reasons.

I would NOT PUNCTURE a tire that does NOT LEAK...

Last edited:

galland1

Reaction score
Visit site
You ran over a screw. If it doesn't leak ride it and keep an eye on your pressures for a while. It's likely OK.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
If you use soap to test for leaks or any slippery liquid, please remember to rinse well so the tire isn't slippery when done.

If it ain't leaking, screw it (no pun intended) and just ride -- however, you will have to monitor it and keep it in your head that this is possibly a substandard tire on the back. If you're ok with that and have a way to get back home or to a shop everytime you ride, it's all good. Also, remember, if it does leak and you're in a turn leaned over, it may leak, etc. It may not be a big deal but for me it would always be stuck in my head about possible leak.

If you remove the tire yourself and bring it to the shop, you can get it plugged and/or get a new tire; most shops charge less if you just bring the wheel/tire as opposed to whole bike. It's a shame that the tire only has 1000 miles or so.

Personally, I'd just test it and if it's good (esp. if the screw is only the length of the tread depth), I'd just ride with it and not feel shy about using up the rear tire fast so I can justify a new one.

I don't know about your insurance deductible but if it were me, I'd just get another tire or get it fixed and forget about it (i.e., no insurance involvement) -- believe me, if it was sabotage, they will get theirs. Life's too short to worry about the "not so nice" people of this world.

Dennis

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can take a tire from new to showing cords in one week if you ride enough, or have enough weight on the back of the bike. To me, that just looks like you wore out your tire.

How many miles were on the tire before you took the screw? It looks like it was already worn down quite a bit in the center.

To the original poster, if it doesn't leak, keep on riding it but make regular checks of air pressure and tire shape.

Fred

Your tire was flat wore out and if its worn more on one side than the other, its either out of balance or it was locked up. That tire should have been replaced 1000 miles ago...

Your looking for a blow out with the tire that thin. Its also much more more likely to go flat should you pick up a screw/nail...

A new tire (when needed) is much cheaper/safer than a new tire plus new plastic/ bent bars / etc, if /when you go down plus you get some new scars!

Ok, I didn't post those pics to ask opinions on whether the tire was worn or not. :rolleyes: The second and third pics are when I noticed that it had a small nick in it, likely from a nail or something many many miles ago. It's my opinion that having that nick in the tire caused accelerated wear at that spot. I never pulled a nail or screw from my tire just noticed that one day. That tire was not locked up or out of balance. Your tire is relatively new so your results may be totally different from mine. :thumbup:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I'm paranoid, and you're not helping.... but what do you mean 'too far apart from being run over'? Just so you know, the second picture is how I found the screw. The third picture I've already unscrew it a little...

I may be late to this party but it is only one screw, a very short one and the type that could easily sit point up on the ground. I think you just ran it over. It would screw itself in from the pressure exerted by the weight of the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I didn't post those pics to ask opinions on whether the tire was worn or not. :rolleyes: The second and third pics are when I noticed that it had a small nick in it, likely from a nail or something many many miles ago. It's my opinion that having that nick in the tire caused accelerated wear at that spot. I never pulled a nail or screw from my tire just noticed that one day. That tire was not locked up or out of balance. Your tire is relatively new so your results may be totally different from mine. :thumbup:

The nick you show, doesn't have any inner cords of the tire visable.

Clearly, there's more rubber showing where your nick is, so I guess I'm missing your logic.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The nick you show, doesn't have any inner cords of the tire visable.

Clearly, there's more rubber showing where your nick is, so I guess I'm missing your logic.

:confused: I never said anything about cords showing because of the nick? :confused: My logic is that any hole or gash or nick will wear differently. The tire builds up heat and as a result instead of just wearing down evenly, it will also wear outward and the hole/gash/nick can "grow". :thumbup: That's all I was trying to convey.