Long trip and my first wreck. (US-129 The dragon)

IanH

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like an amazing road (and the video is awesome quality too). Very sorry you went down, but boy I can see how a person would get tired on that set of twisties. I'm curious what your average speed was like through those sorts of turns. Also, can anyone recommend a good twisty road or two in central and upstate NY? I bought my 2007 Fz6 a month ago (1st bike after MSF course) with 1490 miles on it for $3500 and have put 500 miles on it since then; just looking at those turns intimidates me, but I could enjoy taking a road like that nice and slow at first.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Sorry to hear about the crash, but definitely glad that you're ok.

The first time I rode through the Dragon, I went at granny speeds. Had no interest in making any mistakes. Come to think of it, I still go through it pretty slow. :rolleyes: However, I was almost taken out by some cruisers coming the opposite way who went into the curve too hot and wide.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like an amazing road (and the video is awesome quality too). Very sorry you went down, but boy I can see how a person would get tired on that set of twisties. I'm curious what your average speed was like through those sorts of turns. Also, can anyone recommend a good twisty road or two in central and upstate NY? I bought my 2007 Fz6 a month ago (1st bike after MSF course) with 1490 miles on it for $3500 and have put 500 miles on it since then; just looking at those turns intimidates me, but I could enjoy taking a road like that nice and slow at first.

I think our top speed was around 45 but most turns were 35 mph or under. I am basically in 2nd gear that whole video. I was told a while back to just stick to a gear most of the way so you have one less thing to worry about. That's why it sounds like I am revving sort of high.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the crash, but definitely glad that you're ok.

The first time I rode through the Dragon, I went at granny speeds. Had no interest in making any mistakes. Come to think of it, I still go through it pretty slow. :rolleyes: However, I was almost taken out by some cruisers coming the opposite way who went into the curve too hot and wide.

Thanks. Yeah next year I am going to not push it very much at all. It's a fun road even at slow speeds, and riding the 400-500 miles home is a lot more fun when your ankle isn't the size of a softball.